Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

I only got 4+ years to go for retirement but it seems forever. How do some of you who already retired in Pattaya coped with your wait for retirement?

Edited by York

Before retiring, THINK long and hard about WHAT makes you happy--

After a few weeks of strolling the beach, watching TV, and chasing girls in Pattaya you'll probably be bored.

Bottom line--If you're not happy now, moving to Pattaya over the long term will have little effect.

I cut it short and moved here with 15 years to go, ...nearly four years ago.

For some it works, for some it don’t, it did for me though. :chogdee2

Important that you have enough funds to see you though to the end.

:chogdee2

Mike.

What about having your own bar or resturant or something in Pattaya.Would that not keep u with anough money to survive in Los.Want to do that meself.Only 25 and can not wait 2 retirment.Have to sort out a way to survive in Thailand.Am an eletrician by trade but thats no good in Thailand.

The younger guys wanting to move to Pattaya have to embrace the idea that their experience base is pretty sparse. They may not have vacationed other places before. If not, rest assured that it's pretty common after a vacation anywhere to imagine living there, girls or no girls.

Also, younger guys wanting to move to Pattaya need to rethink their phrasing. It ain't retirement. It's relocation. You will still work, unless you're a trust fund baby. Working in Thailand is at Thai wages 95% of the time and the remaining 5% of guys who have their western companies pay them to be there at their usual salary . . . well, that 5% is getting smaller all the time as the companies catch on.

There's not usually a short cut. Work, save money, don't lose it in a divorce, and then in your mid 30's look at the numbers and what is possible.

What about having your own bar or resturant or something in Pattaya.Would that not keep u with anough money to survive in Los.Want to do that meself.Only 25 and can not wait 2 retirment.Have to sort out a way to survive in Thailand.Am an eletrician by trade but thats no good in Thailand.

Great idea!

There aren't enough bars and restaurants in Pattaya.

I am moving to Thailand permanently in December 2007. Currently I am semi-permanent speding around 6 months of the year here. This will not be to Pattaya though.

Been working on and off in SEA for 21 years and when I move I will be 46. Funded by sale of house and business (I have never worked for anyone else since leaving University all those years ago).

Over the last 5 years I have been building a "online" business which can be run from anywhere. That is currently gross around $7k per month nett around $4.5k.

My point is twofold

1. However old you are its best to plan for a reasonable length of time - I made my plans to relocate 5 years ago hence the deliberate decision to develope the online business.

2. Younger guys - you may not be able to sell a house a business or have the "saved" funds - but it IS possible to relocate with proper planning.

I have TWO tips for anyone considering it, though I stress this is a personal opinion only as each person will feel differently about this kind of thing.

The first was passed to me by a UK national who has been living in LOS for over 25 years. He told me "why do a business that has a market of 25,000 "farang" when you can sell your products or services to 20 million Thais, or in the case of online sale "to ther world" (those figures are just off the top of my head but you get the point. Effectivley "don't get into the bar business"!

Secondly - if you have been an "employee" all your life be VERY careful about suddenly becoming "self employed". It doesn't suit everyone for a myriad of reasons. Failure rates are high even in your own country so you need to be especially dilligent relocating and changing your whole way of living/thinking. Many people I have met in Thailand tried it and simply could not cope without the regualr pay-cheque.

PLAN PLAN and PLAN - however great the temptation to jump ship and move asap.

Also I think Owen's advice is VERY sound - be VERY sure its what you really want. I had been here over 40 times before I finally made up my mind to actually relocate. Far better to work hard and have two holidays a year here for a while. As many people can attest to - the thrill wears off for some people after a while.

http://www.cheap-flight-deals.blogspot.com

Yea sound advise.Wil take my time with the move.It probobly wont happen till im in my 30s for financal reasons.Have traveled the world and i am convinced that no were suites me better than Thailand for many reasons.The only problem is a steddy income which i wil have 2 sort out something.

The only problem is a steddy income which i wil have 2 sort out something.

Hi,

IMO a business of some sort is a must. Maybe a B+B type establishment with some rooms, small bar and cafe? Wages are low so hiring is not a problem. Working for others is not an option in LOS unless you have an ex-pat salary from a Blue Chip company.

anto 24, electician is very good trade if you want to spend more time in thailand, I would recommend trying to get a bar there, why dont you try and find a job on the oil rigs you work 4 weeks then get 4 weeks off through the year, or just go sub contractor work 3 months take 6 weeks off I know alot of people who do that.

Yea Stephen that is a good idea.Wil look into getting a job on an oil rig.Would like to think there would be good money in that and 4 weeks on and off sounds great.Would be good experience for my trade as well.Would u have any idea what the money is like on the rigs around thailand?

I am considering retirement in LOS (maybe chiang mai or Pattaya) but upon reading about all the rules and regulations, seems the chances of acceptance of Thai Govt allowing outsiders from(US or Canada) seems very difficult to stay long term. :D