Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

whenI get to thailand I think my plane will be landing in bangkok how far is the air port from the city? just in case I want to hang out there befor I head to pattya and is it as good as pattya which I hear is like 2hrs away or should I just go to pattya....

That really depends on a lot of things as to what type of answer you are going to get.

#1 - What date do you arrive. Arriving at the new airport will make your times and distances different than arriving at the old airport.

#2 - What time of day are you arriving?

My answer to your questions will be the same regardless, although others will disagree. No matter what time of day or which airport you are arriving at I would head straight to Pattaya. :clueless

If you are planning on going from Don Muang to the Sukhumvit area - figure on about 1/2 hour - more if it is rush hour.

From the new airport scheduled to open at the end of September, 2006, add another 1/2 hour (at least)

New airport will be 50 Km closer to Pattaya.

My advice - skip BKK no matter which airport and go straight to Pattaya

Edited by upena

There are a lot of us who enjoy Bangkok. Many people split their trip with at least some time spent in both Bangkok and Pattaya. With the opening of the new airport the transportation cost of visiting both going to rise significantly. Not an unsurmountable problem but it still needs to be taken into consideration.

Though old hat for many, there is much fun still to be had at Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy. A couple days stop in BKK can be great fun before starting the real holiday in Pattaya. Many would argue that since prices are higher in BKK, there are more stunners to be had. No matter where you decide to go, you'll have a great time as long as you bring lots of baht. cheers

I wouldn't worry about Bangkok, mate. It's a big, dirty, polluted city and its night life has been emasculated by the Taksin government. Just jump into a taxi at the airport, and head off straight down to Pattaya !

must admit i cant understand why the cost of a taxi to"bangkok" would rise significantly as both airports seem to be pretty much the same distance to nana etc.Other than the fact that the cost of an arranged driver may go up "because they can and will lift the price" but if using a metered tazi dont see much of a difference.

ozboy

• 4 weeks later...
If you are planning on going from Don Muang to the Sukhumvit area - figure on about 1/2 hour - more if it is rush hour.

From the new airport scheduled to open at the end of September, 2006, add another 1/2 hour (at least)

New airport will be 50 Km closer to Pattaya.

My advice - skip BKK no matter which airport and go straight to Pattaya

Eh? BOTH airports are about 30-45 minutes from Sukhumvit area depending on the traffic.

The new airport ois only 3 Km further away, just on the other side

A taxi from both to Sukhumvit (Nana) will cost you around 250 baht + toll charges (60 baht) PROVIDING you put the meter on. If you don't they are asking 400-500 baht - don't accept it.