Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

I've spent many months in LOS over the past 6 or 7 years, but always 30 days at a time. I would like to stay 90 days next time. I looked on the Los Angeles Consulate web-site. The only 90 day option they note is the Non-Immigrant Visa. But they specifically say, "Non-immigrant visas will not be issued for such purposes as tourism, seeking employment opportunities, looking for a school for teaching or studying purposes, etc." However, they also say, "The Consulate will consider the application on a case-by-case basis and may ask for additional documents."

Does anyone have experience getting and using this type of Visa? If so, what did you say was the purpose of your trip?

I've spent many months in LOS over the past 6 or 7 years, but always 30 days at a time. I would like to stay 90 days next time. I looked on the Los Angeles Consulate web-site. The only 90 day option they note is the Non-Immigrant Visa. But they specifically say, "Non-immigrant visas will not be issued for such purposes as tourism, seeking employment opportunities, looking for a school for teaching or studying purposes, etc." However, they also say, "The Consulate will consider the application on a case-by-case basis and may ask for additional documents."

Does anyone have experience getting and using this type of Visa? If so, what did you say was the purpose of your trip?

What you should be applying for is a TOURIST VISA this is a 60 day visa which can then be extended for a further 30 days.

The non-immigrant visa is reallyonly for working/staying, and is really only useful for working/staying permanently. You want a tourist visa.

To answer your question directly, you can claim you have a lead on a job in Thailand and will be interviewed when you get there, but when they start asking for details you may be sorry you didn't just ask for a tourist one. They have the right to, and often do demand a letter from your (prospective) employer or the paperwork for your retirement.

Thanks for your info. How is the extension done? A visa run out of country or a visit to Thai Immigration?

It's easy. You go to the office in Jomtiem Beach in the morning with your documentation, pay 1900 Baud, and pick up your 30 day extension that afternoon. If you need photos, photocopies, etc. there is a place next door for this.

Piece of cake.

Piece of cake.

Absolutely second that. Extension of a proper visa (or "non-visa" airport stamp) is simple, efficient and decidedly un-scary. You need a mug-shot (passport) photo and photocopies of the pages in your passport that have the passport info (the page with your pic on it) and the page(s) with your visa/stamp/arrival card.

Hi not sure about from the usa ,but i applied for a year tourist visa and got one in four days start to finish cost £90.00 and had to be accompanied by a letter from a proffesional that you know stating they will pay your way flights etc if you run out of money and they have known you for more than 5 Years

hope this helps louis got a year visa much happier and im 40 <huh

Hi not sure about from the usa ,but i applied for a year tourist visa and got one in four days start to finish cost £90.00 and had to be accompanied by a letter from a proffesional that you know stating they will pay your way flights etc if you run out of money and they have known you for more than 5 Years

hope this helps louis got a year visa much happier and im 40

The visa can be used any time in one year - "used" meaning you can present it to Thai immigration at the border any time during the one year validity. After that one year, if you do not use it, you no longer have a valid visa.

When you use it (including on Day 364 if you wish), THEN the visa will be stamped to allow you to stay in Thailand for 60 days. It can be extended for 30 more days easily. It MAY be extendable again although probably not. You may (or may not) have a multiple-entry visa, which means you can go in and out two or more times and restart a 60-day stay -- but again, within the one year of visa validity.

Don't confuse these two parts of the process.

There is now a huge advantage to having a visa over not having a visa. I really recommend everyone follow your example.

In the UK the Royal Thai Consulate in Hull have a website. www.thaiconsul-uk.com. They have a 3rd option for a 90 day visa which is "Visiting friends/relatives or extended stay" in this category you do not need a sponsor's letter but just complete & sign a form to say you have funds to repatriate yourself. I have been issued with such a visa with no problem the forms are available on the website.

Check the information on this site.

While thes rules might not be accepted in the US (or elsewhere) they could be used in support of a 90 day visa application by showing how the rules are interpreted in the UK.

stevoh.

below is just my experiance

i called the embassy in LA

got a american on the phone

had a long chat

drove to the embassy in LA

was told a different story

if you read the board(s) you will find:

each embassy/consulate treats the rules different

no matter what country they are in

the offices in Thailand all treat them different

ie: bkk, pattaya, etc

the officials at Suwanapumi are the most mixed up

and on this board alone there are probably 20 different answers

by "experts" with "first hand" knowledge

here is what i did:

i paid $50 to the consulate for a 2 entry tourist visa

must be used in 6 months

each entry can be for 60 days, and one 30 day extension

this is treated differently than a "visa on arrival"

i am reasonably certain that i can get in to Thailand

i used this visa on my trip in march

the staff looked at all my entry dates ( many )

called a buddy over counted the days, etc.

i kept pointing to the Visa in my passport

they were convinced that i could not come in

because of the new rules

a third guy came over and agreed to let me in

rember: T.I.T (this is thailand)

fyi

a small story

in January, i had about 3 hours to kill at Suwanapumi

i talked to FIVE different officials

i got FIVE different answers

i talked to FIVE different officials

i got FIVE different answers

This is the most useful post on this thread. There are rules, but every single Thai government rule ends with a "... unless in the opinion of the examining officer.... " clause.

Which means there are no rules.

The only rule that never changes is:

If you are seen to be acting like an asshole, you are phuocked. Otherwise, it'll be sorted out eventually.

yeah, it's really sad that all this is open to the interpretation of the officer in charge wherever you apply for the visa

you can get a 30 day extension through a visa service about 2000 baht or you can apply for one in person . dont know what the cost is

You can only extend a visa legally by applying in person, if the visa is extendable, the fee is about 2000thb, if not a visa run can be made for about 2000thb, better value if you fancy a day out!.

In the UK the Royal Thai Consulate in Hull have a website. www.thaiconsul-uk.com. They have a 3rd option for a 90 day visa which is "Visiting friends/relatives or extended stay" in this category you do not need a sponsor's letter but just complete & sign a form to say you have funds to repatriate yourself. I have been issued with such a visa with no problem the forms are available on the website.

Check the information on this site.

While thes rules might not be accepted in the US (or elsewhere) they could be used in support of a 90 day visa application by showing how the rules are interpreted in the UK.

stevoh.

Or used to close down the Hull Consulate! It is best to keep good things to yourself when it comes to Thailand not give other folks the opportunity to screw it up! :D

Edited by spacebass

Ben here isn't lying. My own visa acquisition was laughably easy. But getting one for my daughter.............an absolute nightmare and each time we called the consulate we got a different answer from a different person. Total cluster fuck which we just finally got resolution on.

Like others have said it depends on who you talk to and which embassy/consulate you go to. Some are a lot easier than others. I got a one year Non-Immigrant Type-O visa form the Perth (Australia) with complete ease. I now other places only issue them sparingly. The visa is a multiple entry visa and 90 days is given at each entry. It is possible to stay in Thailand for up to 15 months on this visa (with 4 border runs.)