Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

I am planning on staying in Thailand for more than a month, and I understand I need a Visa to extend my stay. I am currently on Probation (Summary) which will end next month. I am leaving Jan 13. Does anyone know if I have to wait till after then or does it matter? I live in the US.

For stays of 30 days and less the tourist visa you get at immigration in Thailand will do OK but you can do the Visa run to the Vietnamese or Cambodian border and get another 30 days or if you want only another 14 days or less, I believe that the immigration office in Jomtien will extend your 30 day visa for a further 14 days at a cost of 1900 baht ,much the same as a visa run but you don't need to spend the whole day on a mini bus.Alternatively you can apply at the tHAI CONSULATE IN YOUR OWN COUNTRY FOR EITHER A 60 DAY OR A 90 DAY VISA.

If you're just asking for a Visitors Visa(60 day) for longer than the 30 day Visa on arrival you don't have to worry because the form info you submit does not mention any background check. I just applied and received it last week from the Thai consulate in Canada. If you are applying for a retirement Visa or something along those lines then you have to worry.

I appreciate the humor, but I am not a criminal. I was cited for a minor offense, probation not parole

Well, always happy to raise a smile, but you missed the point: Thailand doesn't care. If you can travel, you can travel to Thailand.