Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

I was in Tucom yesterday and I saw this device and service called Mobile Net. You plug a receiver/transmitter into a USB port and then pay a monthly fee for GSM internet access. AIS, DTAC etc provide the service. Email, SMS etc. The receiver is about 6K Baht. Not sure if it is full internet.

Has anyone used it? Is it an alternative for when ADSL or WIFI is not available?

I was in Tucom yesterday and I saw this device and service called Mobile Net. You plug a receiver/transmitter into a USB port and then pay a monthly fee for GSM internet access. AIS, DTAC etc provide the service. Email, SMS etc. The receiver is about 6K Baht. Not sure if it is full internet.

Has anyone used it? Is it an alternative for when ADSL or WIFI is not available?

I'm not 100 percent sure but I would bet it is a GPRS modem. You put a SIM card in it and use either AIS or Dtac service. Both AIS and Dtac have nationwide EDGE coverage now. EDGE is about four or five times faster than the old GPRS.

That modem does nothing that a good cell phone won't do. I use a Nokia E51 that has the latest and greatest communication goodies. I had Ipstar (SHITstar) Satellite Internet and told them to come and get their junk. TERRIBLE service. The GPRS EDGE works better for me than Shitstar ever did and I get 250 hours a month for 500 baht. I would guess that 3G GSM will be available before too long and my phone can use it. An E51 cost between 10,000 and 11,000 baht and is a great phone.

One warning is that my EDGE coverage in Jomtien is quite a bit slower than up country. I'd guess that is because of many more users in Jomtien.

I have used that before when I was outside of Bangkok with no Internet connection. I did however use the mobile phone connected to the laptop to surf. I got about the same download speeds as a 56k modem.

Not bad considering where I was sitting though!

I live on the darkside just outside of the ADSL catchment area...use my Nokia N72 and DTac....Edge gets me 230kbs which while poor compared to ADSL is the best I can get here and a lot better than GPRS....I pay 260 baht or so for 7 days unlimited access.....just have to phone DTac every 7 days and re-subscribe...

http://www.edgethailand.com/index.php

Here is the AIS EDGE speed that I just tested;

Last Result:

Download Speed: 212 kbps (26.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 44 kbps (5.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

I also have a Dtac SIM and the speed is nearly the same as AIS. Dtac EDGE is more expensive to use and a pain in the ass to subscribe to. AIS EDGE is automated and VERY easy to change packages if you want.

I use AIS Edge here, just on the East side of Sukhumvit in Pattaya.

It is super cheap, at about 200 baht (+tax) for 50 hours usage in the month. Extra usage is charged at 1 baht/minute. It is useless, no worse than that, an exercise in frustration. Easy to get onto the network, and have my time deducted, but frequently unable to access internet, particularly outside of Thailand and very slow, the rare times it does work. I have to avoid peak periods, 7-9am, mid afternoon and all evening!

I get the impression that access to the internet is prioritised, with my name at the bottom.

Frequently I have to disconnect and switch my phone off for a while.

I found it worked better when I was travelling in the North last year.

I am looking at Hutch MBI, 12500 baht/year unlimited and free hardware.... any opinions!

Edited by jacko
I use AIS Edge here, just on the East side of Sukhumvit in Pattaya.

It is super cheap, at about 200 baht (+tax) for 50 hours usage in the month. Extra usage is charged at 1 baht/minute. It is useless, no worse than that, an exercise in frustration. Easy to get onto the network, and have my time deducted, but frequently unable to access internet, particularly outside of Thailand and very slow, the rare times it does work. I have to avoid peak periods, 7-9am, mid afternoon and all evening!

I get the impression that access to the internet is prioritised, with my name at the bottom.

Frequently I have to disconnect and switch my phone off for a while.

I found it worked better when I was travelling in the North last year.

I am looking at Hutch MBI, 12500 baht/year unlimited and free hardware.... any opinions!

Are you sure your phone is EDGE capable? Your phone should be EDGE class 10 or better. GPRS works with many different phones but is REALLY slow. EDGE is four or five times faster.

CDMA is the best system in Thailand, BUT, it will be discontinued within the next year in favor of 3G. CAT and Hutch share the CDMA system but this being Thailand, they can't get their shit together to work with each other. CAT has EVDO throughout Thailand and Hutch has it in Bangkok and Pattaya. Damn shame for sure.

Are you sure your phone is EDGE capable? Your phone should be EDGE class 10 or better. GPRS works with many different phones but is REALLY slow. EDGE is four or five times faster.

CDMA is the best system in Thailand, BUT, it will be discontinued within the next year in favor of 3G. CAT and Hutch share the CDMA system but this being Thailand, they can't get their shit together to work with each other. CAT has EVDO throughout Thailand and Hutch has it in Bangkok and Pattaya. Damn shame for sure.

Yes. pretty sure (Samsung SGH D900)..there is a small Icon showing 'E' when an Edge network is available...sometimes, in other locales, it switches to 'G' for GPRS available. Not sure wrt class. I used GPRS with my previous D500, and to be honest, I don't see an improvement. I put it down to the network being busy and getting full here, plus my cheap package having a low priority.

If 3G is on it's way perhaps I shouldn't pay a 1 year Hutch subscription...especially if coverage is limited. I will likely get a new phone in the not too distant future.

Edited by jacko

Your phone is fine. You wouldn't gain anything with a different phone. Some places in Jomtien, EDGE is pretty slow for me. I'd guess it depends on the traffic at whatever tower you happen to be using. Fortunately since EDGE is all I now have, the speed is surprisingly good. I'm out in the boonies and I doubt many of the locals have EDGE capable phones.

I was really looking forward to getting CDMA EVDO but just the modem costs 10,990 baht and the EVDO capable phone is 19,990. If they are going to discontinue the service, it's not worth buying either.

Your phone is fine. You wouldn't gain anything with a different phone. Some places in Jomtien, EDGE is pretty slow for me. I'd guess it depends on the traffic at whatever tower you happen to be using. Fortunately since EDGE is all I now have, the speed is surprisingly good. I'm out in the boonies and I doubt many of the locals have EDGE capable phones.

I was really looking forward to getting CDMA EVDO but just the modem costs 10,990 baht and the EVDO capable phone is 19,990. If they are going to discontinue the service, it's not worth buying either.

My idea of the new phone was for whenever (if ever) 3G internet connection becomes available. The Hutch modem comes free with a one year unlimited (download) subscription for 12500 baht. But I don't wish to shell out on something that might go away or I cannot get positive feedback on. Edited by jacko