Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Mobile Broadband?

Hello every one.

I've been reading this forum for the last week and it's really good.

I'm a newbie here but not to Patts.

I'm coming back again soon and I was wondering if mobile broadband is available in Patts/Thailand.

Suggestions on providers, prices, speed and hardware would be appreciated.

I use a Mac Book Pro running OS 10.5.6

Thank you for sharing.

C

Hello every one.

I've been reading this forum for the last week and it's really good.

I'm a newbie here but not to Patts.

I'm coming back again soon and I was wondering if mobile broadband is available in Patts/Thailand.

Suggestions on providers, prices, speed and hardware would be appreciated.

I use a Mac Book Pro running OS 10.5.6

Thank you for sharing.

C

There is no mobile broadband yet within Thailand although 3G is on trial in Chaing Mai Currently.

Best you will get is "Edge" which in Pattaya will be fine re the signal.

Figure 3-4 times speed of dial up but not guaranteed.

Use AIS or Dtac sim-both will do the job.

I use a E156 dongle modem which is fine and easy to configure.

I do recall when buying it that it was compatible with Macs but check first.

Edited by Chivas

I used to use Edge via AIS, as stated above, most definitely not broadband, and here in East Pattaya it would get really slow at peak times... bordering on useless. It was extremely convenient though as I could take it anywhere in the country with my laptop. Even used it on a blue bus! It was also extremely cheap, you could buy a fixed number of minutes pre-paying for the month. Excess usage was charged at 1b/min, cheaper than a Bangkok netcafe.

No dongle required, went through my Samsung mobile phone...connecting to that with a USB cable (or bluetooth).

Edited by jacko
I used to use Edge via AIS, as stated above, most definitely not broadband, and here in East Pattaya it would get really slow at peak times... bordering on useless. It was extremely convenient though as I could take it anywhere in the country with my laptop. Even used it on a blue bus! It was also extremely cheap, you could buy a fixed number of minutes pre-paying for the month. Excess usage was charged at 1b/min, cheaper than a Bangkok netcafe.

No dongle required, went through my Samsung mobile phone...connecting to that with a USB cable (or bluetooth).

As Jacko says packages are very cheap and I use a 50 hour AIS package for 200 baht plus vat total 214 Baht.

Just over 4 baht an hour-you can buy other packages with less or more hours.

Unlimited use for a month I think is 999 baht but check to be sure-similar prices via DTAC

TOT sent me their monthly news letter and they are running a trial just now where the whole of beach rd has a wifi signal. They ran it free for the last 2 months but now i think the commercial service will be up and running.

Its always an alternative to the slow EDGE system stated above.

As Jacko says packages are very cheap and I use a 50 hour AIS package for 200 baht plus vat total 214 Baht.

Just over 4 baht an hour-you can buy other packages with less or more hours.

Unlimited use for a month I think is 999 baht but check to be sure-similar prices via DTAC

Here's the link for the DTAC services http://vas.dtac.co.th/en/communication_p4.htm they seem on par with prices Chivas talked of for AIS.

• 3 weeks later...
There is no mobile broadband yet within Thailand although 3G is on trial in Chaing Mai Currently.

Best you will get is "Edge" which in Pattaya will be fine re the signal.

Figure 3-4 times speed of dial up but not guaranteed.

Use AIS or Dtac sim-both will do the job.

I use a E156 dongle modem which is fine and easy to configure.

I do recall when buying it that it was compatible with Macs but check first.

I have the edge modem that you plug into a USB port but I would like to use my cell phone instead taking the sim card out and puting in my phone. I have a problem as I have no idea what the number is to call and what my userid is. It was done for me by the guy I bought it from at Tucom. Could you tell me how to do it?

I have the edge modem that you plug into a USB port but I would like to use my cell phone instead taking the sim card out and puting in my phone. I have a problem as I have no idea what the number is to call and what my userid is. It was done for me by the guy I bought it from at Tucom. Could you tell me how to do it?

You've lost me slightly-explain what youre trying to do again ??

You've lost me slightly-explain what youre trying to do again ??
He has a 'dongle' with a SIM card in it, that plugs into his USB and gives him the Edge connection to the Network and Internet.

This dongle is a scam, as they make you buy it. I just used my mobile phone in LOS. In the UK they won't let it work this way.... only for Internet access on the mobile itself...which is useless.

Not sure about the particular SIM that is in the dongle gadget, whether it can be removed and put into the mobile phone..... try it. If it works for an SMS you can determine the number, I don't believe they are any different, just that the number is set to alow 'data'' already.

As to setting this up, I have a Samsung and it is part of the software that comes with it for the computer., 'PC Studio' and it wasn't too hard to set up through that.

He has a 'dongle' with a SIM card in it, that plugs into his USB and gives him the Edge connection to the Network and Internet.

This dongle is a scam, as they make you buy it. I just used my mobile phone in LOS. In the UK they won't let it work this way.... only for Internet access on the mobile itself...which is useless.

Not sure about the particular SIM that is in the dongle gadget, whether it can be removed and put into the mobile phone..... try it. If it works for an SMS you can determine the number, I don't believe they are any different, just that the number is set to alow 'data'' already.

As to setting this up, I have a Samsung and it is part of the software that comes with it for the computer., 'PC Studio' and it wasn't too hard to set up through that.

Ok still not exactly sure what you guys are referring too but amongst others I have a "Netsim" from AIS.

Netsim is actually printed on the Sim-however whilst I thought it was for data only its not and works in a mobile (thats capable of accessing the net) plus works in an unlocked dongle ,PLUS can be used as a voice sim.

Guess its a marketing ploy ??

Edited by Chivas

I can take the SIM card out of the edge device and put it in my phone. I do this when I want to add credits. When I use the USB device it acts like a modem and has a userid and a number that it calls. I just don't know what that ID is or what number it calls. I want to have the option of using my fancy Nokia phone instead of the stupid Edge device.

You don't need to know the user ID.

Set it to dial *99#

How do you know that?

Mine was *99***1#

How do you know that?

Mine was *99***1#

Jacko mine was *99# as well for any of 4 UK sim cards and dtac and ais.

On the original instructions was advised would need to contact individual companys for User ID etc but not correct-just works whatever.

Upscale Nokia phones come with a CD that installs a program called Nokia Suite on your computer. You can then use a data cable or Bluetooth to connect. It will work with Dtac or AIS with or without a package. I think it costs one baht per minute if you don't subscribe to a package so packages are MUCH cheaper to use. You subscribe to monthly packages with your phone, easy to do. Your phone must be EDGE capable to be usable. The regular GPRS is VERY slow.

Nokia Suite does everything for you so just follow the prompts.

Edited by Gary

Gary, you make it sound like Edge is obligatory, I don't think so. With my older mobile, I managed with GPRS, somewhat slower agreed. Also, as I roamed Thailand, I found Edge was not always available, but GPRS was present. My phone switched automatically. Otherwise all my experince matches yours, with a Samsung.

I just looked up the specs on my phone. Nokia 2630.

Connectivity: Bluetooth v2.0, USB, GPRS Class 10 (48 kbps), EDGE Class 6 (177.6 kbps)

I'm guessing this means I can use it to get a connection without needing a dongle.

Is that correct?

What about the speed? Will the mobile give enough to get the maximum from the ISP?

It will take me a bit of tinkering to figure out how but I usually find my way.

C.

I just looked up the specs on my phone. Nokia 2630.

Connectivity: Bluetooth v2.0, USB, GPRS Class 10 (48 kbps), EDGE Class 6 (177.6 kbps)

I'm guessing this means I can use it to get a connection without needing a dongle.

Is that correct?

What about the speed? Will the mobile give enough to get the maximum from the ISP?

It will take me a bit of tinkering to figure out how but I usually find my way.

C.

Sounds good, if you have this Nokia Suite on the PC/Laptop.

The speed limiter will not be the mobile/phone, more the ISP/network. I am guessing the 'bandwidth' allocated to support internet use, would be sacrificed to more lucrative uses, like phone calls during busy times. I found my location affected the speed, it worked quite well in some areas, but where I lived, East Pattaya, it really got bogged down, being useless in the evenings, and only good very early in the day..

In the end I put ADSL in the house.

Sounds good, if you have this Nokia Suite on the PC/Laptop.

The speed limiter will not be the mobile/phone, more the ISP/network. I am guessing the 'bandwidth' allocated to support internet use, would be sacrificed to more lucrative uses, like phone calls during busy times. I found my location affected the speed, it worked quite well in some areas, but where I lived, East Pattaya, it really got bogged down, being useless in the evenings, and only good very early in the day..

In the end I put ADSL in the house.

Well jacko, I think I gave him some bad information. I read his post again and he is using an Apple. An Apple computer is a different animal. :D

EDGE in Thailand uses a class 10 for the best performance. Class 6 will be a little slower and GPRS slower yet. If EDGE coverage is not available, the phone will revert automatically to GPRS.

*99***1# is the old connection number used by both AIS and Detac and was replaced with

*99# at least 12 months ago.

As well as using TT&T Max-net broadband from the comfort of my home I also have a SOLOMON - SEGM-520 EDGE modem which is plugged into a USB port which I use when ‘on the road’ and “up country”

The modem is no great shakes on speed but it gets me by when nothing else is available.

I once sat in a rice field in Isarn whilst the misses was helping papa and got a connection.

This is the top up procedure.

To top up AIS Sim-card:

Dial *138 (star 138)

Press 1 for English

Press 2 for Mobile net

Press 1 for monthly package

Press 1 for new package

Press 4 for 50 hrs package

Press 1 to accept/confirm and activate.

Packages available

3 hr – press 1

6 hr – press 2

20 hr – press 3

50 hr – press 4 (Cost 200 baht +VAT)

250 hr – press 5

250 hr – press 6

Unlimited – press 7

Press 1 to confirm package requested

Using the AIS mobile-life monthly package you will start getting messages from AIS a few days before the month ends.

It will read something like this: Your mobile-net 100Hr 350b expires on 2008-11-02 and will automatically be refilled.

If you are getting this type message and want to keep the number of hours mentioned (50hrs package) all you need do is make sure the Sim-card is topped up with that amount plus 7 percent extra to cover taxes.

You do not need to call *138 and go through the top-up procedure above.

If you wish to change the number of hours per month use *138 to cancel your current package then select a new package.

Is that the best speed available?

Are there any other providers that are faster?

C.

Well not using the Mobile Edge/GPRS in the Pattaya area. As I mentioned I found it better in Chiangmai and the North. My friends TGF seemed to think it was adequate on Pratumnak Hill. I found it to be an exercise in frustration just over Sukhumvit.

Other than that I can only suggest you get up early........

Third Generation (CDMA?) is suppusoed to be available in a couple of places, I think it is Hutch......

As mentioned, I got ADSL and put a router put in the house!