Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

630 Yard Par 3.... And The Tee Requires A Helicopter Ride

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/devil_ba...urn=golf,152314

I found that quite interesting.... And very cheap, considering!

Frosty

It looks like good fun and I'd probably play it if I got in the neighbourhood. But I'm not much for trick holes, and the idea that a really big miniature-golf trick hole would be used in a tournament playoff makes me shudder.

I hate that hole, I think it's the 15th at Valderama, where if you don't hit the green exactly right, the ball comes back off the green again - exactly like miniature golf. I don't think it's a legitimate hole for real golf, sorry. Several Thai courses have a hole like that, greens sloped so that you can get close to the hole but your ball still rolls 20 yards off the green anyhow. Sorry, that's not real golf.

I don't put down miniature golf but there's more luck than skill involved at these places, or at least more luck that true golf skill. You can't practice for this South African hole, you just hit some balls and hope.

Who said anything about miniature golf?

That course is a world class course... all 18 holes of it.

The 19th "trick" hole as you call it is NOT part of the tournament round, but an extra "just for fun" hole that you can play (optional) at no additional cost (including the helicopter ride) when your done with the 18.

I think its brilliant - something different and fun.

Frosty

According to the story you got me to click on, it IS part of the tournament round, to be used as the first extra holes in case of a tie, as I then repeated in my first post.

I think it is brilliant, different and fun. I just commented I don't think it belongs in a golf tournament because it is a trick hole like a miniature golf hole.

Do you think it is good golf to throw in this hole to break a tie in an otherwise ordinary tourney at an excellent course?

Spectacular hole, but I doubt the average amateur can even reach the green. It looked like the Paddie & the other guy, both touring pros, were using fairway metals. I'm pretty sure they hit their 3 woods or even 5 woods further than the average joe hits his best #1.