Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 98 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Work and live in PAttaya

I have been to Pattaya a couple of times now and I am interested in moving there, but I was wondering if it is hard to find a job.

Can anybody help me with finding employment in Pattaya?

In Australia I am a qualified Barber and I also driven Trucks, Bobcats and Excavators so if anybody can help I would appreciate it..

Thank You

Scott :beer

If a thai can do the work,generaly you cannot have that type of job.There is a web site that tells you what jobs can only be done by Thai national.

good luck and you will need it.

Sorry I dont meen to offend but I am more looking for possitive info on my questions :beer

I know it will be hard but I am looking for direction...

There is no positive info. Thats what the guy said. Dont blame him. If you have a degree, you could do a TEFL course and teach english, but its poorly paid.

Why do you think so many people buy bars? Its one of the few ways to try to live here.

Sorry Scotty but what the Bratman said is right.

Unlike Australia, the Thais do not let anyone do a job that can be done by a Thai. That means any sort of labouring or blue-collar jobs. If you can find a Thai company that will sponsor you, then you may have a chance but odds are any job will be given to unskilled cousin Somsak from Korat ahead of you.

You could always form a Thai/Aussie company but you can never own more than 49% and need to have Thai partner you can trust. Good luck with that one too.

Marry a rich Thai girl and get her pregnant?

Win the lottery?

Check out Thaivisa, there is more info on there.

I have been to Pattaya a couple of times now and I am interested in moving there, but I was wondering if it is hard to find a job.

General answer, yes, definitely hard. But hundreds have done it, and over the past 50 years thousands have done it. I don't mean to be mean, but I doubt if even one of them actually started his job search on a mongers' forum.

Can anybody help me with finding employment in Pattaya?

Literally? Of course. In this forum? Odds are something like a million to one against it. Anyone looking for a job isn't going to help you, is he? Anyone offering a job isn't going to come to this forum to offer it - this is a forum for mongers, not exactly a source of dedicated and qualified employees.

In Australia I am a qualified Barber and I also driven Trucks, Bobcats and Excavators so if anybody can help I would appreciate it..

You CANNOT work as a barber in Thailand. It is one of the officially restricted occupations the guys were referring to above. Forget it. You won't be a driver, there are tens of thousands of Thais, no shortage, who can drive all kinds of equipment, ALL kinds from tricycles to airplanes, and you won't take one of their jobs.... well, if you work really, really cheap you might get a job driving airplanes, that's about it.

Good luck with your quest, but you really are in the wrong place in this forum. Try Australian companies that do business in Thailand. Try Thai companies with foreign employees. Try forums like Thaivisa.com that do more than guide people to excellent puxxy bars. Your post above has *no* useful job qualifications for Thailand, so try to do a better resume, that's my advice.

Lets say that you find a job and you are able to scrape by. All it would take is one major health problem to be in trouble, that's assuming you live through it because you likely won't be able to afford to pay for decent care.

So the years pass by and you have had no major health problems. You now are not able to find decent work because you are too old. You have used up your most productive earning years working for peanuts. Now you have no savings to speak of and no pension. Now What?

Lets say that you find a job and you are able to scrape by. All it would take is one major health problem to be in trouble, that's assuming you live through it because you likely won't be able to afford to pay for decent care.

Whoa! Health care is COMMON in the Thai workplace. By all means, it's something to consider when taking a job. Look into it and choose carefully. It's certainly possible to work in Thailand and have no health care.

But your blanket statement is way, way out of line and simply not within reality. I want to stay anonymous here, but let's just say I am intimately familiar with this subject.

So the years pass by and you have had no major health problems. You now are not able to find decent work because you are too old. You have used up your most productive earning years working for peanuts. Now you have no savings to speak of and no pension. Now What?

This is one possibility. Another possibility is you have full, total complete health care for 10 years after you retire and then for the rest of your life a gold 30-baht health card at the hospital of your choice including being referred for quintuple heart-bypass surgery at the top hospital by the doctors who attend the King. For nothing. Well, okay, 80 cents US if you have to have the operation.

This is not theory.

Edited by joekicker
Whoa! Health care is COMMON in the Thai workplace. By all means, it's something to consider when taking a job. Look into it and choose carefully. It's certainly possible to work in Thailand and have no health care.

But your blanket statement is way, way out of line and simply not within reality. I want to stay anonymous here, but let's just say I am intimately familiar with this subject.

This is one possibility. Another possibility is you have full, total complete health care for 10 years after you retire and then for the rest of your life a gold 30-baht health card at the hospital of your choice including being referred for quintuple heart-bypass surgery at the top hospital by the doctors who attend the King. For nothing. Well, okay, 80 cents US if you have to have the operation.

This is not theory.

Joe, normally you have your shit together, BUT, I know quite a few farangs eking out a living in Thailand. I don't know any of them who have employer furnished insurance unless they work for a foreign employer. I did have health insurance from a Thai company but it was a BIG Thai company.

What you are describing is very common in Asia with ESL teachers.I have seen many basically trapped in the country due to such a low wage and high living cost.They can't afford the plane ticket home.So a savings is definately a necessity.The health care anywhere in SEA is always head and shoulders above the US.So I cannot imagine going bankrupt as the result of an illness. Which is the norm in the USA. Those who survive and thrive anywhere outside of thier home country usually work it like this.A multi-stream income system.One legit job, say teaching or tech type gig. Enough work hours to keep a valid visa intact.And a modest steady income. The side money from second and third streams is what makes the overseas work profitable.I always sold textbooks and did private lessons when I was doing the expat thing.A good supplement to a teachers wages.I have met expats who cook and do cooking classes on the side.Some have wrote books or articles for tour and travel

magazines.If you can learn the local language, being a tour guide is great money.Even odd ventures come up. I speak spanish well, and I mentioned that casually to a parent of one of my students in Taiwan.I ended up doing spanish classes for some co-workers being transferred to Mexico City. Be creative and you can do well in SEA, Thailand included. But if you think you will work one job and be financially successful, imo, not possible.

I'm curious why Scotty has now deleted his original post!

Back to the subject though, I like to have breakfast at the Sportsman (or is it the Sportsbar?) in Soi 13 when I'm in Patts. There are often Brits in there who, from their conversations, are operating as self employed tradesmen to local expats. Perhaps it is not entirely legal, but it is certainly going on.

We've been getting some really thin-skinned posters here lately?

Are we really so mean to people? I'm sorry, but I just don't see it that way.

Seems like some people only want to hear what they want to hear, and a comment that isn't exclaiming praise and attaboy is considered a flame or being unhelpful.

Joe, normally you have your shit together, BUT, I know quite a few farangs eking out a living in Thailand. I don't know any of them who have employer furnished insurance unless they work for a foreign employer. I did have health insurance from a Thai company but it was a BIG Thai company.

Yes, of course there are quite a few farang ekeing out a living. Who would deny such a thing? I know quite a few of them who not only eke out of a living but are worse off than that. But that's not what you said up ^^^^ there, where you very strongly said that a person who found a job in Thailand would not have health insurance, and wouldn't have it after he retired.

That is possible. It is also quite possible a person taking a job in Thailand, foreign company or Thai company, WOULD have such things.

If a person gets a job in Thailand, with foreign or Thai company, it is quite possible he will have health insurance, including after he retires - ESPECIALLY now with the 30-baht medical plan and social security.

It is ALSO possible you won't have these. My advice after your post was to consider all of this when you take a job, because there are LOTS of jobs with good medical insurance included -- and I know that as a fact, if you catch my drift. And there are lots of jobs without it.

What you are describing is very common in Asia with ESL teachers.

Please. ESL teaching is the very bottom rung and 95 per cent of the time is not a real job. It's a way for many to get by while they have fun, or while they try to get a real job. There are a very few "real" ESL jobs, but in general it's the equivalent of working at McDonald's -- a survival thing, not in any manner a career or a stepping stone to a career. I'm sure the OP and this thread didn't mean to get into "how to survive in Thailand". The sensitive OP was about getting an actual job before he broke into tears and got depressed.

No offence to the few ESL experts in real and important teaching positions, you very few people -- who undoubtedly have a very different job title than "ESL teacher" anyhow.

• 2 weeks later...
Please. ESL teaching is the very bottom rung and 95 per cent of the time is not a real job. It's a way for many to get by while they have fun, or while they try to get a real job. There are a very few "real" ESL jobs, but in general it's the equivalent of working at McDonald's -- a survival thing, not in any manner a career or a stepping stone to a career. I'm sure the OP and this thread didn't mean to get into "how to survive in Thailand". The sensitive OP was about getting an actual job before he broke into tears and got depressed.

No offence to the few ESL experts in real and important teaching positions, you very few people -- who undoubtedly have a very different job title than "ESL teacher" anyhow.

joe makes a good point but for the guy looking to work in Thailand check out www.ajarn.com for ESL tips and possible jobs.

My Thai employer provides health care/insurance via Bupa.

• 1 month later...
Sorry Scotty but what the Bratman said is right.

Unlike Australia, the Thais do not let anyone do a job that can be done by a Thai. That means any sort of labouring or blue-collar jobs. If you can find a Thai company that will sponsor you, then you may have a chance but odds are any job will be given to unskilled cousin Somsak from Korat ahead of you.

You could always form a Thai/Aussie company but you can never own more than 49% and need to have Thai partner you can trust. Good luck with that one too.

Marry a rich Thai girl and get her pregnant?

Win the lottery?

Check out Thaivisa, there is more info on there.

False information. If you are located inside a Zone 3 BOI Industrial Estate, or an industrial estate within Rayong province, you can own 100% of our own business. If you want proof, go to the BOI office in Bangkok and ask. I just met with them last week, and was told this was the rule.

If you are supplied a work permit to legally work for a company in Thailand, they are mandated by law to provide you with health care. I know, I have worked for a few in Thailand.

Edited by Stinky
False information. If you are located inside a Zone 3 BOI Industrial Estate, or an industrial estate within Rayong province, you can own 100% of our own business. If you want proof, go to the BOI office in Bangkok and ask. I just met with them last week, and was told this was the rule.

So I can set up such a company and own 100% and that company owns land and property all over Thailand ?

De facto, I own the land and property 100% ?

Can't see that.

So I can set up such a company and own 100% and that company owns land and property all over Thailand ?

De facto, I own the land and property 100% ?

Can't see that.

If located inside a BOI Zone 3 Industrial Estate, yes the company can own the land. The company can even own a house and the land it is sitting on. Go make an appointment with BOI and get the info like I did. Prove me wrong if you think I am not posting exactly what was told to me a couple weeks ago by the BOI officials themselves.

I dont doubt you at all Stinky but having your Thai land ownership options limited to an estate is not exactly like being able to have a view over Kata Beach in Phuket or something is it?

You seem to be limited to what the Thais have decided you can have. Far from ideal.

I dont doubt you at all Stinky but having your Thai land ownership options limited to an estate is not exactly like being able to have a view over Kata Beach in Phuket or something is it?

You seem to be limited to what the Thais have decided you can have. Far from ideal.

Your company can own land with a house on it any where in Thailand.

BOI land is available to falang.

Just pony up 40 million baht. Yes, you read correctly, 40 mil.

Let's not make it look so badly. Your company needs a registered operating capital of 40 million baht to be able to own land. You do not have to pay 40 million baht for the land. The money is still the companies, and is not frozen or taken.

Work and live in Pattaya, Is it hard

Hell yeah its hard, I work a 52.5hr week over 5 days (add an extra 10hrs for travel time), the temptation to knock off in the evenings and go out drinking/fornicating is damn near unbearable, at times i dont know how i manage to resist.