Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Htc Desire/hd2 Or I-phone 4/3gs ?

which one ?  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

iphone_4g_concept_32gb.jpgHTC-Desire-540x446.jpg

the pix are of a i-Phone 4 & a Desire from HTC

specs for i-Phone 4

http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_4-3275.php

specs for HTC Desire

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_desire-3077.php

here's a comparison of the points that don't match :

Edited by LocalYokul
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Windows Mobile is awful. Nobody should choose that.

I like and use both Android and iOS. Android is much better for me for work due to its tight integration with Gmail and Google Voice. It's a fantastic OS, but requires some tweaking to get the most out of it. iOS is a better choice for people that aren't tech savy. It's also better for entertainment thanks to iTunes and the App Store.

It really depends on what you need.

A couple of points, if you don't mind.

There is no Apple Iphone 4G, it's the Iphone4 but it does not offer 4g reception. The HTC offers "4G" but good luck getting a 4G signal in the near future, unless you are lucky enough to live in one of the few major cities that offers 4G.

I own an Iphone, in fact I've owned all three versions of the Iphone and I love it. It's the easiest phone to master and if you are an Ipod fan then I would say the Iphone is the one to buy.

I know enough about digital cameras to know that megapixels are not the only important thing in a camera or the resulting photo. Adding an MP or two is done to raise the price and make buyers think they are getting a superior camera than last weeks model. This is not always the truth.

I just spent some time with the HTC and I loved it, it's also slightly larger than the Iphone and I found that to be nice. However it lacked apple's natural feel in it's user interface. Couple that with the fact that if I switched to the HTC I would have to worry about going back to my Ipod and the Iphone is the clear winner.

From what I have read there are some issues with Windows 7 64 bit and the new version of iTunes.

Apple really wants to draw you into the Apple enclave from Windows. But, the new iphone 4 is remarkable. :rolleyes:

Edited by too_mutt
The HTC offers "4G" but good luck getting a 4G signal in the near future, unless you are lucky enough to live in one of the few major cities that offers 4G.

Sprint's road map for 2010 is pretty aggressive. It will have WiMax in most major American cities by the end of the year. So I'm not sure what you mean by "near future".

I just spent some time with the HTC and I loved it, it's also slightly larger than the Iphone and I found that to be nice. However it lacked apple's natural feel in it's user interface. Couple that with the fact that if I switched to the HTC I would have to worry about going back to my Ipod and the Iphone is the clear winner.

Clear winner? Not at all. It depends what you need. If you want to mimick iPod/iTunes on Android then you can use Double Twist for your phone and desktop. Android also has several advantages, especially when it comes to Google integration. That said, iOS has several advantages too. It just depends on what you're looking for.

You have asked a good question LocalYokul. I'm considering them both also. Have you found the price plus shipping to Thailand? Or a local dealer that has good prices? Cost would be a consideration as well as apps. I wouldn't use most of what the phone could do anyway. I know people with both phones, all are happy with what they have. As usual, everyone recommends what they purchased. Personally, since either one can do more than I need or would know how to use, for now at least. Cost would be a big factor. What have you found on prices? Have you looked?

I don't buy phones outside of LOS anymore for a couple of reasons, warrantee & the Thai keypad

last time I bought a phone out of country was in Singapore & I regretted it later when I traded up for what I have now.

HTC Desire is around 22k

http://www.siamphone.com/catalog/htc/desire.htm

In Rayong there's a couple dealers in Laam Tong & only one in Star Plaza

I'd buy in Star Plaza cause I know the guy who owns the shop, been doing business with him for over a decade

Back in April I bought an HTC Nexus One (from Google). Last week, I dropped the phone for the first time, and the screen cracked. Having dropped a few phones over the years, I was surprised to not get at least one "free" drop without damage.

I then did a google search on "Nexus One screen cracked" and found pages of hits. There's even a youtube video showing just how delicate the screen is.

The HTC Desire has the same screen. You might want to read this set of posts before you make your decision.

Now, all the Iphone users I know tell me they have dropped their Iphones lots of times, and not one has had a screen crack.

I've ordered a screen replacement kit (2400baht) and will be trying that shortly. I also bought a jelly plastic protective wrap for the phone, so maybe next time I drop it, it will survive.

this is exactly the sort of info I was looking for when I opened this poll, thanks !

Edited by LocalYokul
There is no Apple Iphone 4G, it's the Iphone4 but it does not offer 4g reception.

apparently in the rest of the World outside North America it is 4G, but AT&T don't want to be pressured into developing a 4G network so it's called i-Phone 4 in North America where AT&T wants to keep it's 4G capability quiet

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-NEW-iPhone-4G-Coming-2010

meanwhile HTC's EVO is offering 4G on Sprint & Sprint is already developing a 4G network

so basically, it sucks to be you if you're paying for a 4G phone in North America & can't use the capability because of AT&T

Sprint's road map for 2010 is pretty aggressive. It will have WiMax in most major American cities by the end of the year. So I'm not sure what you mean by "near future".

Clear winner? Not at all. It depends what you need. If you want to mimick iPod/iTunes on Android then you can use Double Twist for your phone and desktop. Android also has several advantages, especially when it comes to Google integration. That said, iOS has several advantages too. It just depends on what you're looking for.

Near future? Next 4 - 6 months? There is very little Sprint 4G coverage in the US. Fact is, there are only 13 states, 1-2 cities per state with about 50% coverage in those CITIES. Talk to me when 4G is in every major city in every state. That is going to take some time, I'm not slamming Sprint, it's just the way it is. For the time being Sprint is selling you on a service that you probably won't be able to get for several months.

I have a better idea, why don't you tell me when 65% of the US population will have 4G coverage from Sprint.

The "Clear winner" was, IMHO, and as an Ipod lover... as in, I don't have to carry two things, I can carry one. Anyway, it was my opinion and I'm entitled to it. :rolleyes:

I have both an iPhone 3GS and an HTC HD2. Both have their good points but I find that I wind up using the 3GS most of the time because of all of the great applications that you can't get for the HD2 and the keyboard.touchscreen. I like the HD2's screen resolution and overall look much better than the plain vanilla 3GS and the processor speed and screen resolution of the HD2 are hard to beat. On the other hand, the touchscreen and keyboard on the 3GS are the best on any phone IMO. You can play music, videos, etc. on both equally as well and if anything the HTC HD2 is the winner because you don't have to convert your music with iTunes before you copy it to your phone. Still the iPhone gets my vote and I can't wait to get my hands on the new one coming out the last of this month.

This is not a dig at fancy phone users. This is a serious question. What functions do you actually use and find useful? I'm not talking about games and such. I used a Nokia 5800 for the GPS and decided that it sucks. the high speed 3G and 4G systems are virtually non existent in Thailand. What if they did work here? Can you actually surf the Internet using the tiny screen? My smart phone can use WiFi and is 3G capable. Other than reading emails, when I have my reading glasses with me, the GPRS EDGE works fine and I have no genuine need for 3G or even WiFi.

My smart phone is in a drawer and I use a cheap Philips Xenium X500 that I only have to charge about once every three weeks. It also has a firewall that can block nuisance SMS messages and unwanted calls. It works great. My smart phone can't do that. It can check my email and it also has push mail. Push mail uses GPRS time every time it automatically checks as well as running down the battery. As it is, 300 baht per month is the most I spend.

ADDED - The cheap Philips has a good music player and will play books or music for 40 hours. It has a converter, calculator, calendar, stop watch and some other junk that is rarely used.

Edited by Gary

I need Windows Mobile for my trading programs otherwise I wouldn't go near it.

I have the Samsung omnia and if it had a decent OS it would be about the best phone there is out there.

Can't be doing with iPhone all my mates have them in the UK and Saturday nights revolve around them comparing Apps.... Maybe I

've just been spoilt with Saturday nights in Thailand.

well, I don't like the idea of jailbreaking

with an HTC it would be unlocked & ready for use with any provider

at least in LOS it would

the i-Phone is locked to True if you buy the legit one that's not jailbroken

I don't fancy paying over 20k for something if it's jailbroken with no warranty & I also don't want to switch to True

look closer, if you zoom on the photo is says i-Phone 4G concept right on the back of it

well here's the one from the Apple site which is being called i-Phone 4

gallery01-20100607.jpg

everywhere else is the World is calling it i-Phone 4G

I think the first photo just has some rubber cover on it or something

Edited by LocalYokul

I have a 3gs love it. I keep realizing just how dam powerful it is. I had a 2g a 3g and of course I will end up getting a 4. The overall ease of use, and the boatload of apps really does it for me. Not to say that google et al aren't coming up with some great stuff. Just the overall package that apple offers seems to always hit that sweet spot for the majority of consumers. Cant wait for ios4 seems to address many issues. Would love to see them open the phone up to anyone but ATT though they really suck.

well, I don't like the idea of jailbreaking

with an HTC it would be unlocked & ready for use with any provider

at least in LOS it would

the i-Phone is locked to True if you buy the legit one that's not jailbroken

I don't fancy paying over 20k for something if it's jailbroken with no warranty & I also don't want to switch to True

I wouldn't like the idea of paying for an iPhone that wasn't jailbroke and unlocked, that's the first thing that I did with mine :D . With my HD2 I also have a custom ROM on it (Energy if anyone is interested) so I guess that it would be the same difference. There are pluses and minuses on both sides and both are great phones so it really just comes down to personal preferences, I think that you would be happy with either one.

why would you want or need a custom ROM if your phone is already unlocked ?

Edited by LocalYokul
why would you want or need a custom ROM if your phone is already unlocked ?

There are many reasons but I would say that a couple of reasons are to make the phone operate faster and to make it more customizable. Also many of the guys who cook up the custom ROMs usually put many of the popular programs such as the Swype keyboard on the ROM which is a huge improvement on the HTC. Like I said, IMO there are many reasons, like jailbreaking an iPhone it just adds many more ways to customize and use your phone. Most all of the manufacturers put a lot of bloated programs that people never use and just clog things up, the guys who cook up the custom ROMs take those out.

look closer, if you zoom on the photo is says i-Phone 4G concept right on the back of it

I know its a concept, why would you post a concept phone and call it iPhone 4?