Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Next time you are out and about on the street or in a gogo, look at Thai girls legs and knees. The scars on their legs is widespread, most of these have been caused on motocy.

Yes, but a lot of that happened on dirt/gravel roads upcountry or when they were 9 years old trying to control a motosai.

I used them from the first time I was visiting Thailand but mainly because Patong in Phuket does not have any cheap alternatives, their 'tuk tuk mafia' will charge you as much as they can and there was no 'baht bus' equivalent travelling on a set route for a cheap fare.

Even if it is risky, I soon learned to relax and not sweat about it. Someone else in this thread mentions holding on tight and if you had asked me prior to my first visit if I would get on motorbike taxis without holding on, I'd have said no way, but I soon felt there was no need and you seem to develop a sense of balance only need to hold on if the breaking is really heavy.

I liked the fact that most bike taxi drivers were happy with 20 baht per person for short journeys, both in Phuket and Pattaya, so this suited me as bike's ability to nip about the streets is convenient. We could probably debate young vs old drivers, maybe the older ones are more experienced? Maybe the younger ones have better reactions and eyesight? but you can never tell for sure that this one that one is drunk and erratic.

Life is a risk though, hiring and riding bikes in Phuket as well as riding bike taxis makes me feel free so I enjoy it, just the same as I now do a lot of mountain biking, including some more hardcore XC and downhill stuff which can result in nasty accidents due to the technical riding, big jumps and drop offs. I'm into a few other risky pursuits too and most people doing these things have to risk assess themselves and weight up the pro's and con's as to whether the risk is justified.

I think sometimes you have to risk death to really know you're alive. :thumbup

Life is a risk though, hiring and riding bikes in Phuket as well as riding bike taxis makes me feel free so I enjoy it, just the same as I now do a lot of mountain biking, including some more hardcore XC and downhill stuff which can result in nasty accidents due to the technical riding, big jumps and drop offs. I'm into a few other risky pursuits too and most people doing these things have to risk assess themselves and weight up the pro's and con's as to whether the risk is justified.

I think sometimes you have to risk death to really know you're alive. :chogdee

My first thought on reading this response is why would he risk all his hard core sporting activities to save a minute or two by riding pillion in a place that is a well known death trap. This is an avoidable risk and has no personal satisfaction such as those that you get from xtreme sports.

My first thought on reading this response is why would he risk all his hard core sporting activities to save a minute or two by riding pillion in a place that is a well known death trap. This is an avoidable risk and has no personal satisfaction such as those that you get from xtreme sports.

I think his point is that it is his personal decision, based on his own tolerance for risk....not yours or anyone else's.

There are way too many people in life that make other people's business their own...it's what has messed up the "nanny states" for most of us (with a unintentional bow to Bush Pig there for using his phrase myself).

I think his point is that it is his personal decision, based on his own tolerance for risk....not yours or anyone else's.

There are way too many people in life that make other people's business their own...it's what has messed up the "nanny states" for most of us (with a unintentional bow to Bush Pig there for using his phrase myself).

Yes, well...I guess that if you respond to everyone who has an opinion on this board and tell them that they are wrong for having that opinion then your going to become a very busy person. The whole spirit of this board is one of people making their own personal stand and getting response from other members on that stand. This is nothing to do with the nanny state because all I bcan do is to comment and suggest whereas the nanny state legislates people rights away. We are all free to accept or reject any comments made here.

I think that the following from Wikipaedia put it into context" The italics are mine.

Nanny state is a pejorative used to reference a state of protectionism, economic interventionism, or regulatory policies (of economic, social or other nature), and the perception that these policies are becoming institutionalized as common practice. Opponents of such policies use the term in their advocacy against what they consider as uninvited and damaging state intervention.

I only ride the motorbike taxi when there are no other options. I have arthritis in my hip and I can't walk very far. So if I'm off the main roads, I will take one. In 10 years of visiting los, I have never had an accident, but I will admit to closing my eyes a few times.

A small copyright donation will suffice

• 4 months later...

I have used them and probably will continue to do so now and again but I am not a fan of them. They take too many chances for my likings also I have seen them around soi Bukaow sitting drinking together. I remember also reading on this board ? one time about the yabba useage of some!

Anyway I ride a scooter on holiday in Pattaya and would never ride it with so much as a whiff of alcohol so I don't really appreciate getting on behind someone who has maybe had some.