Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

canadian travellers cheques exchange?

If someone has experience with exchange of canadian travellers cheques to thai bath please let me know.

I wonder if  exchange rate is same as for cash?

Are they widely accepted?

Thanks in advance,

great

Great

You might check further into it.  Two of my buddies are Canadian and they always bring US Dollars or Travelers Checks.  I do not know the economics of it, but they say it is much easier to change them into Thai Baht than CDs.  

Always double check. But as long as you are on the beaten track you shouldn't have a problem with Can$ TCs.

Hardly a third world country. Bit of a waste having to change currencies Can$ - US$TCs -Thai baht . Any unused US$TCs would then have to be converted back to Can$.

I'd keep the Can$, just change what you need before going off to an obscure island.

If it will show up on all of the main banks foreign exchange sites, like the one I posted the link to, you can be assured of no problem.

I know of at least one story where the presenter of Can$ TCs was accidentally given the rate for US$ in Thailand.

If this happens, please give it back. It's possible that it would be docked out of their wages or worse.

Here's some advice from a Canadian.  Don't change your money to U.S$ first.  That's just a waste as you pay for exchange twice.  Unless you are getting T/C's free and they are easily acquired don't waste the time.  Just bring some cash and you'll have no problem changing it and use your card in an ATM machine.  Canadian banks won't charge you a fee for using the ATM and they will give you the best exchange rate and there are lots of ATM's in Pattaya.  Have fun.

• 1 month later...

Spend the little bit extra and get AMERICAN EXPRESS

travellers cheques denominated in US dollars. Youll sleep easier.

Yes I know Canada is not a third world country but most people outside of North America even know Canada has its own money :-)

Are you employed by American Express?  Only they would benefit from your advice.  Most smart business people in South Florida are familiar with the Canadian dollar because it supports a significant part of their economy.  So is every money exchange kiosk I've ever visited in Pattaya because the Canadian exchange rate to Baht is in the top half dozen currencies they list.

My advice remains.  If a Canadian wants to waste money, change it first to U.S.$ and then to Baht and pay two commissions.  Better to carry a modest amount of Canadian cash and get baht from an ATM machine.  There are lots of them and the bank will give you the best exchange rate when you see it on your account back home.

In answer to the guy who started the thread, I would suggest your best bet is to obtain America Express travellers cheques in Canadian Dollars.

Any other type of T/C and you could have problems.

Just get any brand large international Travelers Checks that you want. Be it Amex, Chase, Thomas Cook, etc., they will take them all.  Also the way the US ollar is doing now you maybe are better off with checks in Canadian Dollars.

My advice as a Canadian is don't bother with TC's at all - if you have any leftover CDN currency you can change it easily at the moneychangers, and  just use your debit card at the ATM's for the rest of  the time. It's worked fine for me for my first two visits, and you get a better rate than you would with TC's , too.

"My advice as a Canadian is don't bother with TC's at all - if you have any leftover CDN currency you can change it easily at the moneychangers, and  just use your debit card at the ATM's for the rest of  the time. It's worked fine for me for my first two visits, and you get a better rate than you would with TC's , too."

If only use your ATM card to get funds that is great unless you have a problem with the card or a network problem. Then you could find yourself in Pattaya with no funds. Always have at least two different sources of funds for your trip. Nothing is worst than not having access to funding.

First to Valentino....lighten up....geez.

As for Jimmac...picture this

You have your wallet stolen. So now your atm card and cash are gone...the bank is so sorry theyll get you a new card  in 10 days.

Even in the days of atm cards, you still need travellers cheques for an emergency.

Although all currency places in pattaya may accept all those various checks , when you need to get those checks replaced . American express is absolutely golden about replacing lost cheques....Ive never had a problem getting cheques replaced through them.

Whether you buy Canadian $ cheques or US $ cheques get the amex cheques.  

Both Thai Military Bank and Thai Farmers Bank will cash Amex cheques fee-free. I just checked this on their site.

Also I found out that if you lose your passport and credit cards along with your cheques...that amex will actually help replace them...and you dont even need to be a cardholder just purchasing the cheques is enough.

Just get any brand large international Travelers Checks that you want. Be it Amex, Chase, Thomas Cook, etc., they will take them all.  Also the way the US ollar is doing now you maybe are better off with checks in Canadian Dollars.

I will repeat what I said earlier, only get American Express cheques. Any others and you may have trouble cashing in LOS.

I have to agree with Woody.  I have had Thomas Cook and also Citibank travelers checks and while I have always found a way to cash them, at times it was a hassle.  American Express is the brand I now use 100% of the time.  I feel safer than just carrying an ATM card or two since if they are stolen or eaten by a machine I am in trouble as far as getting the cash that I need.  With the TCs never a problem.