Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Retirement Visa from USA.... need input from those who have them.

I just arrived in Thailand today on a tourist visa. I applied for tourist visa in May by U.S. mail and received after 2 weeks in June from the Thai consulate in Los Angeles. My online application was very different than yours as I think the different consulates do use different application forms and do not all require the same information. But I do believe the fee is standardized at $40 for a single entry tourist visa. Since your application states $35 I wonder if the application form is out of date, or maybe they will require $40 but are just too lazy to update their application form. All in all it was pretty painless getting the tourist visa although the Thai consulate in Los Angeles did not require any financial ability evidence.

Best of luck in your endeavors!

Edited by LasRobos
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Reggie, I was able to live in Pattaya comfortably on 100,000 baht a month without having to watch my spending. That is less than it cost me to live in the US, and I sure don't enjoy my life as much.

I'll agree that it over simplifies, but that it's also very doable if you have either 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank, or a letter from the embassy. Though not possible if someone were to show up just be

I wouldn't waste time with a 60 day visa. You have to have a type O visa before you can apply for a retirement visa. You can apply for that in the US, or wait and do it in Thailand. As Jacko said,

Posted Images

I didn't really notice that the fee was $35 because I was going by the separate "Visa Application Procedure" that I had downloaded from the RTC-Portland website that sets the fee @ $40. I don't know what the difference is other than as you said, the form may be outdated. Thanks for the insight.

CB

Thanks for all the info m_holmes and Severn. I think I have a pretty good handle on how to do all of this now and will get started very soon. See you all in LOS!

CB

I wouldn't waste time with a 60 day visa. You have to have a type O visa before you can apply for a retirement visa. You can apply for that in the US, or wait and do it in Thailand. As Jacko said, it's a one day process, and you get your stamped passport the next day. When you fly into BKK stop by the American embassy and tell them that you you need an income verification letter for a retirement visa. The cost is $50 It's better to do it when you arrive, or you will have to take a trip to back BKK to get it. Then you must open a Thai bank account, and get a letter from the bank stating that you have an account and the amount of funds in the account. Between your deposited funds, and your monthly income, it has to equal up to 800,000 baht per year. Next you need proof of residence. They like to see a lease, but I think they will accept utility bills.

Show up at immigration with...

1. Your notarized letter from the US Embassy

2. Your letter from the bank, plus your bank book

3. Your lease or utility bills.

4. Bring your own pen, immigration doesn't supply them

5. Bring money, you will need to pay for the type O visa, pay for the retirement visa, and if you want to go in and out of the country, you will have to pay for a multiple entry stamp.

6. Your passport

When you get to immigration, go to the copy place next door and tell them that you need copies and pictures for a type O visa, and a retirement visa. Make sure that you tell them for both, or you will be sent back for more copies and pictures. Then go into immigration, fill out the form for the two visas. There is a help desk to pick up the forms from, often they have a farang there as well. Take a number and wait. When you get to the desk, be respectful, Don't talk a lot, just answer the questions asked, and wait. Under no circumstances get angry. It is an easy process. Immigration is probably the most efficient office in the Thai government. Do not get an attorney in the states, and do not pay anyone in Thailand for help, you can do it all.

You do not need it, but it sometimes helps to have a Thai speaker with you. I did my first one all by myself. The rest, I took Jane with me. See if Alice will go with you, her English is good enough to explain what is going on to you during each step. When you are finished, you will be given a number, bring that number back the next day, and they will trade it for your stamped passport.

After that, you only need worry about your 90 day reports. Don't be late, they will charge you 2,000 baht for being late, and to late, they can deport you. If you leave the country, the 90 days is reset to the day that you came back into the country. 90 days from your date of re-entry you need to file the 90 day report. You can do the report up to 5 days early, I always went a few days early in case there was a problem, or a Thai holiday that I didn't know about.. Don't sweat it Reggie, just arrive with all of the paperwork, and the required money, it will all be fine.

Don't take my word for it, but I think the type O visa is 1,900 baht, the retirement visa 1,900 baht, and the multiple entry is 3,500 baht. Plus you will pay for copies and pictures. If you have 10,000 Baht, you will be fine, and can have lunch on your way home.

Edited by lovedog100
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I didn't really notice that the fee was $35 because I was going by the separate "Visa Application Procedure" that I had downloaded from the RTC-Portland website that sets the fee @ $40. I don't know what the difference is other than as you said, the form may be outdated. Thanks for the insight.

CB

Reggie, Portland,s website is very outdated. If you really think that you need a 60 day visa, call them, don't go by their website. A 30 day visa on arrival should be more than enough time to get what you need. If you need help finding a house or condo, Derek Sharron can help. He is American, honest and hooked up with some American property owners that will treat you well. His number is 086-722-1216

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Lovedog, Your response and advice is first rate.

My comment was based on Airlines operating out of the UK where they need to see evidence of a flight out of Thailand when travelling on a tourist or getting a 30 day visa. If you do not have this they will not allow you to board. My recommendation to avoid this was to pre-book a cheap international flight out of Thailand, which probably would only be used as evidence.

Perhaps the Airlines out of USA do not require evidence of an outbound flight.

Reggie, Portland,s website is very outdated. If you really think that you need a 60 day visa, call them, don't go by their website. A 30 day visa on arrival should be more than enough time to get what you need. If you want something in advance, apply for the type O visa. Otherwise, just show up on a 30 day visa on arrival. However, you do not need a airline ticket to get a visa. To go to Thailand on a 30 or 60 day visa, you are required to have a return ticket. Some airlines will check, United checks for one each time I fly with them. In fact, one trip the computer flagged me, because I was going to get a 30 day visa on arrival, and my ticket back was 60 days later. I had to talk with a supervisor and explain that I was going to Vietnam also, and when I flew back into Thailand, I would get another 30 day visa on arrival. I came vary close to missing my flight over that. Another good reason to get the type O instead of the 60 day.

If you need help finding a house or condo, Derek Sharron can help. He is American, honest and hooked up with some American property owners that will treat you well. His number is 086-722-1216

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Lovedog, Your response and advice is first rate.

My comment was based on Airlines operating out of the UK where they need to see evidence of a flight out of Thailand when travelling on a tourist or getting a 30 day visa. If you do not have this they will not allow you to board. My recommendation to avoid this was to pre-book a cheap international flight out of Thailand, which probably would only be used as evidence.

Perhaps the Airlines out of USA do not require evidence of an outbound flight.

Some do. Added more to my post, while you were posting this. You are correct about the airlines requiring return tickets though. Reggie can get a changeable date ticket, and have the date within his visa dates, but they cost about double, sometimes more. It's the same price or less, to allow the cheap ticket to expire unused, and the just buy another ticket when needed. Although, he would be where I was when I did that, and have to show his retirement visa each time, to show that he is a Thailand resident and not required to have a return ticket. His tickets would be from BKK to the US and back from then on. As I said, I've had the computer pick it up, when the ticket agent at the desk missed it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Thanks Randy, but I have a question. Once I get the income verification letter, do I stay in BKK or can I come back to Pattaya to do the rest of the steps at an immigration office there? I already have a functioning bank account at Kasikorn, so that is already taken care of. I was planning on staying with Frosty for a week or so until I get something for lease sorted out. That is why I was interested in getting the 60 day visa to make sure I don't run out of time to do everything. I know it can be done on a regular 30 day visa, but I just like the idea of have a 30 day cushion there without having to make a visa fun for only 15 days extra, plus the expense of doing the trip. I'll be talking to you when I get there. I have to sell my pickup before I can leave, so I need to get going on that ASAP. Hope to be seeing you soon.

CB

Thanks Randy, but I have a question. Once I get the income verification letter, do I stay in BKK or can I come back to Pattaya to do the rest of the steps at an immigration office there? I already have a functioning bank account at Kasikorn, so that is already taken care of. I was planning on staying with Frosty for a week or so until I get something for lease sorted out. That is why I was interested in getting the 60 day visa to make sure I don't run out of time to do everything. I know it can be done on a regular 30 day visa, but I just like the idea of have a 30 day cushion there without having to make a visa fun for only 15 days extra, plus the expense of doing the trip. I'll be talking to you when I get there. I have to sell my pickup before I can leave, so I need to get going on that ASAP. Hope to be seeing you soon.

CB

As soon as you get your letter, you can head for Pattaya. It should take less than an hour to get the letter. Everything else can be done in Jomtien. You can catch a Taxi right across the street from the embassy to the bus station, or all the way into Pattaya. If you ask to go to the bus station, the driver will start negotiating a ride all the way to Pattaya.

Remember, you don't just have to have a bank account, but you have to have a letter from the bank, plus a copy of your bank book. 30 days is plenty of time. Get Sophon TV at Dave's house, and you will have a utility bill, and residence address. I got my first retirement visa using my hotel address. They had a problem with it at first, but I explained that I couldn't sign a lease without having a visa. I got away with it, but that doesn't mean that anyone can. Maybe my excuse sounded plausible, because I have met others that were not allowed to use their Hotel address. That said, I also know a couple of guys that rented monthly at Tigglebitties, and used that address. One of them is still there.

If you showed up in Pattaya with your letter from the embassy and then partied for two days, then went and got your letter from the bank, and partied for two days, then went to Jomtien and got your visa application, pictures and copies, then partied for two more days before turning in all your paperwork, you still have 20 days left on your visa. Days in Pattaya are boring, you can easily do one thing a day, and still have more than enough time, and never feel rushed.

If you have your visa letter when you arrive in Pattaya, you could pick one day during your first week, then go to the bank in the morning, and as soon as you have your letter, go to jomtien and fill out the paperwork, and do it all except picking up your passport in one day. If it's a slow day at immigration like it was that last time I did it, you might be able to pick up your passport the same day. You worry to much.

Edited by lovedog100
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Thanks Randy, you are probably right about me worrying too much. The more I think about it the more I like your suggestion on how to do this. I think I am going to wait until after July 20th as I have a birthday for my youngest daughter and one of my grandchildren. I will go a ahead and purchase my ticket and just have to eat the return portion as it is less expensive that way than getting a refundable ticket. At least I couldn't find one this afternoon when I was looking that would be worth it. Any how, see you in about a month or so.

CB

I have just gotten a 1 year Non O Multi entry from Hull in the UK Cost £125. I asked the lady about anyone who is not British getting visas there and she said " so long as they are in the UK at the time of application and have the entry stamp in their passport coming into the UK - then no problem, anyone reading this who was to travel from the USA to the UK could stay over a couple of days and so long as they have the entry stamp, could actually go in person the the consulate (or by post - takes 72 hrs) and get a Non O visa multi entry (1 year) within 15 minutes

• Upvote 1

I'm curious what the embassy requires for income verification?

From what I have been told, it is on your word, they will give it to you. Maybe someone that has personal experience in this can chime in here to verify or not. Myself, when I go get mine I will have a printed copy of the deposits into my bank account just in case they want more than my word on how much I have coming in each month.

CB

I have just gotten a 1 year Non O Multi entry from Hull in the UK Cost £125. I asked the lady about anyone who is not British getting visas there and she said " so long as they are in the UK at the time of application and have the entry stamp in their passport coming into the UK - then no problem, anyone reading this who was to travel from the USA to the UK could stay over a couple of days and so long as they have the entry stamp, could actually go in person the the consulate (or by post - takes 72 hrs) and get a Non O visa multi entry (1 year) within 15 minutes

Mick, but most certainly he could not get a Non-Imm O-A visa there!

Glad to hear Hull can still supply the 1 year 'O' though, I had heard that supply was tougher now.

(Perhaps you could post another topic detailing your experiences.... if I never have to go to Jomtiem Immigration again it will be too soon, although a drive down the M60/M62 isn't fun lately with the awful weather.)

Edited by jacko

Glad to hear Hull can still supply the 1 year 'O' though, I had heard that supply was tougher now.

(Perhaps you could post another topic detailing your experiences.... if I never have to go to Jomtiem Immigration again it will be too soon, although a drive down the M60/M62 isn't fun lately with the awful weather.)

All of my conversation with the lady at the consulate was entirely about Non O visas, she said " so long as an American had the entry stamp coming into the UK in the passport, they can process the application"

All of my conversation with the lady at the consulate was entirely about Non O visas, she said " so long as an American had the entry stamp coming into the UK in the passport, they can process the application"

Yes, it shouldn't be any different than a UK or USA citizen going to Manila or Singapore to get a visa.

Yes, it shouldn't be any different than a UK or USA citizen going to Manila or Singapore to get a visa.

Exactly right, only advantage is in the UK you can get a 12 month multiple entry Non O even if you are not applying for the visa based on marriage

• 1 month later...

Not really.Many consulates in the US are honarary consulates that are usually at a law firm.And most go by the strict letter of the law.The one I have used in Miami (Coral Gables actually) is only open for visas 1 day a week when I last checked.And that happened when Thailand was giving out free 60 day visas.They were basically working for nothing so they cut back hours.

Edited by bigdelta

Mick,what would you use as a basis for the multi O then?

Exactly right, only advantage is in the UK you can get a 12 month multiple entry Non O even if you are not applying for the visa based on marriage

Not really.Many consulates in the US are honarary consulates that are usually at a law firm.And most go by the strict letter of the law.The one I have used in Miami (Coral Gables actually) is only open for visas 1 day a week when I last checked.And that happened when Thailand was giving out free 60 day visas.They were basically working for nothing so they cut back hours.

You are correct there. I live in Portland, but used the Los Angles office. The Portland office does not seem well organized, they don't seem to know the laws well, and their web site is terrible. There is nothing professional about the office at all. The difference between the Portland and LA office was like night and day.

Reggie, one thing that I forgot to mention. You may need a appointment to get your letter from immigration in BKK. It wasn't needed when I was there, but there was talk of making everything by appointment only. I would check their website. If you have to spend the night in BKK the day you arrive, it stil might be better than having to go from Pattaya to BKK and back. That is an all day process in it's self, and the cost would probably pay for a night in BKK.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Mick,what would you use as a basis for the multi O then?

You can get a non O visa multi entry for 12 months if you w[put down you are living there, you will need to show some kind of rental agreement or utility bill, you can even call in at the consulate in Hull and they will do it in about 10 minutes, Dont be afraid to call them, they are very helpfull and i asked them if my American friend came to London, could he apply, they said yes , no problem, so long as they can see his entry stamp into london in his passport. If you have a relashionship with a Thai girl, then they would accept a letter from her detailing where you both will stay etc. It is not hard to get a 12 month multi entry from Hull

It is not hard to get a 12 month multi entry from Hull

Thanks... I thought it was harder. Always a good second option and I may be in and out of the UK more than once planned. Bypassing the extension/ exit permit may be easier.

From what I have been told, it is on your word, they will give it to you. Maybe someone that has personal experience in this can chime in here to verify or not. Myself, when I go get mine I will have a printed copy of the deposits into my bank account just in case they want more than my word on how much I have coming in each month.

CB

They just make you raise your hand and swear that you have whatever income you say you have and that's that. They sign off on it. When I went to Thai immigration, I had documents to show my monthly income, but they never wanted to see them.

I personally have not done the visa-waiver/ tourist visa conversion to a Non-Imm O (in Thailand), with the aim of a retirement extension, but it would sound simpler to arrive with the Non-Imm O if you can.

From what I understand off the Chicago Thai Embassy website if you can jump thru all the hoops to get a Non-Imm O , then you have also jumped thru the hoops needed for a retirement . They even want the Illinois Secretary of state to notorize four different documents, each document a chore in itself to get accomplished. Do yourself a favor and get a retirement visa while in Thailand, once you're there I guess they don't mind if you stay.

• Upvote 1

From what I understand off the Chicago Thai Embassy website if you can jump thru all the hoops to get a Non-Imm O , then you have also jumped thru the hoops needed for a retirement . They even want the Illinois Secretary of state to notorize four different documents, each document a chore in itself to get accomplished. Do yourself a favor and get a retirement visa while in Thailand, once you're there I guess they don't mind if you stay.

Very true!

• Upvote 1