Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Extra 'fee' for credit card??

Looking at staying at Flipper Lodge my next trip and interested in knowing about using a credit card to pay for the room and if its common for hotels in pattaya to tack on a service fee for paying by credit card?

Guest Fatboyfat

Havn't come across the practice in Pattaya. Flipper definately doesn't tack it on.

The thread will undoubtedly attract the scaremongering posts about using credit cards though. I personally have never had any problems with CC use here or at any other hotel.

(scaremonger) You need to do some research on any hotel you plan on staying at, some places have bad reputations for employees cloning and using your credit card for fraud.

The Penthouse hotel charged me 5% to use my Visa card.  It can be a common practise in LOS   T_T

Guest Fatboyfat

Penthouse !!!!  Say no more ! [smiley=cussing.gif]

A renowned rip-off joint in a Soi full of like minded establishments !

Maybe I should re-iterate "not NORMALLY" the case in Thailand. The Penthouse is not typical.

At least with the Penthouse, there is no extra charge for the little brown guests!

I had hundreds of roaches in my room, I could of sold them to the deep fried bug cart guy!   ;)  T_T

It's a hit-n-miss thing with the CC....Local Gold Shop, will do it, Hosptal didn't, Diamond Beach Hotel did it...

3 to 5 % is the surcharge...

It has happened to me 3 times and all three times I let My CC Company ( Chase ) Know and they charged back the fee to the business That charged the Fee and credited my account back the amount. And all three times I got a nasty email from the Business also.

My Sister worked for a Major CC Issuer and informed me long time ago the business are Never allowed to add a fee for CC use. It is in there contract when they agree to accept the CC.

Reason being the CC company makes a Percentage on each sale regardless of the amount so if a business wants to add on a fee the customer may say forget it and pay with cash.

One other note it is also not allowed for a business to have a Min Purchase required before you can use the card and that is for the same reason and if they tell you there is a Min say 10.00 Purchase before you can use the CC just smile and let them know you know that for will Check with Your CC Company and take there business card and they will almost always forget the Min.

I'm one of the scaremongers that had my cc cloned at the Flipper Lodge to the tune of 12K. :'(

Guest Fatboyfat
I'm one of the scaremongers that had my cc cloned at the Flipper Lodge to the tune of 12K. :'(

So, if you did the right thing, the fraud squad/police/credit card company or whatever investigated and sorted the place/employee out; right ?

CC company wrote it off. I was not libel for the charges. Next time I stayed there same employee's worked there.

Little Dick, I mean Dick Skinner hit it dead on with his post.

When a merchant signs a merchant agreement there is an entire clause that they are not allowed to charge "minimums" or "service charges." They are in violation of their agreement.  

I let them charge it, have the merchant detail it as "credit card service fee" on the receipt and then mail it directly to my credit card company and all the funds are always credited back to me.

Cheers,

Mark

The only hotel that tried the fee on me was the Nova Lodge.  So I paid in cash.  Had a gold shop try it once also.  Often, if you ask for the "fee" to be itemized on the bill they will refuse.  Frankly, I don't want the hassle when I go home dealing with the CC card company to get charges removed.     Roy

Little Dick, I mean Dick Skinner hit it dead on with his post.

When a merchant signs a merchant agreement there is an entire clause that they are not allowed to charge "minimums" or "service charges." They are in violation of their agreement.  

I let them charge it, have the merchant detail it as "credit card service fee" on the receipt and then mail it directly to my credit card company and all the funds are always credited back to me.

Cheers,

Mark

I think you will find this is only so in the USA

In the UK and Europe merchants are allowed to add on CC Charges, and frequently do so.

In the US on Ebay people arent allowed to ad on Paypal charges but in the UK this is a common thing to do.

Its been a common and standard practice in Thailand when staying at some Hotels for them to add on CC Charges and is not illegal or unlawfull.

Its also worth noting that some bucket shops in the UK selling very cheap flights will ask you to pay the CC charges. If they are only making £10-£15 per ticket then paying 4-5% CC charges is too much for them to handle

I think some of the shops in Australia can charge a fee now for CC's not all do and if they do they must tell you.

I think this came in last year  they also can have a minimum purchase policy.

[smiley=cheers.gif]

Bigmike.

I think some of the shops in Australia can charge a fee now for CC's not all do and if they do they must tell you.

I think this came in last year  they also can have a minimum purchase policy.

[smiley=cheers.gif]

Bigmike.

correct my sister has shops and here and  has a CC price and a cash price thats 5% cheaper.

the foot

At least with the Penthouse, there is no extra charge for the little brown guests!

I had hundreds of roaches in my room, I could of sold them to the deep fried bug cart guy!   ;)  T_T

What little brown guests are we talking about then? Roach turds?

Dick Skinner, perhaps your sister is not the font of all knowledge.

This is quite true but I have never had a single problem getting the Fee credited back to my account

Lazyboy,

When I go to LOS I prefer to be the Fucker not the Fuckee ;D

I'd be careful using a CC regardless of the fee - 2 trips ago I used my visa card and 3 months later someone had charged over $3K to it.

Didn't have to pay it but what a pain in the butt getting it cleared from my account.

From then on - T/C's and cash

In NZ we don`t pay charges on CC use I mostly use the Eftpos system as I prefer to pay as I go .

We all pay cash to the ladies [smiley=1luvu.gif]

As I have said before I still use my debit card at the ATM'S I refuse to pay the commision on T/C'S and It's to easy to loose cash. I take three cards with me from different banks but only take one with me at a time to withdraw cash. I have a A$2000 limit per day on them so I can withdraw 60,000 baht per day (plenty of B/F'S & L/D'S there) and  just use my credit card as back up.

[smiley=cheers.gif],

Bigmike.