Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Pattaya to Chang Mai

Hi guys,

Anybody got any updated information on the bus service from Pattaya to Chang Mai

I am looking at potentially using NakonChai Air, which I understand is a pretty good service and takes

approx 11 hours

I am also looking at getting the overnight train from Bangkok and then flying back from Chang Mai to Bangkok,

but would like more info on this (or other bus services) as another potential travel option

Looking for info regarding particularly regarding comfort, coveniance and reliability

Thanks

Den

Don't know why but can hardly read your small font!

The Nakonchai air website no longer seems to have a timetable, but I think it would be easy to pop to their depot and check the timetable out, and book tickets. Their call centre is 029360009, The last bus I took turned off at Den Chai and headed more East. The VIP bus (I guess that is Gold Class now) is pretty comfy.

Ah found it, all in Thai!!!

You have to get the bus for Rayong to Chiangmai, picks up in Pattaya, That is the next to bottom block on the right, under the line.

Timetable..

As to the train, again I got off at Den Chai but it was okay...but going into central Bangkok is tiresome if you have baggage. There are many flights now but beware that the budget carriers (Air Asia for eg) have moved back to Don Muang.

Edited by jacko

When I was there last week Nok Air was only THB1,399 all-in to Isan so I can't imagine the price to Chaing Mai is a lot more, out of Don Muang. And it isn't - THB 1600 to 2000. Not many airfares in other parts of the world for $50 or $60.

Or the VIP bus from Mo Chit for around 900: see here: http://www.sawadee.com/transfer/bus-north.htm

The train seems to take as long or longer as the bus, go figure. But trains are cool and not a lot of dough. I have heard you can book the entire first class sleeper compartment for two (if you are only one) for less than the cost of two tickets. See this site: http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm#Bangkok%20to%20Chiang%20Mai

I proposed to my TG she fly on Nok Air and the idea terrified her as did it costing double the bus, on principle. I guess these VIP buses are quite nice, it's overnight and you save on a hotel for the night which would pay the trip and then some.

Edited by Grandpollo
  • 2 weeks later...

If you check out the Air Asia deals you can get flights BKK to CM for as little as 1,000 baht return. I have a flight booked in January 2013 for 1,000 baht. Why travel by bus.

I just did a quick check for a return early December and the cheapest I found was 3400 round trip total...... somewhat more. Add the cost of getting to Don Muang relative to a bus station on Sukhumvit in Pattaya and obviously some would like to make that saving.

Even mid-January yielded 2580 baht......looks like the deals are no more.

I just did a quick check for a return early December and the cheapest I found was 3400 round trip total...... somewhat more. Add the cost of getting to Don Muang relative to a bus station on Sukhumvit in Pattaya and obviously some would like to make that saving.

Even mid-January yielded 2580 baht......looks like the deals are no more.

"Somewhat more", but only US$100 for a round trip on an airline that saves someone 18-20 hours on a bus. How low is acceptable on an airline, really? I don't think holding out for $33 round trips is a very good option in terms of the odds of working out.

A bus will cost 1700-1800 round trip so there's 1/2 the cost anyway, so you look at saving $50 and spend 20 hours ex-BKK making time worth $2.50 an hour.

I would not save $100 for 20 hours of sitting on a bus. Maybe a train overnight in a private compartment. Though the TG says no to the plane on the grounds of price though I suspect the idea of flying for the first time might be a part of it.

Edited by Grandpollo

Firstly, the plane does not go from Pattaya to CM...the original OP question.

Secondly, the flight does not cost as little as some suggest, at the moment, nor do they consider time and expense of getting to Don Muang.

Thirdly, the trip on the bus does not take 20 hours one way. You can go overnight, then you are not wasting your $2.50/hr.

I think the cost is less than you state too....maybe about 800 baht each way on the bus..........dependent on class. Some might like to save the money and regard the time well spent to see more of Thailand.

Yes I do regard 3xthe price as somewhat more. From my perspective, the chore of getting to DM makes the plane less attractive, and teh OP did ask about the bus.....

I did the over night train from BKK, All first class sleepers (1000b) had gone. so we had a bunk with a curtain (800b). It was ok with plenty of room, you could easily have a TG with you. Arrived a 7am, refreshed and ready to go! Best way in my view.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info. much appreciated

As a bit of an update, the flights are available for as little as other folk posted - lots of choice re dates/times as well.

Edited by CheshireTom