Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 304 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Learning driving motorbike in Pattaya

Hello everyone,

Is there any driving school in Pattaya where I can learn driving motorbike? I have EU driving license and about 7 years car driving experience.

When I listened to my GF, who tried to teach me, my lesson ended up with small accident :) So can you suggest experienced teacher (preferable foreigner) who can share some tips and help me get used with bike?

Thanks in advance

• Upvote 1

i would suggest for you not to drive...

i was one of the lucky ones and im still driving after 3 years of driving every time i visit pattaya.

if you really want to drive in pattaya get a thai licence first and then learn around the dark side and stay away from all the main roads for a while.

you need eyes in the back of your head.

i've seen many people rent bike from me and after 7 or 14 days they bring back the bike and they have hardly done any miles...

i always ask them if everything is ok and most of them are too scared to drive them in pattaya.

• Upvote 1

Get a license in your own country at a proper riding school and then get in ten years practice first before riding in Thailand.

Edited by steamer

The other posters are serious, and correct... Pattaya is a dangerous place to learn...not only because of the traffic, but by the number of inexperienced, reckless, and drunk motorcyclists around, many of which are other tourists... I drive and motorcycle in Thailand, but will be the first to say it's quite a bit more of a challenge than many other places, and IF...IF you get in an accident, don't be surprised if it's your fault regardless of what happened, especially if you collide with a Thai national.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I also noticed how dangerous it is to drive in Pattaya. When I decided (three times) that I am going to buy a motorbike, I became a victim of motorbike accident the same day. May be it's a sign from 'above'? 555

Actually the only reason why I want to learn - to drive outside of Pattaya. I live here for a long time. I already saw all interesting places... so I thought that it would be a nice idea (extreme) to drive to other nearby cities (to Khlong Yai in 5 days for example). I learned basic Thai, so I hope locals will understand me.

The car is safer to fulfill my plan but knowing how locals love to charge for scratches I cannot rent it (unless there are both side insurance, the same I have in EU, which covers all expenses despite the fact who was guilty, since I know that I will be guilty anyway, against thai driver). As for the bike, I could simply buy one (second hand) and if something happen, I will through it away.

What do you think, is it a good idea or it will be too dangerous?

I have been riding for almost 50 years now, the last eight in Pattaya and i also have a bike in Australia still. There is no doubt that a bike gives u so many options for travel but the downside is the danger. you say u have a home licence so u can already ride? My thought would be to hire a bike, get an experienced friend to take u somewhere quiet, like on the darkside and practice.

Don't forget hospital insurance though, you might need it.

Thanks biggles for tip regarding insurance. Can you suggest any trusted company or did you mean insurance from governmental hospital? Knowing the way thai companies prefer to deal with foreign clients, I am afraid that when it comes to cover expenses, they will do their best to find reasonable explanation, why my case is special ;) I wish to be wrong...

What if I change bike to scooter? (for first time, to get used with two wheels) Will that reduce the danger and can it be used to drive for 50km distance?

Trvlr I cannot manage to find link/button for PM message. May be, my account does not have enough reputation to use PM? Anyway I am interested in any reasonable solution.

Trvlr I cannot manage to find link/button for PM message. May be, my account does not have enough reputation to use PM? Anyway I am interested in any reasonable solution.

Follow the link in the opening page on the forum that says HOW TO BECOME A MEMBER

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Three insurance issues . Travel insurance, many companies only let u have upto 125cc, some make u have a licence in your own country as well as in thailand, and some wont cover you

Local health cover for hospitals, I Have the travel so dont use it. Pattaya expats have a policy cover

Bike and accident. You can take out insurance to repair yor bike, pay for damage to other propery, cover medical for passengers etc I used the German Thai group in pattaya.

Shouldn't be just too taxing on your driving skills, not sure if the second driver passed or not but wouldn't be surprised if she did.

Regards

Edited by Fireman Sam

Shouldn't be just too taxing on your driving skills, not sure if the second driver passed or not but wouldn't be surprised if she did.

Regards

When I did my test in Canada I got a demerit for not honking at an idiot.

That video demonstrates that I definitely need some practice.

Is there any chance that any driving school may provide instructor who can go with me to some quiet place and give some driving tips? I am ready to pay for hours in the same way as for car driving lessons.

Also I want make charity (for good luck) to appropriate authorities to increase a chance of getting driving license :) Any suggestions?

As for insurance - where I can get more information? Is there any web site with prices and conditions for each? What is guarantee that I will be paid (I hope I will never need it).