Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

I just heard back from the Pattaya Orphanage. They suggest we pay them a visit on Dec. 18 between 3 p.m. and 4 p.m. They also asked if I would be willing to meet with the kids in their school for the deaf. So besides the 25 toddlers under three, there will be 37 deaf children between three and eight years of age who need presents. Time to head back to my workshop!

Still plenty of room if anyone wants to join. The details of the visit to the Camillian Social Center haven't been finalized yet.

Santa Penevil

post-9139-0-60501500-1356179810.gif

• Upvote 3

That's a heck of a nice effort, Evil.

I can't be in town to help out but happy to send a few yen.

PM details how I can pay.

Same goes for me. Shot me a PM on how I can send my donation.

I think posting the details would be more effective here.

Thank you, gentlemen, for your offers to donate. For several reasons, I don't want to get involved in accepting electronic transfers of money. I'd suggest you donate to one of the groups or institutions that help children in Pattaya. I'll post the Web addresses to the Pattaya Orphanage, Mercy Center and Camillian Social Center and you can see how to donate to them.

Again, thanks for your generous offer!

Santa Penevil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 3

I just heard back from the Pattaya Orphanage. They suggest we pay them a visit on Dec. 18 between 3 p.m. and 4 p.m. They also asked if I would be willing to meet with the kids in their school for the deaf. So besides the 25 toddlers under three, there will be 37 deaf children between three and eight years of age who need presents. Time to head back to my workshop!

Still plenty of room if anyone wants to join. The details of the visit to the Camillian Social Center haven't been finalized yet.

Santa Penevil

attachicon.gifpost-9139-0-60501500-1356179810.gif

You are an exceptionally good person Evil for once again taking the time to do this for the children. I am sorry I don't get into town until just after Christmas.

I will be in contact with a good friend of mine who I am sure will be joining you again, I'll get him to sort my donation so my money is put to excellent use.

I hope plenty of people participate and have a great day.

Hi Evil,

I arrive on the 15th December and hopefully i will be able to get some baht to you but i will not visit walking street / Flb until the 19th as she works in that area and

i don't want her to know i have arrived earlier than she knows :P

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Evil,

I enjoyed my time last year at the Orphanage and will be arriving on the 19th Dec.

Last year we did not get to see many young kids due to the funeral of one of the sisters, but hopefully this year it will be ok.

I would like to join you again this year and will be happy to contribute 15,000 baht this year.

Send me a PM with details.

cheers

Rodney

I get the value and purpose in giving away the gifts and it is a great thing. But is the whole Santa/Christmas thing appropriate in a Buddhist country? I would think not. It is really not that appropriate in Western supposedly Christian countries. Could you just show up and hand the stuff out that way?

I get the value and purpose in giving away the gifts and it is a great thing. But is the whole Santa/Christmas thing appropriate in a Buddhist country? I would think not. It is really not that appropriate in Western supposedly Christian countries. Could you just show up and hand the stuff out that way?

You have been here and seen how the Thais revel in any form of celebration or festival, and the gift giving aspect is not religious. The Santa stuff really goes down well, I attend a Christmas festival here each year and have seen it first hand. The place is already lit up and festive. Let us not be an old Scrooge. :D

They enjoy the Santa gift-giving thing ... and not only the Buddhists ...

• Upvote 1

They enjoy the Santa gift-giving thing ... and not only the Buddhists ...

attachicon.gifxmas.jpg

Great picture, Tom. Did you take it? If so, I congratulate you on getting a good shot of their playful nature.

I imagine them doing this in Saudi or Afghanistan would not be so well-received.

Great picture, Tom. Did you take it? If so, I congratulate you on getting a good shot of their playful nature.

I imagine them doing this in Saudi or Afghanistan would not be so well-received.

I've used the pic before ... I just cropped it so it focuses more on their eyes. I'll probably be using it as my virtual Xmas Card this year ...

Edited by CheshireTom

The visit to the orphanage will go off on Dec. 18 at 3 p.m. and the visit to the Camillian Center (as part of a large group) is planned for Dec. 22 (NOT Dec 17 as earlier stated). I'll message everyone who has contacted me to set up the time/place where we can meet before the orphanage visit and also give you the details about the items the orphanage has requested as donations.

The kids really enjoy the Santa thing. The orphanage has asked me this year to meet some of the older kids as well as the toddlers because Santa is so popular with them. Thais don't see Christmas as a religious holiday. Like Halloween or Valentine's Day, it's just an excuse to have a party and maybe get some gifts. It's just a secular commercial event for Thais; I don't see any clash with Buddhist religious practices.

One mamasan, who's very serious about honoring Buddha and goes to a temple almost every day, asked me for a plush Santa teddy bear to hang on the spirit altar in her bar. That was two years ago and Santa is still there today.

post-9139-0-64072000-1324563235.jpg

Santa Penevil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 3

Put Fah and myself down for Camillian whenever it's planned - I guess there will be fewer takers for this as it's a way down the road. We can take three in addition in the pickup, and about 6 on the back as well if needed ..

Have done this myself with a girl , they give a list of requirements ,

dropped off baby milk. , and we where invited to see the children , they do enjoy the attention ,

So I'm sure the Santa gig is more than well received .

Joe

Edited by gs joe

If you drop by my resort my staff will give you 10,000 baht to help you in your xmas drive.

Just call before you arrive to collect

Southern Star Resort

Soi12 Naklua

That's a very generous offer and will go a long way to providing some extra cheer for the kids. I'll be in touch to arrange the details and make sure you get receipts as to how the money was used.

Many, many thanks! You have my best wishes for a Merry Christmas and a Happy and Prosperous New Year!

Santa Penevil

• Upvote 3

The visit to the Pattaya Orphanage went off very well. The kids were absolutely thrilled to see Santa. One little boy was disappointed I didn't bring any reindeer, but I told him Pattaya was too hot for reindeer and they were resting in Chiang Rai. I'll be posting a fuller account and some pics later.

For those of you who want to participate in the visit to Camillian Center in Rayong on Dec. 22, the visit is being done in cooperation with Viking and LaaMok of the Night Wish Bar on Soi 6. They have arranged for several mini vans to transport participants. There's a thread about it on Pattaya Addicts called "Trip to the Rayong childrens HIV Center 22nd of December," You DO NOT have to be a member of Addicts to ride along. If you are a member, you should post your intention in that thread. If you're not, PM me and I'll let Viking and LaaMok know you're coming.

I can promise you, there's no better way to celebrate the holidays than a visit to the Camillian Center.

Santa Penevil

• Upvote 3

Bumping this thread once more to give everyone a chance to participate. Hope to see a few Pattaya Talk BMs at the Camillian Center in Rayong.

Santa Penevil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 2

The visits to both the Pattaya Orphanage and the Camillian Social Center went off very well. I didn't take any pics myself (too busy, it's not easy when you have dozens of children demanding your attention), but others did and hopefully I'll be able to post some of them.

A big thanks to Bushcraft and his lovely lady who supplied Santa with a sleigh for the trip to Rayong and also made a generous donation. Another big thanks to Nev of the X-Zone and Southern Star Resort for his extremely generous donation. Santa will be dropping off the receipt for how the donation was used. And a third thanks to LaaMok and Viking of Night Wish and Pattaya Addicts, who brought bus loads of P-A members and girls to the Camillian Center.

There was no mistaking the joy and excitement in the eyes of the kids over their presents and goodies. It was amzing how many of them just wanted to hug Santa and sit beside him. I also visited the adult section with a member of the Center staff to spread a bit of cheer there. I had to fight back the tears when some of them wished me "Merry Christmas."

So to everyone who was involved my biggest:

768-thank-you.jpg

and Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

Santa Penevil

• Upvote 3