Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Italian Trattoria in Jomtien ( where the airport bus arrives )

Really nice environment, an open air venue, allowed to smoke...a chilled place on the Thappraya road...polite service...

The food:

Zuppa di cozze ( half portion, the full was shared with a mate... ordered on two separate plates )... the taste was great, but where is the zuppa ? ( soup ? ) The waiter's reply: Nitnoy soup... .Despite the lack of the soup the taste was perfect for the 7 drops of the zuppa..I dunked with bread...

trarroriazuppadicozze.jpg

Spaghetti di vongole.... a little bit dry ( lack of the sauce ) at the beginning... maybe time to learn how to mix the sauce with the pasta or just give more sauce... The sauce was tasty and good...and noticable only at the end of the food... The huge jar full with parmesan cheese was generous to give some taste for the naked pasta at the beginning....I think I used more parmesan cheese, than the food was priced...

trattoriavongole.jpg

Gnocchi in cheese sauce... at least the sauce was enough, but the gnocchi was somehow strange, soft....I don't know... my mate ordered it...the value of the ingredients vs. the price ... I think zero... not mention the culinary value....it's good only to cram your stomach just like with liquid concrete... no valuable or healthy ingredients.... But it was his choice and the taste was good...

trattoriagnocchi.jpg

The fish... I really don't know if it was italian style or thai style because of the tomato sauce vs the chilli pieces.. a TG ordered it and was served with rice...anyway it tasted great... Food for thought... why only the fishes are sooo overpriced everywhere in the world and considered as the tourist trap.... ? Those fishes are sold in the markets, in the TESCO for pennies and sold as diamonds in the restaurants...as an example... mackerel are sold in the TESCO for 20-40 baht / kilo and sold 100-120 baht / piece even on the Jomtien beach road in the hole in the wall thai restaurants....and the moving sellers...

trattoriafish.jpg

Tiramisu... simple excellent and reasonably priced..... nothing more to say....

trattoriatiramisu1.jpg

trattoriatiramisu2.jpg

If you ask me about the value....Overall.... mediocre, IMO not worth the price ( 200-250 Baht range the food ) ... but I'm biased again, usually I cook for myself and I cook good... I tried the shell foods, because they are not for sale in the local market ..... saw them rarely elsewhere in Pattaya and Naklua, but no way to walk hours in the heat with the shells in my backpack.... and cook on the next day..

Edited by Gabor
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Eaten there a few times. Always thought the food was good and good value.

So did my mates....today they went to order a take out pizza and a calzone.... I tried the both... ( I myself never would pay 250 baht for a piece of bread dough topped with some food slivers ) ... both were tasty and enjoyable... and they were happy with it.... hehe... my lunch was... toasts topped rich with salmon caviar... a former russkie customer ( rented my condo a year ago ) brought me a kilo for 1500 baht from russia...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Really nice environment, an open air venue, allowed to smoke...a chilled place on the Thappraya road...polite service...

If you ask me about the value....Overall.... mediocre, IMO not worth the price ( 200-250 Baht range the food ) ... but I'm biased again, usually I cook for myself and I cook good... I tried the shell foods, because they are not for sale in the local market ..... saw them rarely elsewhere in Pattaya and Naklua, but no way to walk hours in the heat with the shells in my backpack.... and cook on the next day..

It does look great, I'd like to try it one day.

So did my mates....today they went to order a take out pizza and a calzone.... I tried the both... ( I myself never would pay 250 baht for a piece of bread dough topped with some food slivers ) ... both were tasty and enjoyable... and they were happy with it.... hehe... my lunch was... toasts topped rich with salmon caviar... a former russkie customer ( rented my condo a year ago ) brought me a kilo for 1500 baht from russia...

Those would be fish-eggs then. Roe!

Caviar is only from the sturgeon family of fish....(Acipenseridae).

Those would be fish-eggs then. Roe!

Caviar is only from the sturgeon family of fish....(Acipenseridae).

Sturgeon meat and sturgeon caviar is banned in Russia, not available anymore in shops, restaurants.... penalized with jail to fishing on it...

However this, so called red caviar ( how russians call it ) isn't bad at all too....

P1030222.jpg

P1030223.jpg

P1030226.jpg

P1030227.jpg

• Upvote 1

Looks like salmon roe to me, or "ikura" in Japanese.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roe

Very tasty when fresh.

Yes.....

In Russian, all types of fish roe are called "икра" (caviar), and there's no linguistic distinction between the English words "roe" and "caviar." Sturgeon roe, called "чёрная икра" ("black caviar") is most prized. It is usually served lightly salted on buttered rye bread, or used as an ingredient in various haute cuisinesauces and dishes. It is followed in prestige by salmon roe, called "red caviar," which is less expensive, but still considered a delicacy.

• Upvote 1

Yes.....

In Russian, all types of fish roe are called "икра" (caviar), and there's no linguistic distinction between the English words "roe" and "caviar." Sturgeon roe, called "чёрная икра" ("black caviar") is most prized. It is usually served lightly salted on buttered rye bread, or used as an ingredient in various haute cuisinesauces and dishes. It is followed in prestige by salmon roe, called "red caviar," which is less expensive, but still considered a delicacy.

Interesting the similarity between the Russian ikra and the Japanese ikura. I guess ikura is a loan word from the Russian. I'd always thought it was native Japanese.

Learn something new every day!

Interesting the similarity between the Russian ikra and the Japanese ikura. I guess ikura is a loan word from the Russian. I'd always thought it was native Japanese.

Learn something new every day!

haha....in hungarian also we say: ikra

• Upvote 2

Yes.....

Thanks for the education, I did double check the English definition of Caviar and salmon eggs was excluded.

I shall be cautious if I need to dine at a Russian restaurant in Pattaya!

I would likely knock it off the table and grab the Absolut instead! :D

haha....in hungarian also we say: ikra

Which means roe or fish egg regardless what kind of fish we’re talking about. But in Hungarian we also use the word caviar (kaviár). As Jacko pointed out earlier it is exclusively used to describe the roe of sturgeon, all others called roe, like salmon roe, trout roe etc. In certain countries like Sweden it is even forbidden to use the word caviar for other than the roe of sturgeon, something similar to the cognac vs. brandy or champagne vs. sparkling wine. It would be only fair not to ignore that.

• Upvote 1

Which means roe or fish egg regardless what kind of fish we’re talking about. But in Hungarian we also use the word caviar (kaviár). As Jacko pointed out earlier it is exclusively used to describe the roe of sturgeon, all others called roe, like salmon roe, trout roe etc. In certain countries like Sweden it is even forbidden to use the word caviar for other than the roe of sturgeon, something similar to the cognac vs. brandy or champagne vs. sparkling wine. It would be only fair not to ignore that.

Your confident ignorance sometimes amazing....

1. In Hungary everything called " kaviár " what is a fish egg and not from our local river / lake fish....

61666-409-489-2-0-2012-03-30-2012-04-07- 13161_XL2.png

As Sweden.... the picture of the product above imported from Sweden or Norway or Dane....

A friend living in Sweden / Stockholm brought me the following swedish products:

kiskaviar.jpg

None of them sturgeon caviar.....

Edited by Gabor
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Your confident ignorance sometimes amazing....

1. In Hungary everything called " kaviár " what is a fish egg and not from our local river / lake fish....

61666-409-489-2-0-2012-03-30-2012-04-07- 13161_XL2.png

As Sweden.... the picture of the product above imported from Sweden or Norway or Dane....

A friend living in Sweden / Stockholm brought me the following swedish products:

attachicon.gifkiskaviar.jpg

None of them sturgeon caviar.....

You're totally missing the point. As usual. I make it easier for you to understand then - tell me which part of my above post is untrue.

Edited by Patna
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You're totally missing the point. As usual. I make it easier for you to understand then - tell me which part of my above post is untrue.

What point I missed ? You found me again and tried to give me a lecture with your false bullshit....

Untrue:

1. Hungarians use the word " kaviár " only on sturgeon eggs

2. In Sweden forbidden to call kaviar the non sturgeon fish eggs....

No more infos in your post I replied....OK... now tell me the true part in your post....

( Admin... can we separate the fish egg debate in an other thread ? )

Edited by Gabor
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

( Admin... can we separate the fish egg debate in an other thread ? )

Not that critical...just stop discussing caviar/roe, though it has been informative. I'm saddened to hear that beluga caviar production has been halted. I always wanted to try it, but the price! Now that it is illegal, I am sure you can still get it, but it'll be even more expensive.

BTW, I couldn't eat those salmon roe. I've only used them for fish bait.

Now, flying fish roe, that's another thing altogether. I love those.

Not that critical...just stop discussing caviar/roe, though it has been informative. I'm saddened to hear that beluga caviar production has been halted. I always wanted to try it, but the price! Now that it is illegal, I am sure you can still get it, but it'll be even more expensive.

BTW, I couldn't eat those salmon roe. I've only used them for fish bait.

Now, flying fish roe, that's another thing altogether. I love those.

My first taste of Caviar was on a flight out of HKG, USA bound, it was United and we got an upgrade from Biz to First after slipping some money to someone! The accompanying vodka helped me recover from the night before involving some Thai hookers and an emptied mini-bar costing me an arm-and-a-leg at The Sheraton Towers! Never knew Beluga was no more.

Argumentative fellows these Hungarians!

I'm thinking I may have had some one time. It's tiny little black eggs very salty strong taste. Was that likely to be beluga caviar?

It came in a tiny tin and I wasn't given very much on a cracker.

I don't remember where or when that was tho, but I can see that black egg on a cracker in my memory.

I'm thinking I may have had some one time. It's tiny little black eggs very salty strong taste. Was that likely to be beluga caviar?

It came in a tiny tin and I wasn't given very much on a cracker.

I don't remember where or when that was tho, but I can see that black egg on a cracker in my memory.

It sounds very much like it.....either Russian or Iranian.