Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

I bought my gf the above phone a while ago to replace her antiquated one. She was delighted, but since she has begun using it her monthly bill has soared! It is averaging B5000 per month. Not being out there it is difficult to compare chatges with other companies, but AIS stacks up as follows:

Calls - B3 per min

SMS - B9 per min

Data - B700 pm

Gov Tax 7.5%

The problem is the sms charge as we do this a lot. Just 10 texts a day, which isn't much for us, clocks up the best part of B30 in a month with the packet data,calls,tax etc still to add. Emailing is free, but without an audible alert is not a viable alternative. The irksome thing is that we had no problems with cost when she was using her old phone. So, is the hike due to the fact that she is now using the "Blackberry", or are AIS stiffing her by putting her on an inappropriate tariff? How do the other providers compare? DTAC, Truemove etc.

Finally, if I got myself a Blackberry, is the BBM feature a freebie? If so that could be an option.

Cheers guys!

She giving you this bill herself? lol

My GF has AIS as well, and she chats/sms's her friends all day... and I pay about b1700 a month. The package we are on is unlimited internet (b800), 600 SMS + 700 minutes calling.. and she usually goes over a bit. I think the package by itself is about b1500.

My package is b1200, with only 200 SMS and 200 minutes and unlimited internet, and I almost never go over, all of my stuff being on the internet. To be fair, a good deal of hers is too - Line/Viber.

5k baht means your either still using the cards and topping up her phone, or shes pocketing the difference. If your still on the cards... STOP IT lol. Get her to go to Telewiz and convert from 1-2-Call (AIS Pay as you go) to a AIS package that meets her needs... will save you a fortune every month.

Is what's app not available for a blackberry ? Then you could text for free all day and at least that's one part of the equation solved.

I have never used blackberry so apologies if it's not available.

Regards

I kept the same package for donkeys years before it suddenly clicked that my calls were 8 baht/minute.
Now I pay 1 b/m and accept the shorter validity.
Many people SMS continuously, unless you get a large number free (inclusive), that is dumb, I can talk for a few minutes for what a text message costs me. The phone companies snuck that up on us.....
Modern-day smart phones keep pulling data and that is where most people get beaten up...especially when they switch from an old style phone.

PS....My phone costs me about 200 baht a month!

Edited by jacko

My GF has AIS as well, and she chats/sms's her friends all day... and I pay about b1700 a month. The package we are on is unlimited internet (b800), 600 SMS + 700 minutes calling.. and she usually goes over a bit. I think the package by itself is about b1500.

My package is b1200, with only 200 SMS and 200 minutes and unlimited internet, and I almost never go over, all of my stuff being on the internet. To be fair, a good deal of hers is too - Line/Viber.

5k baht means your either still using the cards and topping up her phone, or shes pocketing the difference. If your still on the cards... STOP IT lol. Get her to go to Telewiz and convert from 1-2-Call (AIS Pay as you go) to a AIS package that meets her needs... will save you a fortune every month.

She is on some 3G thingy, But the Blackberry version. It is the same in the UK. I can put my O2 sim into any phone and just use it, but as soon as I put it in a Blackberry I get an sms telling me I have to either get the bolt on or sign up to their Blackberry tarrif to use it! She gets the unlimited internet, free up to 2G I believe, same chatge for internet, 3 baht per min call (ok), but the 9B per sms kills us. The 600 free sms would solve it. What is the name of that tarrif? Cheers

Is what's app not available for a blackberry ? Then you could text for free all day and at least that's one part of the equation solved.

I have never used blackberry so apologies if it's not available.

Regards

She is talking about some app called Application Line, which AIS downloaded for her. It needs to be on both phones. I have since purchased a Blackberry (via her) and she will get the app installed on it, again by AIS. Hopefully this will solve it. Shame a simple change of tarrif can't do it tho. Frostfires GFs app would be perfect if it fits BB.

I kept the same package for donkeys years before it suddenly clicked that my calls were 8 baht/minute.

Now I pay 1 b/m and accept the shorter validity.

Many people SMS continuously, unless you get a large number free (inclusive), that is dumb, I can talk for a few minutes for what a text message costs me. The phone companies snuck that up on us.....

Modern-day smart phones keep pulling data and that is where most people get beaten up...especially when they switch from an old style phone.

I don't understand the idea of spending hours and hours on a phone all day, get a life and stop being such a bore.

PS....My phone costs me about 200 baht a month!

I think you talk shit! I like to text. I'm dumb in that we don't get the large amount of free texts, but then again I'm not in the country and didn't set the thing up. You know what they are like, right? Texting you can do on the go. You don't have to down tools and allocate time to do it. It is an elongated conversation that can last all day.

IT'S ALSO NICE TO LOOK DOWN AND SEE YOU HAVE A REPLY TO READ LOL :bhappy

Thinking about this again, it is free international texts she needs, not domestic.

I think you talk shit! I like to text. I'm dumb in that we don't get the large amount of free texts, but then again I'm not in the country and didn't set the thing up. You know what they are like, right? Texting you can do on the go. You don't have to down tools and allocate time to do it. It is an elongated conversation that can last all day.

IT'S ALSO NICE TO LOOK DOWN AND SEE YOU HAVE A REPLY TO READ LOL :bhappy

I think you talk balderdash too but nevermind.

My package is calls 1b/min, SMS 4 baht, for local of course, so I make short calls.

Even your price list above shows calls 1/3 the price as a SMS, presuming you mean per SMS not minute!

Spend her money how you like of course.

I cannot text on the go, it is easier to make a call than send an SMS, but I do neither when driving.

Perhaps you could explain Skype messages to her?

My email gives me an audible alert on a smart phone.

My TGF complains too of 9baht international SMS charge when I am in the UK, but she gets calls for 1b/minute or sends an SMS saying 'Skype now?' I think it is nicer to talk face to face.

I couldn't find any special packages for Blackberry or SMS International 3G with AIS on their website.

Edited by jacko

I think you talk balderdash too but nevermind.

My package is calls 1b/min, SMS 4 baht, for local of course, so I make short calls.

Even your price list above shows calls 1/3 the price as a SMS, presuming you mean per SMS not minute!

Spend her money how you like of course.

I cannot text on the go, it is easier to make a call than send an SMS, but I do neither when driving.

Perhaps you could explain Skype messages to her?

My email gives me an audible alert on a smart phone.

My TGF complains too of 9baht international SMS charge when I am in the UK, but she gets calls for 1b/minute or sends an SMS saying 'Skype now?' I think it is nicer to talk face to face.

I couldn't find any special packages for Blackberry or SMS International 3G with AIS on their website.

Calltime or skype are of no use to me. I'm a train driver and am not allowed use of my mobile at work. A quick sms or reply to an sms is feisable when changing ends or in a siding as I don't have to put the phone on display by holding it up to my ear. If I'm not at work I'm in the gym or on the mountain bike so dislocated comms best for me. In fact I'm really missing the sms thing. She is sending plenty of emails, but it's not the same. To me emails are something that I check once a day on the desk top before crashing out. Thanks for checking for a BB package. I can't find one either, but one thing is for sure. Thai comms co's are pricing themselves out of the sms market.

• Upvote 1

As an old person I recall early mobile packages were expensive for voice calls, but they offered pretty cheap text messages (SMS) service, and that became a popular way of getting in touch.. to the point where now I find that is what most people do, rather than disturb! The phone networks seemed quick to pick up on this and now we have relatively expensive text messages, after all, it is just using a smidgin of free bandwidth... As I said, it came as a surprise to me that I could have a 3/4minute call for the price of a text!

Excuse me in that not knowing the type of job you did I hadn't realised why a quick call was not easy.

The Thai mobile market is geared towards, well Thais surprisingly, I can make International calls quite reasonably from here (Skype or True Inter card), but an SMS seems overpriced. But what a market eh, all those little love ditties going back and forth all day long, easy to get into a string of 5 or 6 each way over some little subject. Nice little earner.

I hope someone more technically evolved than me can suggest something else.

I can check short emails and type a quick reply as easily as sending a text on my smart phone though..(Android).

Or maybe using Blackberry makes it restrictive.

Have a good day.

Yeh. You nailed it there! 5-6 sms per day was squat diddley. We talking 20+ easily accumilated thus: Her: Hey guy, how your dick 2day? Me: Hey: Now I hear your voice it hard like a rock! Her: So, you gonna use that rock? etc etc etc. You can see how it would add up, but as you say I thought this was pretty much charged as freetime as it is/was before. Never again to LOS...but I miss that facility as it was fun! Cheers!

ps: You live in LOS?

Yeh. You nailed it there! 5-6 sms per day was squat diddley. We talking 20+ easily accumilated thus: Her: Hey guy, how your dick 2day? Me: Hey: Now I hear your voice it hard like a rock! Her: So, you gonna use that rock? etc etc etc. You can see how it would add up, but as you say I thought this was pretty much charged as freetime as it is/was before. Never again to LOS...but I miss that facility as it was fun! Cheers!

ps: You live in LOS?

Yes I do live here.

Tilak got the sms rate down to 5 baht per sms by having a yak yak with the AIS main office in Bkk. I'm impressed!

That is good..... now you can up the number of messages. :D