Jump to content
Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.
Sign in to follow this  
Brown1950

Emirates ex Stansted

Recommended Posts

 

Stansteds runway is the same length as the 2 at Manchester, give or take a meter, so they wouldn't need to lengthen the runway..... it could handle an A380....

 

Sorry should have been Southampton, not Stansted. Southamptons runways is rather short but they own a huge amount of land around it so could possibly expand or even bung in a new runway.

I think theyre waiting to see what happens to Bournemouth. I think the new owner will close it and build a housing estate making millions in the process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Severn, airborne incidents will be directed to either Prestwick or Stansted, depending on where they occur.

You are of course quite correct but as this thread concerned Stansted and Emirates I didn't think it relevant, unless of course Emirates are considering flying from Prestwick now.

 

Sent from my ASUS_Z010D using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Emirates have just announced London Stansted is to go double daily on July 1st 2019 due to increasing demand......

Emirates have certainly proved the doubters wrong!!!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, TheFiend said:

Emirates have just announced London Stansted is to go double daily on July 1st 2019 due to increasing demand......

Emirates have certainly proved the doubters wrong!!!

 

 

They have indeed, They seemed to have pulled a bit of a flanker with this one, upgrading to 2 services a day is no small measure for any Airline, all in what, less than 10 months or so?. I think it was announced the flights would commence on 08/06/18 Brown1950 said. Not bad going.

Edited by Butch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Butch said:

They have indeed, They seemed to have pulled a bit of a flanker with this one, upgrading to 2 services a day is no small measure for any Airline, all in what, less than 10 months or so?. I think it was announced the flights would commence on 08/06/18 Brown1950 said. Not bad going.

And Goldpanner definitely got it wrong..... he didn't even think it would last the first year....

Just goes to show that  not everybody wants to use LHR..... I've flown via LHR once and I wouldn't do it again.... I'm spoilt for choice as I've got plenty of choice up North..... MAN, NCL, GLA and EDI all offer connections to BKK via Europe and the Middle East...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TheFiend said:

MAN, NCL, GLA and EDI all offer connections to BKK via Europe and the Middle East...

Something direct well overdue!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2019 at 10:53 PM, jacko said:

Something direct well overdue!

I don't understand why BA don't fly direct from MAN.

Surely the demand is there, and they would make a fortune.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GeeGee said:

I don't understand why BA don't fly direct from MAN.

Surely the demand is there, and they would make a fortune.

They seem to like to get the passengers to use their always late shuttles to and from Manchester. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2018 at 5:05 PM, Goldpanner said:

 

Sorry should have been Southampton, not Stansted. Southamptons runways is rather short but they own a huge amount of land around it so could possibly expand or even bung in a new runway.

I think theyre waiting to see what happens to Bournemouth. I think the new owner will close it and build a housing estate making millions in the process.

With the railway at one end and the M27 motorway at the other, the current runway at Southampton is as long as its going to be. They could conceivably extend over the M27, but that would cause additional terrain clearance issues with the hill at Bitterne.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jacko said:

They seem to like to get the passengers to use their always late shuttles to and from Manchester. 

Same as Glasgow, Edinburgh, Birmingham etc. etc....they don't operate any long haul flights. God knows what their business model really is, but its not to make money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2019 at 2:32 AM, Bob Belzy said:

With the railway at one end and the M27 motorway at the other, the current runway at Southampton is as long as its going to be. They could conceivably extend over the M27, but that would cause additional terrain clearance issues with the hill at Bitterne.

What about a new runways southeast into Itchen Park> As I live in Wiltshire is appeals to me and narks me I have to go to Gatport airwick or Heathrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Gottsy said:

What about a new runways southeast into Itchen Park> As I live in Wiltshire is appeals to me and narks me I have to go to Gatport airwick or Heathrow

Airport expansions are about as welcome as a 'fart in a spacesuit'; local noise lobbyists and environmentalists would be a huge hurdle in that area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2017 at 11:31 AM, The_Fat_Controller said:

@Goldpanner, Southampton's runway is too short for a 777 !

Just snooping around the forum and found this.

Twould seem that Southampton is enlarging its runway

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/16887861.southampton-airport-announces-plans-to-extend-runway/

 

I also heasrd rumours about them buying or attempting to buy some of the land to the east of it. Could cause some public rows??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Emirates service from Stansted is proving very popular, £462 from Stansted to BKK and the timings aren't too shoddy either. With the new Cathay pacific attitude towards customers regarding privacy etc, we might make the change back to Emirates for any Manila trip, s Stansted is about 40 min away, whereas LHR and LGW over 2 hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the announcement of a possible extension to Southampton runway and also the purchase of Bournemouth airport who says he may increase flights, there has been a huge increase in advertised fares from Southampton to Bangkok, via Paris, Amsterdam, and Finland. Adding it all up its going to be cheaper (though longer) to fly from Southampton. I know there's some horrendous change times but that doesn't bother me that much as I read a lot. But pricewise and time from house time its going to be cheaper when I take into account Heathrow long term parking, fuel and driving time. To Southampton, for me, its only a short hop.

I'm going out to Bangkok and New Zealand in October so will update then (if I'm still alive)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2017 at 8:36 AM, Goldpanner said:

 

I wont travel from Stanstead now, The bastards actually charge people to drop passengers off, apart from which, its a shitty airport at best.

To be honest though I realy dont see the point of Emirates running out of there.

Its an airport in the middle of nowhere not near any large connurbation and for anyone living in, say Colchester or Chelmsford its just as easy, probably easier to get to Heathrow

I live in Chelmsford and can get to Stansted in 25, 35-40 in peak traffic) minutes it takes me 1 hour and 10 minutes with no traffic to get to Heathrow (Did it at middy just before xmas and it took me over three and a half hours for the round trip) and about the same to Gatwick , from Colchester where my son lives its 40 minutes to stansted and 1 hour and 50 minutes to Heathrow and Gatwick . so how you think its just as easy to use the other airports from essex is beyond me.One other thing although it may now be well out of date, but I heard that the landing fees at heathrow and gatwick were double that of Stansted and add to that the limited number of slots at the current heathrow and gatwick airports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2020 at 3:56 AM, sinbinjack said:

I live in Chelmsford and can get to Stansted in 25, 35-40 in peak traffic) minutes it takes me 1 hour and 10 minutes with no traffic to get to Heathrow (Did it at middy just before xmas and it took me over three and a half hours for the round trip) and about the same to Gatwick , from Colchester where my son lives its 40 minutes to stansted and 1 hour and 50 minutes to Heathrow and Gatwick . so how you think its just as easy to use the other airports from essex is beyond me.One other thing although it may now be well out of date, but I heard that the landing fees at heathrow and gatwick were double that of Stansted and add to that the limited number of slots at the current heathrow and gatwick airports.

Chelmsford? Hello there from Sunny Suffolk 🙂

A few mates from work who visit pattaya regularly now opt for the Emirates out of Stansted, taking that extra hour of M25 travel out of the equation makes a big difference. The A120 once you get off the A12 and past the single lane carriageway (only 9 miles so even at 50 mph it's only about 11 or 12 minutes) is then trouble free dual carriageway all the way there. Brilliant. Same goes for several girls heading back to the Philippines. Also, another major bonus is that National Express runs coaches from nearby Ipswich to Stanstead (via a couple of pick ups) then onto LHR.

I've heard good reports about the service into BKK, it leaves around 21:10 for the night flight,  arrives at 18:30 ish, or 15:10 arriving at 12:15 (both +1) coming back though is an 03:30 departure (or 02:20) arriving UK at 13:30 . Just did a search for June and it was £613 , not too shabby but not the cheapest out there.

Edited by Butch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Butch said:

Chelmsford? Hello there from Sunny Suffolk 🙂

A few mates from work who visit pattaya regularly now opt for the Emirates out of Stansted, taking that extra hour of M25 travel out of the equation makes a big difference. The A120 once you get off the A12 and past the single lane carriageway (only 9 miles so even at 50 mph it's only about 11 or 12 minutes) is then trouble free dual carriageway all the way there. Brilliant. Same goes for several girls heading back to the Philippines. Also, another major bonus is that National Express runs coaches from nearby Ipswich to Stanstead (via a couple of pick ups) then onto LHR.

I've heard good reports about the service into BKK, it leaves around 21:10 for the night flight,  arrives at 18:30 ish, or 15:10 arriving at 12:15 (both +1) coming back though is an 03:30 departure (or 02:20) arriving UK at 13:30 . Just did a search for June and it was £613 , not too shabby but not the cheapest out there.

I can get £485 for a 2 month stay in april.thats a good price for Emirates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One other thing to be aware of is that the 21.10 flights all have 28 to 33 hours as the first leg  and the return is a reasonable 15-16; whilst the 1500 flights are all 15-16 both ways.

one other thing I checked ,or my son checked the  buses from Chelmsford and I needed to go to colchester nd then Stansted but the journey takes 3 and a half hours and costs £40 with national express.

Edited by sinbinjack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, sinbinjack said:

One other thing to be aware of is that the 21.10 flights all have 28 to 33 hours as the first leg  and the return is a reasonable 15-16; whilst the 1500 flights are all 15-16 both ways.

one other thing I checked ,or my son checked the  buses from Chelmsford and I needed to go to colchester nd then Stansted but the journey takes 3 and a half hours and costs £40 with national express.

Yep I noticed some of the later flights further down the page have horrific layover times, but there are options to leave at either 21:10 or 15:00 and still have the 15 hour travel time option. It sucks that the bus only runs from colchester. Taxi would probably be a chunk more, but a 3 1/2 hour faff for National Express seems a bit daft, especially as you're so close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Butch said:

Yep I noticed some of the later flights further down the page have horrific layover times, but there are options to leave at either 21:10 or 15:00 and still have the 15 hour travel time option. It sucks that the bus only runs from colchester. Taxi would probably be a chunk more, but a 3 1/2 hour faff for National Express seems a bit daft, especially as you're so close.

Lucky for me I have a son and a couple of mate and we drive each other to the airports as needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sinbinjack said:

Lucky for me I have a son and a couple of mate and we drive each other to the airports as needed.

How is Stansted for dropping off? Any anti-social short term parking charge?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jacko said:

How is Stansted for dropping off? Any anti-social short term parking charge?

last time I went it was first 5 or 10 minutes free and then a charge , but I can't remember what the charge was because we didn't have to pay . Dropping of is no problem 5 minutes is plenty but picking up needs careful planning by mobile phone so you don't leave your lift waiting. Personally I wait in the mcdonalds (2 minutes away) but if you don't buy something there you can be hit with a parking charge, so beware. It was on the tv programme watchdog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2019 at 2:35 AM, Bob Belzy said:

Same as Glasgow, Edinburgh, Birmingham etc. etc....they don't operate any long haul flights. God knows what their business model really is, but its not to make money.

BA business model is like most Airlines (ie) route all flights via your own hub. BA hub is LHR

BA part of the IAG Group made £1.952 billion operating profit last year and I along with many shareholders are very happy with BA !

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...