Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Hua Hin International Jazz Festival

It's difficult to find good music in Thailand, except for jazz. The late King was a big fan and good with a saxophone.

Took the train from Hua Lamphong station last weekend, five hour journey in 3rd class cost 94 baht.

DSC_2090.jpg

Stayed at the Amari

DSC_9336.jpg

DSC_9260.jpg

DSC_9269.jpg

DSC_9292.jpg

The festival featured two stages, on the beach for the international acts and a smaller stage for local artists, lasted two days, and was all FREE.

DSC_2132.jpg

This band was called Los Rumbaros, a Thai spin on Latin-flavored jazz.

DSC_2175.jpg

DSC_2155.jpg

This guy called himself The Keyboard Mafia

DSC_2233.jpg

Here is Pang, the SaxPackGirl, with her band

DSC_2305.jpg

DSC_2308.jpg

Pang, the SaxPackGirl, jamming with the Keyboard Mafia

DSC_2256.jpg

Acoustic jazz with the Sydney Wasurat Trio

DSC_2313.jpg

The Beach Stage featured the diva, Simone Kopmajer

DSC_2392.jpg

DSC_2436.jpg

DSC_2450.jpg

This band was called Shakatak, they played elevator music so I didn't stay for the full set.

DSC_2458.jpg

DSC_2460.jpg

Otherwise, the town was pretty quiet

DSC_2356.jpg

DSC_2359.jpg

Soi Binabaht very quiet

DSC_2375.jpg

DSC_2349.jpg

Steak and Eggs for breakfast at Murphys

DSC_2339.jpg

Black Fettuccine

DSC_2320.jpg

Tamarind Market

DSC_9316.jpg

Sunday I took the Hua Hin-Pattaya Ferry, crossing in 2 hours for the hefty price of 1250.

DSC_2489.jpg

This was my first venture to the Hua Hin Jazz Festival, now I'll be attending every year. In 1973, I went to see Miles Davis in concert in Milwaukee. He didn't show up.

For more photos of Hua Hin, see

http://www.pattayatalk.com/forums/topic/63761-a-few-days-at-the-hua-hin-hilton/

• Upvote 4

Great report and good to see Hua Hin ferry still going.

Out of interest how much was the Amari per night please? (not sure why font is small sorry)

Edited by jacko
Enlarge font, hope you don't mind.

Great report and good to see Hua Hin ferry still going.

Out of interest how much was the Amari per night please? (not sure why font is small sorry)

Around 1800 now, about 3000 high season

The Ferry had about 80 passengers on this Sunday afternoon. It has capacity for over 400, including VIP rooms you can rent for 14000 that can accommodate up to 8 people. They have stewardesses coming around with coffee, but I take the catamaran service to Koh Kood and a 2 hour trip there costs 350.

DSC_2501.jpg

DSC_2513.jpg

DSC_2528.jpg

Edited by RhinoTusk
  • Upvote 3

I would like to give the Pattaya/ Hua Hin ferry a go next month. Can anyone update me on likely hotels where handy for the town centre and nightlife please.

I enjoyed the Hilton. Centrally located, can be affordable off-season, has a large pool with a swim-up bar.

Pattaya is full of beer drinkers. Hua Hin is full of wine drinkers.

Thanks for the essay. If anyone feels up to it I would appreciate some thoughts about the Pattaya/Hua Hin ferry trip.

Is the Business Class worth the extra?

How far/long say from the ferry terminal to say the Hilton and how do you travel it?

Are there any smaller hotels in the same area that are OK?

Any other info on things to see and do.

I stayed in Hua Hin in 2016 for three nights in 2016. I travelled from Pattaya to Bangkok airport to pick up my daughter (coming from Australia), then by bus to Hua Hin. The Bus ride was 4 hours of utter boredom- really nothing to see but industrial sites.

We stayed at the Hua Hin Marriott Resort at a cost of approx. THB4,000 per night per room. This was a special on Booking Com, booked and paid in advance. It is a great hotel, and I can thoroughly recommend it, particularly if you are with family. On the beach. The restaurants in the hotel are good, and there is a beach bar to relax and watch the sunset.

Hua Hin itself reminds me of a mid-western town or a small Australian city. It does not appear particularly Thai. Strip mall in town.

There is a night market, which is crowded with tourists, but devoid of any interest. Food there is poor quality and expensive, and the items on sale look as if they where simply brought from the street market’s in Bangkok then doubled in price.

There are “Baht buses” there, but they act mostly like taxis, and have higher fares.

Hua Hin is a resort town for “wealthy” Thais and tourists, and any of the major resorts are probably worth a look. I did not explore any bars.

Personally, I would like to revisit the place, simply as a peaceful and relaxing (if somewhat expensive by Thai standards) break. If you are by yourself, stay in a better hotel and limit the visit to two days.

IMG_20160719_164438.jpg

IMG_20160719_173821.jpg

IMG_20160719_173932_1CS.jpg

IMG_20160719_174549_5CS.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the essay. If anyone feels up to it I would appreciate some thoughts about the Pattaya/Hua Hin ferry trip.

How far/long say from the ferry terminal to say the Hilton and how do you travel it?

Business Class has more legroom, economy is comfortable

Ferry arrives at Khao Takiab, taxi mafia to the Hilton is 250 baht. The two bar areas are Soi Bintabaht (near the Hilton), and Soi 80.

https://www.thethailandlife.com/pattaya-to-hua-hin-ferry-service

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g297922-Activities-Hua_Hin_Prachuap_Khiri_Khan_Province.html

Cha-Am is another beach community a half hour north.

Edited by RhinoTusk

Teelack,

Check out the Dead Farang Chanel on you tube. He does a full report on the ferry and ventures into all the available classes.

Hope it helps.

Teelak, if you are looking for a hotel not far from the beach, close to the nightlife, and close to Farang food outlets and bars etc., then try Jed Pee Nong Hotel. Pretty good rooms, good pool etc. Google it and have a look. I love the seafood in Huan Hin, and the night market seafood restaurants are great value, while the seafood restaurants down by the water (on the jetties) is good, but more expensive.