Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Satalite Dish

I have True vision Gold package and on Jan 1 they removed 4 English movie channels but never replaced them with anything. I'm thinking of going with a satalite TV dish, does anyone have one or know if there any good for English TV?

You might be better going with a Android box of some kind. Cheaper, more options and more reliable these days. Satellite is an old expensive technology. 

Of course I have no idea if there are hacked/cracked receiver boxes available. If so, then satellite may be ok. I just can't see paying a huge monthly fee for it these days. 

I got 2 dishes on my house neither of which is used now. Old technology.

You would get better selection with a good internet connection! I stream from my laptop but an android box will do the same. 

As mentioned in a couple of other threads, I'm planning to spend a lengthy period of time in Thailand (12 months minimum, yippee), probably starting in March.

I'll look to rent a  nice furnished condo/apartment, quiet and near a decent beach, that has good security, a pool, gym and near some local shops with easy access to taxis (that's a task in iteself - I may well book in a hotel for a week first and go the various property places to find the most appropriate place).

While I'll be enjoying myself in the usual manner, I also plan to be sensible and won't be out on the town every night, so want to ensure I get decent tv access. I see Android devices have been mentioned in this thread - perhaps that's the best way to go? I'm looking to get Sky Sports and ideally BT sport too (though that seems to be tricky) to watch Premier League/Champions League and golf but also really enjoy the crime programmes I can get here in the UK via my Sky subscription (ID - Investigation Discovery, channel 154 on Sky, Sony Crime , Sky channel 157 and CBS Reality, Sky Channel 146 as well as National Geographic, History channel, BBC1, ITV, Sky Arts, Sky News, etc.).

I won't have a base in the UK during that period, so can't use something like a slingbox to access a Sky subscription via VPN remotely.

Do you any of you guys living there have any suggestions please? Looking around on the internet it seems a real quagmire, hard to understand what best to do. As I'll be renting, I won't be able to chuck up satellite dishes or drill holes in walls, so looking for the best solution using wifi and a set-top box. I'll need to ensure the wifi is powerful enough, again possibly getting something individual installed or a booster so I have no buffering problems with HD. I guess I could also stream via my laptop and hdmi-it to the tv.

I'd be very grateful for any advice.

21 hours ago, Britboy said:

As mentioned in a couple of other threads, I'm planning to spend a lengthy period of time in Thailand (12 months minimum, yippee), probably starting in March.

I'll look to rent a  nice furnished condo/apartment, quiet and near a decent beach, that has good security, a pool, gym and near some local shops with easy access to taxis (that's a task in iteself - I may well book in a hotel for a week first and go the various property places to find the most appropriate place).

While I'll be enjoying myself in the usual manner, I also plan to be sensible and won't be out on the town every night, so want to ensure I get decent tv access. I see Android devices have been mentioned in this thread - perhaps that's the best way to go? I'm looking to get Sky Sports and ideally BT sport too (though that seems to be tricky) to watch Premier League/Champions League and golf but also really enjoy the crime programmes I can get here in the UK via my Sky subscription (ID - Investigation Discovery, channel 154 on Sky, Sony Crime , Sky channel 157 and CBS Reality, Sky Channel 146 as well as National Geographic, History channel, BBC1, ITV, Sky Arts, Sky News, etc.).

I won't have a base in the UK during that period, so can't use something like a slingbox to access a Sky subscription via VPN remotely.

Do you any of you guys living there have any suggestions please? Looking around on the internet it seems a real quagmire, hard to understand what best to do. As I'll be renting, I won't be able to chuck up satellite dishes or drill holes in walls, so looking for the best solution using wifi and a set-top box. I'll need to ensure the wifi is powerful enough, again possibly getting something individual installed or a booster so I have no buffering problems with HD. I guess I could also stream via my laptop and hdmi-it to the tv.

I'd be very grateful for any advice.

I use this; https://www.iviewhdthailand.com/

I can't record, but there's a 7-day catch up on most channels.  You can load the service on your smart TV or computer, but personally, I use the Android box they sell, just link to your wifi and you're off.  Seems pretty bulletproof. 

4 hours ago, Big_Brian said:

I use this; https://www.iviewhdthailand.com/

I can't record, but there's a 7-day catch up on most channels.  You can load the service on your smart TV or computer, but personally, I use the Android box they sell, just link to your wifi and you're off.  Seems pretty bulletproof. 

Thanks for this Big Brian, that seems to cover everything I need . . . brilliant.

I presume you actually order in Thailand rather than order from UK and bring it with me?

19 hours ago, Britboy said:

Thanks for this Big Brian, that seems to cover everything I need . . . brilliant.

I presume you actually order in Thailand rather than order from UK and bring it with me?

This one, yes came in a few days iirc. I believe there are UK versions, but I have no experience of those - no VPN needed with this, I don't know if you bought in the UK.

One strange thing though, its UK Sky, but Southern Irish adverts. I'm guessing that's where they get the feed from. Weird though, seeing adverts you recognise, but with totally different accents.  ?

4 hours ago, Big_Brian said:

This one, yes came in a few days iirc. I believe there are UK versions, but I have no experience of those - no VPN needed with this, I don't know if you bought in the UK.

One strange thing though, its UK Sky, but Southern Irish adverts. I'm guessing that's where they get the feed from. Weird though, seeing adverts you recognise, but with totally different accents.  ?

Ah, ok, I'll maybe wait until I get there before ordering it, though have emailed them the question. Let's see if they get back to me.

This is the one I'm looking at - seems to have all the channels I'm looking for:-

https://www.iviewhdthailand.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=556

Interesting what you say about Irish adverts. I'm presuming you can't hold live tv on this like I can here in UK? The no. of ads on Sky really gets on my tits, so for drama or crime I hold it for about 30 minutes, then watch so I can skip through the ads.

On 1/12/2019 at 12:16 AM, Britboy said:

Ah, ok, I'll maybe wait until I get there before ordering it, though have emailed them the question. Let's see if they get back to me.

This is the one I'm looking at - seems to have all the channels I'm looking for:-

https://www.iviewhdthailand.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=556

Interesting what you say about Irish adverts. I'm presuming you can't hold live tv on this like I can here in UK? The no. of ads on Sky really gets on my tits, so for drama or crime I hold it for about 30 minutes, then watch so I can skip through the ads.

Pause it, no. But you CAN rewind up to an hour (even if you've just changed to that channel) then skip ads when watching - it's more of a "jump forward a minute at a time" than the sort of fast-forward with picture you're used to.  Better than nothing though.  Me, I only really watch sport & news live, with the time difference, most programs I want are on at bad times for me - and on catch-up, you DO have a pause.

3 hours ago, Big_Brian said:

Pause it, no. But you CAN rewind up to an hour (even if you've just changed to that channel) then skip ads when watching - it's more of a "jump forward a minute at a time" than the sort of fast-forward with picture you're used to.  Better than nothing though.  Me, I only really watch sport & news live, with the time difference, most programs I want are on at bad times for me - and on catch-up, you DO have a pause.

Great, thanks Big Brian, much appreciated.

Rewind is good, especially as you say you can then skip the ads.

I guess as time goes on they'll improve the functionality too.

I'm looking forward to getting over there and getting this installed. It'll be great to have Sky Sports and BT Sports from the same box, though as you say the time difference doesn't help. When the Prem kicks off at 3 pm UK time on a Saturday it'll be 9 pm or 10 pm in Thailand. On a Saturday night I may be doing other things . . . ?

And the 7.45 pm UK kick offs will be a nightmare . . . 

• 2 weeks later...

Try talking to the True reps at the counter, i go to the one in Tesco Lotus on Thepprasit. I had a talk to them as i was disappointed in the gold and they gave me an upgrade on the internet to 100 meg, platinum package and full fiber run into the house for 150 baht a month more, got everything i need pretty much. I have an android box but not to impressed with it, also have netflix which is awesome for $12 bucks a month

6 hours ago, cbrib said:

Try talking to the True reps at the counter, i go to the one in Tesco Lotus on Thepprasit. I had a talk to them as i was disappointed in the gold and they gave me an upgrade on the internet to 100 meg, platinum package and full fiber run into the house for 150 baht a month more, got everything i need pretty much. I have an android box but not to impressed with it, also have netflix which is awesome for $12 bucks a month

Thanks I'll try that