Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

I stayed for 2.5 weeks at the Marriott in May 2002. Very nice hotel. Hotel staff neat, friendly, and attentive.

I had no problem at all with bringing guests back to my room during that stay. Perhaps, I was just new, but I strolled right on in each night with my guest, and no problems...wasn't even aware this was an issue...

Upon reviewing the "hotel review" portion of this web site, I see that people who have recently stayed at the Marriott have been forced to pay a joiner fee of 800-1000B for guests, with horror stories of security and desk personnel tracking them down and demanding payment. The exception being if you register your guest ahead of booking, which isn't going to happen.

Does anyone know if this is true?

I will be visiting Pattaya (paradise) this September for 3 weeks...counting the days :eyecrazy I want to stay at the Marriott again, but not if this is an issue.

Also, any personal hotel recommendations in the S. Central Pattaya area with good GF policy would be appreciated...in case I decide to book in another hotel.

Thanks!

I've stayed at the Marriott with no problems. September is low season and I would book one night for a double and let the staff know that I have many GF that will stay with me. If they want to charge a joiner fee. I would find another hotel the next day.

Next trip, I'm staying at the Pig & Whistle, Soi 7.

Pattaya Marriott does not charge for guests whether registered or not. That policy does not change with the seasons either.

Other possibilities are the Siam Bayshore or the Hard Rock. I was particularly impressed with the junior suites at the Hard Rock for around Bt6,000 per day. However, I don't think anywhere beats the ambiance of the pool area at the Marriott.

For me, I'll pay and stay in the JW or the Marriott Spa or similar in Bangkok but I just don't think the price difference between say circa Bt1500 hotels and those mentioned above is justified.

There's plenty in the circa Bt1,000 to Bt1,500 with nice pools and clean rooms. Near Walking Street, the Welcome Plaza springs to mind with a junior suite at Bt950 (can sometimes be had for Bt850).

:rolleyes:

No guest fee in Pattaya Marriott but hotel takes ID of your TG. In view of pool I would say Dusit is better but at the end of the other side. Dusit, however, does not take ID of your new friend. I think the room charge is almost the same in the range of B3000 to B3500 per night.

Thanks to all, for the replies!

After further review, I think that the e-mails concerning the guest hastles were outdated, think that they were from before I visited the first time. I just didn't remember seeing any problems with guests...glad to see that is the way it still is.

Yes, the Marriott is a bit overpriced (albeit, an enjoyable stay), and I am considering a more moderate stay this time. A lot of people seem to think the Residence Garden is good...off the beaten path, homey...looks nice...may give it a shot.

Plus it looks like a regular stay for many with my same mindset, and have better chance meeting people to hang with, as I may end up going alone this round - buddies work schedules won't permit. But, I'm not putting paradise off!

Any other hotel recommendations are welcome...Cheers :wub:

The main thing to do with a booking at Dusit, Hard Rock and Marriott, especially Dusit, it to book a Double. These days it sounds like Hard Rock and Marriott will let your guest in whatsoever while Dusit still are a bit more by-their-rules.

Book the double room and your odds double...

Bayshore and Bayview, Siam that is, forget it. Like someone said. Any hotel with Siam in the name, pay pay pay!

Been staying at all of the ones above, and no doubt, Dusit win! Good size rooms, pools, gym, everything. One thing... no real good/fantastic restaurant. They have the best dinner buffet (Sat) in town (cold section better than the hot), but haven't tried the chinese one that lots of people love... One day I will write a long one about them all, but I'm slow.

And if you think you will get ruined for some food in the morning at Dusit... walk over to the bakery and grab a huge, I mean good size, sandwich for 70-85B (Ham, Salmon, Chicken, etc). The Buffet is around 4xx for breakfast, and that is ++. A "Limo" down to Lek is 150B and you call them to pick you up again. So... 150+150+Lek's 90(?). So you save a bit with the Limo/Mercedes/Camry down to Soi 13. Breakfast by the pool is cheaper.

Would love to hear someone saying a few words about Amari and Thai Garden.

I'm addicted to sea view but I could change my mind...

Dingo

Thanks Dingo,

Appreciate the gouge on the Dusit. Decisions...Decisions...

The only thing I've heard about the Amari is that it is very nice, a luxury outfit... but, they do charge for guests...

Have a good one.

Residence Garden is on the baht bus route. No hassle getting into or out of town. I never stayed there but a lot of guys like it.

Heard the same about Montien.

I thought that one was ok after a friend of mine stayed there a few years ago.

Then I sent a guy there and he was hit with the fee and had to check out so things change!!!

It changed to the better for Marriott and others over the years, while some change to the worse.

I always bring-the-fish-to-the-sea so I never know these days...

The only hotel I know that haven't changed since my first trip in '86 is Siam Bayview. Haven't heard about anyone managing to get a bird to the elevator in there. Bayshore is big and spread out so you might be lucky there.

Thanks to all, for the replies!

After further review, I think that the e-mails concerning the guest hastles were outdated, think that they were from before I visited the first time. I just didn't remember seeing any problems with guests...glad to see that is the way it still is.

Yes, the Marriott is a bit overpriced (albeit, an enjoyable stay), and I am considering a more moderate stay this time. A lot of people seem to think the Residence Garden is good...off the beaten path, homey...looks nice...may give it a shot.

Plus it looks like a regular stay for many with my same mindset, and have better chance meeting people to hang with, as I may end up going alone this round - buddies work schedules won't permit. But, I'm not putting paradise off!

Any other hotel recommendations are welcome...Cheers :rolleyes:

When I was a tourist I stayed at the Residence Garden. I really liked it and appreciated the in room electronic safe, cards for the doors and not keys etc. The fact that it was a suite with a separate bedroom was a bonus.

The pool in front always seemed relatively deserted so you could drop in for a swim or just to cool down.

The only problem is the baht bus and the fact that the drivers don't know where it is. The hotel cards show the location from Jomtien, not Pattaya !

If I was still a tourist, I would probably still stay there though.

Thanks again,

Ya, I'm reading all the info about places to stay. Especially, the debate on Sandy Spring/Sunshine Vista/RG/Roof Garden, Sabai Lodge, ...Dusit, Pig & Whistle, Welcome Plaza...ect...all are obviously great choices...comes down to what you want...

My first trip in Pattaya, I spent a lot of time at Sois 1-4 (even though I stayed at the Marriott)...liked the relaxed beer bars...and company was real nice there.

Looking for a place that is off the beaten path (quiet at night/not a lot of road noise), but just a short walk to a Baht Bus route...close to beer bars...and a few go-gos...good pool and bar atmosphere for hanging out/friendly staff...golf accomodations...room service not important, prefer to eat out...regular bath is fine...

The more I go over what I want, it all matches the Sabai Lodge...has all of these criteria...I see it's important to get room off the road and understand it may look a little worn (with exception of the new rooms)....but the price for a Deluxe room looks great (as I'm going to be there 20-30 days cost is becoming a consideration), good pool area with bar, have golf packages, close to my favorite beer bars, just 100 meters to Baht bus ride to Soi 8 and WS, cheap/good food close...and all of the hotel reviews are pretty much positive. So, this is where I'm leaning now...

But the RG and SS are still good considerations....decisions...decisions...

I'm thinking that since I'll be going in Low Season, Sept, I'll initially book for 4-5 nights...then take one of my first few days to check out SS, SV, RG, Roof Garden Dusit, PW...and other pads... See something I like...will go there! B)

Cheers :banghead

wbill

I checked out sabai lodge web site and they are having a new block built, should be finished about September.

Yes,

I will inquire as to the "new wing" (6 floors) at Sabai Lodge...likely when I arrive, I'll ask to have a look at all the rooms...see what's best...but do like the idea of being around the frequented main pool/bar area...we'll see.

I'll certainly report on my trip (adventure) to paradise, and report relavent info. to this site...counting the days :eyecrazy

At Montien you ask for the exective or the alike where you pay around B3,000 then no charge for your guest. The same room but higher floor, > 10th floor.

At Marriott if you book through agent then most case they will ask for guest fee. In case you pay by your own card, >B2,500 then no charge again. They always want to get more from group tourist ....