Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Hi Jgarty,

The majority of banks and travel agents in the uk will look in there little black books when you say you want t/cs for Thailand, and then recommend that you take them in Dollers!

Dont do it !!! I have made this mistake twice and always get a worse exchange rate when over there.

Sterling is best, preferably American Express Travellers Cheques, as these can be exchanged anywhere, as opposed to some such as 'Thomas Cook' or 'Marks & Spencer Bank' cheques.

Enjoy your trip mate,

Prince.

Take America Express Sterling TCs every time, you get approx 1 Bhat more per pound than cash. Get TCs in large dominations pref £100s because you get charged 33 Bhat for every TC changed.

Hope this helps.

Get yourself a Nationwide flexaccount put your money in there and draw it out free and at a good rate from ATMs which are everywhere. By far the most hassle free / cost effective method of dispensing your money.

I have just come back. Took £300 in Amex TC's but kept them as standbye. Used ATM all the time. For each 10000baht I took out bank charged £2. Rate of exchange same as quoted for tc/s in banks in LOS.

Always keep some baht for next trip.

Ric

I have just come back. Took £300 in Amex TC's but kept them as standbye. Used ATM all the time. For each 10000baht I took out bank charged £2. Rate of exchange same as quoted for tc/s in banks in LOS.

Always keep some baht for next trip.

Ric

Richerts, you'll need to open an account with the Nationwide. You get very close to the true market rate plus no charges.

Alan

I just take sterling cash and get it changed at Don muang apt. the rate always seems about a baht better than it pattaya. if your hotel has a in room safe or safety deposit box then all should be well and it saves fucking around. whenever I`ve used the atm the rate seems 2-3 baht down on the rate at Don Muang. and every little helps.

hallo,

admittedly this has nothing to do with OP's question, Spaceboss has mentioned the Nationwide building society, I plan on changing my Bank to the Nationwide for the reasons he has stated, have taken cash before (bit worried about losing, forgetting or being robbed of cash). <huh

Have used TELEX transfers, presently awaiting cash I have transfered from UK to my Thai bank via TELEX transfer to arrive ( getting nervous as I land Friday ). 1luv Think I will go the Nationwide route in future 1luv

Lou. 1luv

:D :lol: Thanks guys for your input, it all helps.

This time next month I will at last be in Bangkok, then on the 31st april its down to Pattaya after a ( I hope) very enjoyable 3 day stay in Bangkok. :beer

Freudian slip here? :lol: Didn't know that April now had 31 days. :lol:

I have used my Nationwide account for my last two trips with travellers cheques

as a backup.I have an e-savings account so i can transfer money from that to

my flexible account online.I dont keep much money in my flexible account while in Thailand just in case, but i have never had any problems.

I took out 10'000 bht last Friday from the ATM in Big C and the online statement

from my account says £137.27 which is not a bad rate.

I would like to thank the members of this board who suggested this method

i used to get very annoyed having to que for money in the heat and they take ages looking at every cheque and signature.

Nok

Get yourself a Nationwide flexaccount put your money in there and draw it out free and at a good rate from ATMs which are everywhere. By far the most hassle free / cost effective method of dispensing your money.

Only way Natiowide Flexacount

No Charge

Good Rate of exchange

Shows on internet banking next day

£ GBP rising against Thai Baht imho we are on way to 100 baht = £1

Got 74.25 baht to £GBP today on street

Hi Guys,

I add my recommendation for the Nationwide flexi account / debit card. Always useful to have threads like this - just in case anything better comes on the market that we can use ...

Clubman, You said -

"£ GBP rising against Thai Baht imho we are on way to 100 baht = £1"

Now, that would be nice. Why do you think that? I'm thinking of locking in some baht at about £ = 75 ish ... that's why I ask.

Cheers,

C

Only way Natiowide Flexacount

No Charge

Good Rate of exchange

Shows on internet banking next day

£ GBP rising against Thai Baht imho we are on way to 100 baht = £1

Got 74.25 baht to £GBP today on street

100 baht to the £ would be very nice, especially for those who are already retired in Thailand or for those planning on doing so in the near future. Somehow, I don't see it happening in the short term.

Alan

I also go with the Flex Account from Nationwide....good value IMHO.

Last trip had to use my Smile Debit Card a couple of times....the difference

between my ordinary bank account and my Flex Account what with

a Visa Charge and crap exchange rate was abot 5%. So my Smile (Co-Op)

Bank shafted me for fifty quid on every thousand withdrawn compared

with the Flex Account.

ps. Don't get the impression I was changing a grand too often...but you

get the drift.

Bill

hi all

been contemplateing wether to open a nationwide flexaccount for some time now and after reading the favourable comments about it here i have gone and opened one this wednesday.hopefully gone are the days of waiting in line to cash a travellers cheque and having to cart your passport around with you.

many thanks to the guys who left useful info.

I used a flexacount last trip after recomendations on here, some people said they checked there statements and got better rates than cash and tc but i think from what i read in my statements you get a bit less but nothing to much still the best way i think.But i took some cash as well just in case a machine swallowed my card and this would take a few days to get back. :beer

I use a Flexaccount and have just checked the rates on my Nationwide statements against the Krung Thai Bank archived rates, for a couple of transactions over a weekend when the rate did not change.

Nationwide conversion rate was 72.649

KTB cash rate was 71.78

KTB telex transfer rate was 72.71875

It looks like Nationwide rates are unbeatable, especially as there are NO charges whatsoever.

The Nationwide flex account atm rate will not be beaten it gives very near the real mid price bank rate along with no fees or commission.

On average you get around 4% (£40/£1000) more baht this way than going the Tc or cash route.

Just remember to take another card and a few hundred quid cash for back up.