Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Just curious. Assume a person in the US retires at the age of 55 and has saved well. He has a pension and collects SS (reduced due to the age, but nevertheless). Say his American dollars equate to $5,000 per month or $60,000 per year (60K X 40Baht = 2,400,000 baht per year). Assume single with no dependents. Is this enough money to live comfortably in Pattaya?

Not only is it enough to live well in Thailand, you can also live rather well in the US.

In Thailand, here is how it breaks down:

Currently, 41 baht/US $

baht/month --- What it's like

20,000 --- Merely the income of a well-compensated Thai. You're scraping the bottom of the barrel. You won't be drinking in bars. You'll have to pretty much settle for Beach Road and over-the-hill girls. No A/C in your room either. (Of course, if you choose to live in the country then your money will go much further.)

40,000 --- Doable, but you'll be watching your budget very carefully. Forget about gogo girls. Beer bar girls 4 or 5 times a month

60,000 --- Now you're living. Gogo girls 4 times a month + 4-5 beer bar girls a month

80,000 --- A nice condo plus can can get laid by whomever and whenever the urge comes upon you

120,000 --- The world's your oyster. Add travel to all the nearby Asian areas

200,000 --- This is US $5,000 This also means that you'll die (with a huge smile) by the time you reach 30 if you spend all this on wine, women, and song

Edited by sabaidii2

You would have a hard time spending 5K each month.

Just curious. Assume a person in the US retires at the age of 55 and has saved well. He has a pension and collects SS (reduced due to the age, but nevertheless). Say his American dollars equate to $5,000 per month or $60,000 per year (60K X 40Baht = 2,400,000 baht per year). Assume single with no dependents. Is this enough money to live comfortably in Pattaya?

As others have said, you'll be able to enjoy a very comfortable life style on US $5,000 per month. In fact, you'll have more spendable income than a very large number of ex-pats living here, myself included and I'm not exactly on the bread line. :banana

I reckon on spending around 80,000/90,000 baht per month of which 20,000 baht is taken up by rent. I should still have sufficient left over to pay for holidays every year or visits to the likes of Chiang Mai etc.

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

Keep in mind that the cost of living is most likely going to be going up faster in Thailand than in the US, especially the cost of female companionship. Also consider the chance that Thailand may change its laws at any time to either make it difficult for you to stay there for long periods or to make it less desirable for you to stay (i.e. by gutting the nightlife industry).

But with $5K a month you should have decent padding, assuming your getting a half-decent rate of return on the non SS part of your money. The worst case is that you have to come back to the US with that money, which isn't bad for a worst case.

when on holiday I normally spend about 100 dollars per day - give or take - so for one month that is $3,000...and that is out partying every night, buying souveniers, clothes, etc, hotel, transportation and whatever else...so for $60K per year...you would be "Living Large" - since you would not be going out and partying like crazy like you would on a 2 or 3 week vacation...maybe for the first month or so...and then I think it would taper off.

• 5 weeks later...
200K Bahts per month here in LOS and I think I would have died and gone to heaven. Yea I think I could manage :chogdee2

Same here. :finger

I'm coming to the end of my first full calendar month of living in my condo and my costs for the month look like being a tad under 70,000 baht. That includes taking a girl home on average once every 3 nights.

Alan

My 3 month total all included 65,865 Baht and don't feel I have missed out on any thing as it has been said some guys can do it on 20,000 and others can't get by on less that 70/80,000 What ever works.

I am coming to Pattaya on the 26th October to 13th November for 17 nights. I want to keep the same lady for the entire time (short times without her knowing) I'm planning on having between 150,000-200,000 baht. Would this be enough?

15,000 Hotel

20,000 Lady

10,000 Gold for Lady

115,000-155,000 remaining?

:banana :bj2

Not only is it enough to live well in Thailand, you can also live rather well in the US.

In Thailand, here is how it breaks down:

Currently, 41 baht/US $

baht/month --- What it's like

20,000 --- Merely the income of a well-compensated Thai. You're scraping the bottom of the barrel. You won't be drinking in bars. You'll have to pretty much settle for Beach Road and over-the-hill girls. No A/C in your room either. (Of course, if you choose to live in the country then your money will go much further.)

40,000 --- Doable, but you'll be watching your budget very carefully. Forget about gogo girls. Beer bar girls 4 or 5 times a month

60,000 --- Now you're living. Gogo girls 4 times a month + 4-5 beer bar girls a month

80,000 --- A nice condo plus can can get laid by whomever and whenever the urge comes upon you

120,000 --- The world's your oyster. Add travel to all the nearby Asian areas

200,000 --- This is US $5,000 This also means that you'll die (with a huge smile) by the time you reach 30 if you spend all this on wine, women, and song

60,000 a month now you are living. I think you are dreaming

Are you kidding mate?

thats a bit like paying 20 Aussi dollars for a small beer , every time, every day .

Unless you are completely stupid, there is no way you will spend that much in such a short time .

On the other hand, if you need help in spending it, I'm willing to show you around town for a beer .

We cant say on here ,but some places are MUCH better than others .

Seriously mate , don't let your girl fleece you and you will have no problems, but DONT let her near the shops too often!

20,000 bt for gold ???

oh yea.. gold... maybe a brand new car and a house

Gabor,

Only Gold wish I could have bought her a house but I had to stop at the Gold due to lack of funds .... but you know come to think of it I guess I did buy her the motorbike but it wont go up in Value like the gold. :rolleyes:

S7

• 2 weeks later...

Reminds me of a true story told to me by a good friend who has lived in Pattaya over 15 years.

Farang man comes to Pattaya, meets bar girl, keeps her with him, falls in love. (OK, read infatuation if u want).

One morning at hotel lady is leaving to go back to her room for change of clothes etc. Asks man for 100bht for taxi. (Don't they always, when a baht bus is 5bht!)

100bht? 100bht? for a taxi he says. Gets dressed, drags her off to motorbike shop & buys her a NEW motorbike. I forget the actual cost, but it may have been 42,000bht?

Few days later, farang gets on aeroplane & goes home.

Within the week, said lady happens to see my friend. They know each other quite well, though rarely see one another. She tells my friend Micky the story.

Micky says "Oh so you have new motorbike now?" She say, "No, same same motorbike before." Micky looks puzzled. "I have motorbike already, so I take new motorbike back to shop, get 38,000bht".