Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie heading to Pattaya for my first time in the off season.

I've been checking the archives for recent reviews of any of the Sawasdee chain Hotels, Diana Hotel, and Nautical Inn. They all seem lower than 700/night.

For online booking, what is the best site for that?

I've been checking www.atsiam.com and the hotels directly but that seems higher than atsiam.com

Can anyone please tell me what is the current daily/weekly rates for an early September arrival for these * level hotels? I'm guessing about 500/night or less for the week and all seem guest friendly.

Thank you very much and all drinks will come to you for good advice at FLB! Count me in for the party as well :angry:

How long are you staying? Some hotels have a daily, weekly and monthly rate. Others only publish a daily rate and if you don't ask them about what they will charge you for "X" length of stay they are more than happy to collect the daily rate. When your asking about a longer stay rate you need to be talking to the manager.

For an early September arrival I wouldn't worry about using an online booking service as there will be plenty of vacancies in town.

Edited by Emil

Since this is your first trip, I would suggest staying at hotels that are owned by guys from England and Oz. You can get some good info from these guys. They are all less then 700 per night. Do a google on Pig & Whistle, Queen Victoria Inn and Sky-Top. All good places, excellent location.

Pig & Whistle, Queen Victoria Inn and Sky-Top. These are all very fine hotels if you like pollution & street noise. They are all 1 or 2 story buildings over bars in some cases that would be avoidable unless you enjoy the sensation of smog on your lungs.

I guess I'm just pro Naklua because the bus runs in both directions on Naklua Road. The beaches are quiet and clean. The restaurants on the North end of Naklua Rd. are Thai only which brings the prices down and makes for a "purer" (for lack of better word) atmosphere.

All to say, I'm advising newbies not to stay at Pig & Whistle, Queen Victoria Inn and Sky-Top unless being in the thick is what they always wanted after flying 20 hours...

What hotels do you like up that way? It's always good to have a wider selection of cheap hotels?

I never stayed in any Naklua hotels as I had a condo only.

However, there are many along the beach that seem very swanky and expensive. Many Russian tourists proliferate the area. I've seen a few small packs of attractive Russian women walking by my condo.

On my next trip, I'm staying near Soi Day/Night for a little change. 12,000 baht per month which is do-able.

I never stayed in any Naklua hotels as I had a condo only.

However, there are many along the beach that seem very swanky and expensive. Many Russian tourists proliferate the area. I've seen a few small packs of attractive Russian women walking by my condo.

On my next trip, I'm staying near Soi Day/Night for a little change. 12,000 baht per month which is do-able.

The guy asks for some hotels under 700 baht. You tell him your pro Naklua without any recommendations only that they are swanky and expensive.

The Soi Day/Night area has alot gay activity there, is that the change your referring to?

I'm staying at Day/Night hotel for 6 months. I know there's a few gay bars similar to Jomtien. They don't bother me and I don't bother them. It's good that you brought that up because a newbie might feel uncomfortable about that. I like that I can walk to Walking Street from there or jog up the hill or to the beach.

Naklua is great but unless you're on Naklua Road, you need a vehicle.

morrisf brings up a good point about some hotels are two and three stories high. I think the tallest in the hotel district is 16 stories tall. Pig & Whistle is 5, Queen Vic is 3 and Sky-Top is 4 give or take 1. You will have street noise and smells of food carts till 2AM plus. Sabai Inn has less noise and another good place to stay.

of the 3 swatdee properties there is only one that I would stay in and that's the one on Soi Buckow and that's only marginal, the other two are just dumps.

several marginal proerties I would recommend in the Soi Honey Inn/ Soi Dianna, but not for a cherryboy.

1st trip if your not with a "guide" stick to the "beatten path", look at Soi2/3- Sabii or Welcome Inn or Soi 7/8, Flipper or Eaststy or Soi 13 Lek or AA Residency.

my personnal recommondation for a newbie would be the Lek Old part for about 800baht a night. in room safe, guest friendly, right in the middle of the action and a very nice breakfeast/lunch and supper buffet in case your not real good at the local resturants yet.

from here you can branch out and explore.

cheers

rb

morrisf brings up a good point about some hotels are two and three stories high. I think the tallest in the hotel district is 16 stories tall.

The Markland (Beach Rd/Soi 1) is a decent enough hotel and is 27 floors high. Even if you don't stay there the Sky restaurant is worth a visit.

It all depends what you want,pool,restauraunt,location etc.As you are going in september it's still off season so many hotels have 'deals' on.Flipper house on soi7(5 mins from the beach) have a stay 14 nights pay for 10 deal,which works out at less than 600 baht a night for an IMHO good hotel in a good location with a nice rooftop swimming pool.I've stayed there many times(off season) and got a good deal.It's sister hotel Flipper lodge also does similar deals.Lower down the scale Bliss mansion on soi Diana is B450 per night(no pool or restaurant).Good clean rooms though and a good location(near the centre of the action).I have stayed there on my last few visits.It also has a sister hotel called The carlton which was doing 'off season' deals for B500.The Carlton is more towards soi six (opposite alcazar).It has a fairly good pool(which you can use if your a Bliss resident) and Restaurant.I've stayed at sawasdee mansion on soi buakoaw/soi honey(nice pool,restaraunt) and they were also doing deals 3 nights for 2 with american breakfast thrown in.There are many hotels in the soi buakoaw/Diana/honey area.Bay breeze,Honey inn,intown holiday inn,sawasdee are all down soi Honey,expect to pay around B500-B550 for these places.But it may well still be a buyers market in september so haggle for a deal.I'd advise to book your hotel personaly by E-mail and not through a third party,the price by dealing direct is obviously going to be cheaper.

Just book anywhere for the first coule of nights. In September there is no problem in finding rooms. Have a look around, and settle on one you like. Not a problem!

Little Roy :chogdee

If somebody looks for cheap hotels I recommend the Intown Holiday in Soi Honey (same as Bay Breeze). In low season between 450 and 550 B/night. Reservations by mail at info@intownholiday.co.th, give them a couple of days to reply, they are not the fastest. Try always to get a room to the back side (Soi 10) where you will not have any noise at all.

Bay breeze,Honey inn,intown holiday inn,sawasdee are all down soi Honey,expect to pay around B500-B550 for these places

Hi

Solid advice for a newbie.