Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

What is the most effective fighting technique?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having thought about this topic for a while now I am of the opinion that the best fighting technique bar none is ,hit the opposition on the back of the head with a 2x4 when they are not looking ,any other kind of fight will result in pain to all parties no matter who wins.

PS if guns are involved then shoot first and make sure your aim is good.

First punch 'nearly' always wins.

That never worked on me. I got slammed in the head outside a bar when I was a Junior in College. Long story but the guy was substantially bigger than me and his punch actually punctured my ear drum. I wound up knocking him down, and had the police not arrived after which I was pulled off him, he would have been seriously injured. Second time it happened was in a country bar in Central Illinois. The guy got the first punch, a surprise punch in, and I knocked him down. Third time that happened, the bouncer of a titty bar threw me up against a door and punched me solidly in the face. In short order he wound up on the floor after I knocked him down and it took three guys to pull me off of him. He lost three teeth on that floor.

Aside from fighting with the gloves on and quite a few fights in grade school, Junior High and High School that's it as an adult. But the funny thing is, even though I had trained on speed bags and the like and did a fair amount of amateur sparing, when I was in a real fight I would lose all memory of actually knocking the other guy down. I'd just go berserk and pretty much forget about all the nuances of the boxing skills I had picked up and the whole thing would be over in three to fifteen seconds or so. Later I'd ask everyone, how did that guy wind up on the floor? Did he slip?

Later I'd ask everyone, how did that guy wind up on the floor? Did he slip?

The old 'red mist' :bigsmile:

I occasionally used to suffer from that too, lol

Funny too isn't it, the way that you never really feel the 'pain' from the hit's the other guy may have gotten in, until the next morning :)

Not so sure about that one either, Casper. Right after that fight in college I had a lot of pain in my hand and my knuckles were scraped raw, but man, that felt so good. My ears were ringing too and I had pain in my head, but I went to a nearby bar with some friends and reveled over what I had done to the other guy. The young man was a complete ass and so were his buddies and it just felt so good after destroying him. as I started to feel the pain in various places of my body. Key word here is after.

There is always a defence, the best defence is 'not being there' ...... someone fast on his feet will always defend against someone fast with their hands.

Plus, faster punches equates to less power ........... i'm a member of the 'one good punch' school of thinking.

Wing Chun (or Ving Tsun) are without doubt the most effective fighting style as there is no defense to it's attacks.

BS. There are a lot of holes that can be countered or defended in this martial art. Any style that teaches high kicks can be defended against of countered.

Though some so-called Wing Chun teachers are under the impression that high kicks are part of the style, this is not the case, as it's too risky and Wing Chun/Ving Chun and especially WingTsun - IMHO the very best there is - doesn't take risks. Against a very proficient exponent you lose with mathematical certainty, it's diabolically intelligent and unbelievably destructive. The human mind applied over centuries to inflicting damage to the human body while avoidíng damage to yourself - if a fight is unavoidable. The very worst opponent one can otherwise have is a good wrestler - he has learned to live with pain and will take your best shots (IF you're quick enough) as he takes you to the ground - and that's your lot.

Being fleet of foot is great - presence of mind is not as good as absence of body - but what if a loved one is under attack and needs help. Duh...

Though some so-called Wing Chun teachers are under the impression that high kicks are part of the style, this is not the case, as it's too risky and Wing Chun/Ving Chun and especially WingTsun - IMHO the very best there is - doesn't take risks. Against a very proficient exponent you lose with mathematical certainty, it's diabolically intelligent and unbelievably destructive. The human mind applied over centuries to inflicting damage to the human body while avoidíng damage to yourself - if a fight is unavoidable. The very worst opponent one can otherwise have is a good wrestler - he has learned to live with pain and will take your best shots (IF you're quick enough) as he takes you to the ground - and that's your lot.

Being fleet of foot is great - presence of mind is not as good as absence of body - but what if a loved one is under attack and needs help. Duh...

But you are giving the impression that you are liable to be attacked (or your loved one is) by an exponant of Martial Arts or a wrestler. Duh...

In my, fairly extensive, experience I have never seen anyone attacked by a martial artist ..... I have, however, seen many many martial artists defend themselves or their loved ones.

Just about every 'fight' i have ever seen has involved alcohol to some degree. The person who, in my opinion, caused the fight is generally a simple 'bully' who is used to using his mouth or physical size to intimidate others.

It works most of the time, however, I'm pleased to say that occasionally they come up against some people who are prepared and capable of making a stand.

In my, fairly extensive, experience I have never seen anyone attacked by a martial artist ..... I have, however, seen many many martial artists defend themselves or their loved ones.

Point, game, match.

Martial artists fight seriously in competition or self-defence. And why would a violent person go to the trouble of learning martial arts when he can just carry a baseball bat or, much easier still, a gun?

"Gimme your money, man, or I'll snap kick." Yeah, very effective for a mugger.

Good thread this, with some good answers from BMs who've obviously 'been there'. The OP asked what the most effective fighting technique is. Too general a question really - I read this to mean unarmed, highly skilled people from different styles competing for real, with no rules, not what's best against an untrained bully on a Saturday evening. The latter would rightly produce totally different answers (as it has), and at the realistic, day-to-day level. Of course it goes against the entire ethos of the martial arts to attack others without a pressing reason, though it happens.

As has already been said, in the end two men and not two styles are in the fight, which brings in the variables whatever the skill level: range, state of mind, physical condition and fighting spirit (what we English call 'bottle'). I think most people who know would agree that two thirds of a fight is won or lost in the mind. Whatever the scenario I still go for WingTsun. The BM who claimed that feet are faster than hands (did I read that right?) is plain wrong for physical/distance reasons alone - WingTsun people can deliver 10-12 effective and accurate punches per second even at student level. There are defences that stop this sub-machine gun from opening up, but they're only taught at very advanced level. If you are not trained in them, you have no chance of staying in the fight for more than a few seconds.

Good thread this, with some good answers from BMs who've obviously 'been there'. The OP asked what the most effective fighting technique is. Too general a question really - I read this to mean unarmed, highly skilled people from different styles competing for real, with no rules, not what's best against an untrained bully on a Saturday evening.

You were the one who introduced the 'protecting loved ones' scenario.

Additionally, as you rightly say the approach you would take and how you would react depends on who you were fighting. However, you mention the word 'competition' this again creates an unrealistic scenario.

In a 'one on one, full contact' competition there are still some attacks that you cannot do. No limb breaking, headbuts, throat attacks, groin attacks and many more.

In the 'real world' where I feel 'threatened' I will do everything I can to eliminate the 'threat' in as short a time as possible. If someone falls, I do not want them to get up again and will use any weapon or method in my arsenal to ensure this does not happen.

I take it though that you are talking about a 'fair' fight between two exponants of differing martial arts. This question is as old as the martial arts themselves.

All I can say is, that in my opinion, there really is no 'perfect' martial art and no 'un-defendable' attack.

Whilst I 'prefer' Shotokan Karate to all other martial arts that I have trained in, it's far from perfect and (as i've said) all I have actually gained from the training (12 years) is balance, confidence and the knowledge of 'how to form a punch'.

I'm also trained in Ninjitsu (though to no real level), this is why I believe the best defence is 'not being there'. On one occasion our instructor asked the 3 of us (all black belts in other styles) to attack him. We all, never landed a puch or kick. Impressive.

I've also trained in Eskrima and Kali and you mention speed, I have never seen such a torrent of attacks as those made by a practioner of these styles.

No I can't pick out one martial art as being the 'Best' or most effective ...... however, I can tell which, in my opinion, is the worst ....... Tae Kwon Do!!

Great comments..Thanks guys! Don't want to be argumentative but the comment "WingTsun people can deliver 10-12 effective and accurate punches per second" is nonsense. Bruce Lee, the founder of Wing Chun is my hero, and after 25 years of practicing martial arts, participating in competitions, and attending demonstrations, 10-12 punches per second by a human being is a little exaggerated. 4 or 5 sounds more realistic.

Anyway...For me the perfect Martial Art was Traditional Shotokan. If you want to talk about who would win in a fight, I would agree that there is no perfect style. But I believe that a martial art that matches your abilities and meets your needs is in fact perfect...for you.

Since my teenage years I had been practicing different styles of martial arts because I grew up in a situation where I was forced to defend myself on frequent occasions. I stopped for about 10 years and then as an adult went back to the study of karate but this time for different reasons. I now had the belief in Zen, and understood the reality of Yin/Yang. My next 15-years was spent studying Traditional Shotokan Karate. Not just the fighting techniques but the history and philosophy of Shotokan as well as Martial Arts in general. My first black belt helped me realize how little I really understood about Budo and about using the potential that I possessed. Four years later I felt ready for my second black belt and finally understood what was invovled to become a true Martial Artist. Most people, even those with a black belt, have no idea what martial arts are all about.

My job has put me in some very dangerous conflictual situations and I believe that my expertise and spiritual understanding of the martial arts have allowed me to stay calm and in control of the situation. As a result, I have been able to avoid most physical combat and have come out on top in those cases where physical combat could not be avoided.

So...although I agree that there are some martial arts that are better than others, winning or losing a battle will not be determined by the style but rather by which of the two pugilists have truly mastered their method.

Suitcase

So what do we do about someone like Leo?

Leo used to be the bouncer at the Platinum Club in East St. Louis. Once, the General Manager, asked me to go over to Leo's house to shoot a video of him working out because he was interested in helping Leo get a little exposure that might help him get into professional fighting---perhaps "Professional wrestling" of some form or another. So I went over to Leo's house in St. Louis with my Nikon D-1 X and a video camera and got some shots of Leo with his family (They were all from Yugoslavia). They had an external two car garage that they had converted to a full scale exercise room with the weights, the heavy bag, the speed bags, and other styles of striking bags. Anyway, as I videoed Leo he lifted a few weights before moving onto the heavy bag and other striking bags. He'd hit the heavy bag with his fists and then he'd throw punches at it with his feet showing he was a good boxer and had been also trained in some martial arts.

Well here's he thing about Leo. He weighed 375 pounds and he was six foot seven. And for a big man he was pretty quick. So I then put the punching gloves on and did a little sparring with Leo while his father shot some video of us. I got a couple jabs in on him and then he simply moved in on me, backing me up against the garage door within a few seconds. He was so big I couldn't move around him and I couldn't get to his chin very well either. He was just this huge colossus that I couldn't escape from and that I couldn't imagine stopping no matter what I'd do. Thankfully we were only playing. But let me tell you, sparring with Leo was about like trying to fight a King Kong that had been trained proficiently in the martial arts.

"If it has balls, breathes and bleeds, it can be beat" ...... don't reckon i'd fancy taking it on though.

Which brings me to my second favourite quote ........ "there's only two ways to approach a fight, either avoid it or fight hard"

I have always been told the best technique is the one that allows you to come out alive and on top. I believe my grandfather told me that when I was only 7 or 8. It was followed by do what ever it takes to win. There is no such thing as a fair fight.

I don't believe in fighting if it can be avoided. But I have never lost a fight when pushed to the limit, even when I was out numbered. I am no fool though, any day of the week I know someone could take me down.