Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Free Seat Class Upgrades??

My mummy says............

It's possible to get upgrades for free - say economy to business class - if the business class has not sold out.

My mum is urging me to ask at check in. However, I don't want to appear a complete fool!

Is this possible, in the right circumstances?

I've had it happen, but only once and it wasn't even my idea. I was on a business trip to Paris about a year and a half ago. When I checked in w/ Air France at Logan Airport in Boston, they upgraded me to business class without me even thinking to ask. It was a fairly expensive coach ticket (a little over US$2500), so I think that may have been close enough to the price of business class, and since it was only about 2/3 full, they may have figured "why not?".

Edited by Mescalito

A few years ago friend I had come over had had two back operations and been hit by a piece of the WTC when it fell.

We flew Cathay Pacific to Bangkkok. I asked for him at JFK for upgrade (him only), we were flying econ. After arriving Hong Kong, we both got upgraded to business class.

Can't hurt to ask. I get upgraded in hotels to exec level sometimes on business just by requesting.

Hub

I have had it happen 3 time, all with British Airways to and from Canada(YVR) and London. It never hurts to ask, they can only say no at the worst.

Your best chance will come if they are over booked in economy, say afetr a major seat sale.

As a former passengeragent I can inform you that Economy class in most airlines are deliberately overbooked in order to sell more tickets, as business class is rarely full. Often is it up to the staff in the gate, not checkin-staff, to find "volunteers" for upgrades, normally based on frequent flyer status, but sometimes just random passengers are selected. In my case I happended to upgrade good looking girls farely often, which surely wont help any on this board, Im afraid. :nod But asking surely hurts noone.

Marshall

I checked in very late for a flight back to Heathrow (after a road traffic accident) and asked at check in for an aisle seat but was politely informed there were none left (fair enough)

Being travel wise when I got to final gate asked the girl to check my ticket as I had asked for an aisle seat but "apparently" had been given seat in the middle (acting a little naive)

Could see she was checking the computer to switch the seat but as at check in nothing available but she wasn't going to lose face and tell me.

Finally came over to me and gave me a boarding card for business instead !

Dress smartly (no shirts hanging out !!) and you can get lucky.

united has a policy of not upgrading unless you bought full fare coach, or are a premier member on a pricy ticket, or they need to becuase there not enough seat left in coach.

2 times last year I was traveling on short notice and wound up paying 12-13 hundred for my ticket. I was upgraded to Biz on the sfo-nrt leg both ways one trip and from nrt to sfo the other.

It is hard to catch a free upgrade from NRT to BKK becuase to many japanese are buying biz class seats that biz gets full.

I did have one nice upgrade on the nrt to bkk on another trip 2 years ago. someone else took my assigned window seat and refused to move. (they were suppose to middle seat in another row.) The stew came over and asked me to come to the front of the cabin. she called out to the gate and then moved someone from biz to first class and put me in biz, then went back to deal with the guy in my original seat.

worked out good for at least 2 of us. Should have seen the guy face in biz. I was with the stew when she asked if he would mind moving. he asked where and she said could you accomadate us by moving to a first class seat?? when it sunk in he looked like he just died and gone to heaven. :sh :clap2

BTW I have almost 500k lifetime miles with united and it shows in my record. I think this helps in getting upgraded.

Edited by cowboy

Different Airlines have different policies and different airline employee's have different attitudes or authority.

Also clearly, the person requesting the upgrade needs to be of suitable standard as Marshall explained in his piece.

On long haul I need a biz class seat so I pay the (discounted) fare and while I am sat in my regular seat near the door, it is incredible how many passengers approach the purser (who is usually standing near my seat during boarding) to discreetly request a free upgrade. The Purser then either explains that the biz class cabin is full or yes that is possible for a further payment :lol:

As I understand (on most airlines) every biz class seat which is occupied has to be accounted for in view of the much higher cost of food, drink & service, therefore before a free upgrade is awarded, the circumstances need to be exceptional.

As an example, during my January flight from Amsterdam to Bangkok via China Airlines there were 12 of us in the downstairs biz class cabin(26 empty seats) Half way into the flight I walked thru the Economy class to the tail of the aircraft and people were hanging from the rafters eating pot noodles with screaming children sat on their parents laps.

How happy i was to return to my smoked salmon sandwich & a glass of Champagne whilst relaxing on a sofa bed :thumbup

You should bear in mind that airlines make their money from premium passengers and freight, not Joe Bloggs who has scratched around for the cheapest of the cheap tickets in economy so most decent airlines will only upgrade full economy fare passengers or folk that have attained the higher levels of their frequent flyer programme. I do know that on Singapore, for example, even the station manager at Manchester cannot authorise upgrades without reference to the company.

In my experience the theory about all airlines heavily overbooking economy is more applicable to short-haul business routes rather than long-haul leisure routes (which LON-BKK is) where the number of "no-shows" is considerably less.

It's also worth noting that the airline would normally need to have no-shows in Biz class before they upgrade anyone as the quantity of meals delivered to the aircraft is quite tightly controlled nowadays.

It's also worth noting that the airline would normally need to have no-shows in Biz class before they upgrade anyone as the quantity of meals delivered to the aircraft is quite tightly controlled nowadays.

Tom

Would that be the reason why, when I recently upgraded to Business Class, they told me that I was getting the only available seat upgrade but when I got on the plane I counted 19 empty seats? :allright

I always ask for the upgrade and I've had the most luck with BA. Couple of trips ago as a premier executive level member with UA, I was upgraded to business on the NRT-BKK leg. I gave it to my wife :thumbup . BTW, I always fly on the cheapest of the cheap ticket. Ya, I'm a cheap Charley with the airlines also. :D

Another time with UA on the BKK-NRT leg they assigned one seat to two of us. The other guy was in the seat first. He had a big shit eating smile when I talked to him about it. I go to the FA and they upgrade me to business. When I walked by him, I stop and smile :D and continue with the FA up front.

Edited by BigDUSA
Often is it up to the staff in the gate, not checkin-staff, to find "volunteers" for upgrades, normally based on frequent flyer status, but sometimes just random passengers are selected.

:clueless

About four years ago me and my uncle were upgraded on china airlines,we checked in late and asked for two seats together,the girl on checkin told us that two seats together was not available.

She was chatting to someone on a two way radio for about 5 mins maybe talking to someone at the gate trying to aouthorize an upgrade,my uncle had been using china twice a year for about 7 years so maybe upgraded as he was a ff.

I remember a documentary on the bbc a few years back called heathrow i think, which showed the ins and outs of heathrow airport.

One of the staff a gay chap called jeremy who worked for aeroflot, he became a celebrity for 5 mins in the uk and wrote a book of the back of the documentary.

He said on the documentary that airlines always over book economy class expecting no shows either people who missed flight or cancelled last minute due to numerous reasons like a death in the family etc.He would stand at check in and look for reasonably well dressed passengers or frequent flyers to upgrade,he said people with shorts or footie tops or skin heads lol would not be getting an upgrade,so maybe we got an upgrade as we booked in late and economy was full.

As an example, during my January flight from Amsterdam to Bangkok via China Airlines there were 12 of us in the downstairs biz class cabin(26 empty seats) Half way into the flight I walked thru the Economy class to the tail of the aircraft and people were hanging from the rafters eating pot noodles with screaming children sat on their parents laps.

How happy i was to return to my smoked salmon sandwich & a glass of Champagne whilst relaxing on a sofa bed :cry1

OMG is it really taht bad? I aint flown longhaul in 6 years, and Im doing the AMS-BKK with China Airlines next thursday... I cant decide where I should ask to be seated... I cannot handle a screaming baby near me...

shouldve gone for Biz :sorry

Tom

Would that be the reason why, when I recently upgraded to Business Class, they told me that I was getting the only available seat upgrade but when I got on the plane I counted 19 empty seats? :cry1

monkeyman,

I would imagine so ...... there is quite a lot of accounting for all sorts of items to be done by the FAs ...... meals are one but the amenity packs, better quality earphones, pyjamas, blankets etc all need to be accounted for and justified.

I'm not too sure about the need to wear a suit or even a shirt and tie to be upgraded. I pay (or use miles) to travel in biz class and normally wear a rugby shirt, jeans and trainers. It seems pretty silly trying to sleep in one of the advertised, lie-flat seats if you are worrying about the state of your shirts and slacks IMHO.

Tom

Guest Fatboyfat
How happy i was to return to my smoked salmon sandwich & a glass of Champagne whilst relaxing on a sofa bed :cry1

Since when have China Air had Sofa Beds in Biz class on the Amsterdam - BKK flight. :sorry :lol:

I've been avoiding them for that very reason (ie no flat-bed in Biz). :cry2

Since when have China Air had Sofa Beds in Biz class on the Amsterdam - BKK flight. :sorry :lol:

I've been avoiding them for that very reason (ie no flat-bed in Biz). :cry2

You are right Fatboyfat :cry1 Slight exaggeration on my part.

Although they have now upgraded to much nicer biz class seats with even more leg room & wrap around head rests.

hi

had many upgrades from encon to bus class to bkk and manchester with qatar

from manchester they tend to over sell seat in econ and if you have a silver or gold fly program card with a econ ticket and there is space up front they upgrade you for free and resell your econ seat.

Last time I was in BIZ class on singapore air from HKG-SFO I had a very nice lie flat seat/bed. Much nicer than United. Best thing about United FF miles earn them on united use them on Singapore. :ang2

I have been upgraded about 5+ times on Thai now - all returning to Europe and never out.

When going out I use my airmiles or the vouchers we received two years ago or birthday upgrades for Gold Card members.

I was upgraded once on a Silver Thai ROP card but I think that was exceptional due to Thai offloading many passengers on the Saturday flights to get a Thai sports team to Europe - I flew on the Monday and they were still playing catch-up so putting the higher tier members up a grade to release economy seats for the delayed.

The Gold Card upgrades are different and they seem to ask the supervisor a lot more often.

As an example in my last 4 flights

September 05 - upgraded to Biz as I was missing my connecting flight in Europe due to a 45 minute delay - the upgrade was to say sorry

Nov 05 - no upgrade and nothing said

Jan 06 - no aisle seat so check in staff asked supervisor but last seat in Biz gone - I smiled and thanked her for trying

Mar 06 - I asked if I could pay for an upgrade and she said , "No need to go to ticket office I will upgrade you here"

I have had pretty good luck with upgrades and what with airmiles, vouchers and re-newing Gold I am in Biz quite a bit but I might just be coming to an end of Gold status in Sept 08 after the next 2 year renewal.

As for all the other tips I have heard nobody has convinced me yet they have worked - the only other guy I know who it works for a lot is an Embassy guy with a Diplomatic passport and up from Biz to First

The highest level loyalty card is the best according to all the sources I have read.

Hi,

I have been upgraded a couple of times on Emirates, but apparently this is not unusual. If you look on some of the airline forums you will see full fare business class passengers complaining about the number of economy people being upgraded.

I have found that being well dressed and polite at check in really does help - if you get your boarding pass and find SFU written on it you may be in luck as this means Suitable for Upgrade and will be used by gate staff if they are looking for passengers to upgrade.

I have to say the journey from London to BKK and back is a whole lot better in business.

Best of luck with the upgrades guys.

Trotski

• 2 weeks later...
I have been upgraded about 5+ times on Thai now - all returning to Europe and never out.

The problem with going from your country to Thailand is that most intl airlines that only have one flight a day will use agents to man their checkin counters for their flight. In the case of Auckland, Thai use Air New Zealand counter staff so you are right that there is no chance in getting a upgrade out.

On one of my very first mongering trips from Auckland to HongKong, Cathay had over booked a newyears flight by about 30-35 people even though I had booked and paid six months prior.

As compensation Cathay upgraded us all to business on tomorrows flight, gave us $600 cash compensation and for pax out of Auckland a further $200 overnight hotel allowance.

Edited by Floyd
  • 1 year later...
My mummy says............

It's possible to get upgrades for free - say economy to business class - if the business class has not sold out.

My mum is urging me to ask at check in. However, I don't want to appear a complete fool!

Is this possible, in the right circumstances?

Your Mummy is quite right Ben (isn't she always?)

As mentioned, Airlines do attempt to oversell the coach tickets by upto 125% this could mean that more passengers turn up than they have space for.

Business and / or First Class is seldom over booked or even filled.

My advice is to put your best 'sunday' clothes on and speak politely to the staff at the desk .... you never know you and 'teddy' could be living it up at the front of the plane on your next flight.

united has a policy of not upgrading unless you bought full fare coach, or are a premier member on a pricy ticket, or they need to becuase there not enough seat left in coach.

I haven't a clue about United's policy, but I can tell you for a personally documented fact on four occasions in the past three years that the above is not United's actions.

The last time was a weird one -- they asked me if I would be nice enough to take a different routing, which left earlier, landed at the destination earlier and took longer in the air, and if I was nice enough to agree to land earlier they would upgrade me, and not just one class, either. I was travelling alone and they needed one seat.

For a few minutes I was a really nice guy, heh.