Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

I had the misfortune to return on Thai Air a few weeks ago. I had avoided Thai for some years due to the rapidly declining service but could not believe that it had actually got worse.

How any airline can expect you to travel in this day and age for 11 hours with still only the one big screen entertainment system is beyond me. ALL their competitiros now offer personal entertainment and some like EVA even offer the latest interactive versions - it was like flying Bedrock Air.

In addition, getting service and drinks outside the trolley runs was a nightmare.

I remember when Thai was regarded as a premium airline but it has just fallen so far behind the other direct carriers now I can't beleive anyone would actually CHOOSE to fly them anymore.

I hold TGs gold card since 5 years and agree with you. Economy class is hopeless, premium economy before was OK but starts to be lower and lower, even the biz isn't worth to mention anymore. Combined with old airplanes I think about changing airline to Singapore Airlines.

Still there're many satisfied customers

AIRLINE OF THE YEAR 2006

Rank

Airline

British Airways

5th

Qantas Airways

2nd

Cathay Pacific

1st

Thai Airways

7th

Emirates

3rd

Qatar Airways

8th

Singapore Airlines

4th

A N A

10th

Malaysia Airlines

6th

China Airlines

16th

"Contrasting with the higher support for British Airways from their premium customers, the final rankings for Cathay Pacific, Thai Airways and Emirates were much more influenced by nominations from their Economy class customers. "

"Thai Airways enjoyed further success in the Awards, being named as Worlds Best Cabin Staff for 2006."

Source

Well, I can choose between Thai Air and Sri Lankan Air, and each of them only fly to BKK 3 times a week. So I pick one that flies on the days I can travel. :bigsmile:

One thing that bugs me with Thai air is that when they land in Colombo, the bug spray the entire cabin. So not only is the service shite, the also poison you. :bigsmile:

On the other hand, I was treated noticely better than the rest of the passengers, who where all Sri Lankans (your "indian tailors"). Anyway, for new years they are offering the cheapest tickets off this fucked up island so Thai Air it is, but its only a 3 hour flight to BKK so I guess I will survive. Besides, I got firt class training with shitty air lines flying SAS in Norway all my life. Thai Air is excellent compared to them, and the air hostesses are far better looking than the old hags emplyed by the SAS :bigsmile:

The planes aren't all old. My flight from JFK to Bangkok was on one of the new Airbus planes. A 17 hour flight in economy, but not too bad. Each seat had its own movie screen, and there were plenty of channels for movies, tv, music. The food was decent. One thing, though, the service seems to have declined since the last time I flew Thai air, in 2000.

Rex

Same as above for me. There "newer" planes are exceptional. I only fly them because they do a 17-hour NS from JFK. Otherwise, I would probably pick Cathay or China. The service on Thai was adequate in economy. No problem going back to the gallely for snacks whenever I wanted. Food was average.

I have flown with thai 5 out of 6 times going to Thailand. The first time I flew with emirates. I rate emirates as a better service but fly with Thai because I cant be arsed with stopovers in other countries. I just want to get to LOS in the quickest time possible.

Departure city= Los angeles california

trip count= 21

airlines= china, united, eva, thai

thai air count = 15

for me, i prefer thai air

i fly economy, prem economy and biz class

thai economy much better in my experiance than the others

you DO need to get the right seat

prem economy= a little better food and much better seat

biz class= new aircraft has seat that gives me a full lie down

I normally fly Thai from uk to los. I dont think their service is any better than most other "decent" airlines. The main reason I fly with them is because they are one of only 4 airlines which fly non-stop to los! Last but one time I went with eva in the new 777s. That time I flew elite, but I would rather go economy with eva than thai,based purely on their entertainment! I will go with thai next March, cos we will have enough miles to come back business, using the Thai frequent flyers program!

Departure city= Los angeles california

trip count= 21

airlines= china, united, eva, thai

thai air count = 15

for me, i prefer thai air

I was curious why you have never tried Cathay Pacific with so many LAX departures. I was considering Cathay from LAX or Singapore from SFO for my next trip.

Regards

Edited by SoCalGuy

with the bargains on airline tickets most airlines reduced their service.

I used Cathay a few months ago and it sucked too,good planes but narrow seats and hardly place to move your legs.

I prefer EVA and China airlines over all others including KLM,at least they give a good service.

Thai have recently started taking delivery of a bunch of brand new 777 ER's. Not sure about US or UK routes but they are currently using some of them on the Bankok/Melbourne route . They are very nicely laid out, with TV screens in seats and all the usual up to date mod cons in Economy. Be aware though that they still have some of thier other (older) 777's around which have very little in the way of inflight entertainment.

I have flown with thai 5 out of 6 times going to Thailand. The first time I flew with emirates. I rate emirates as a better service but fly with Thai because I cant be arsed with stopovers in other countries. I just want to get to LOS in the quickest time possible.

Meatball - then why not fly BA, Qantas or EVA - all are direct, all have personal screens (EVA has interactive), all have better seats, better food, better service, better hostesses.

I should have pointed out I was only referring to the UK-LOS service where they still use (very) old 747's with the one large single screen.

Edited by whitespider
Meatball - then why not fly BA, Qantas or EVA - all are direct, all have personal screens (EVA has interactive), all have better seats, better food, better service, better hostesses.

I should have pointed out I was only referring to the UK-LOS service where they still use (very) old 747's with the one large single screen.

I cant fly with eva because I have to stay overnight in heathrow to get a connecting flight home to belfast and BA are always alot more expensive than Thai. I'm going to book flights in January to come back to LOS for the start of july and just hope that there are some good offers on!

Edited by meatball

I cant fly with eva because I have to stay overnight in heathrow to get a connecting flight home to belfast and BA are always alot more expensive than Thai

I am in the same situation as meatball. My first choice is Thai. I have managed to get BA, Qantas and Thai flights for around the same price but my first choice is still Thai. I admit the planes are older and perhaps inflight services are not as good but.. I can not ever remember having my Thai flights fucked up because of striking baggage handlers or caterers. Its not a good feeling flying to LHR and no one can confirm your onward BA/Qantas flight is even going to take off!

Regards

When traveling Southeast Asia, I try to primarily use Thai Air. One reason being, I know some of the language, and it seems to be a big hit with the stewardess'. I do think that Thai has some of the best looking stewardess' in the air.

I have flown Singapore Air several times, when Thai did not cover my destination. I will say that I enjoyed the flights, and the improved aircrafts. One thing I did notice, was that the stewardess' were not as polite as their Thai counter parts.

I find China Air, and China Southern, to be complete rubbish!

These are just my personal perceptions to the two airlines I choose from when flying in Asia.

I am STAR alliance gold with BMI, but now i refuse to fly thai if i can avoid it, rather go with Singapore al or Lufthansa to europe. Thai aw cabins are from a bygone era, crap seats, crap entertainment.

Can't belive people ranked them above Singapore AL and Emirates, both are really good in economy, way way out class Thai any day, this year last year and the year before that.

One main reason I chose Thai Airlines for my trip in March was (being a large person--fat bastard--) that it gives you 34 inches seat pitch in cattle truck class and like most other things in life the extra inch or 2 certainly makes a difference, especially when flying an 11 hour journey.

I have already experienced a DVT ( followed by blood clots on my lungs) following a cramped flight back from Australia a few years ago, so I am always trying for extra leg room or emergency exit seats, but 34 inches enabled me to stretch my legs easily.

This was my first time on Thai Airlines and I was pleasantly surprised with the food on the plane and the service from the delightful young ladies, and I had only to ask for a drink, and it was soon delivered. I have flown on many airlines long haul in the past, B.A, Singapore, Quantas, Malaysian and I have to give a thumbs up for Thai.

Next time I go to Australia, I shall try Thai to Brisbane and then local flight up to Cairns.

Just shows that each flight is a different experience.

Who is for Aeroflot -----aaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

Nice to hear the comments on Thai airlines as I was looking at booking Thai from Heathrow to BKK in april next year on recomendation of a friend with whom I will be traveling. I have just come back from Thialand a week ago having flown with Etihad from Manchester stoppoing off in Abu Dabi for 1.5 hrs then onto the heavenly city of BKK!! Etihad an excellent airline plenty of room in the economy seating excellent service from the staff food great and individual tv screens. If that aint enough all flights were on time So Etihad have my vote. The only reason I am looking at Thai is due to the recomendation of my friend and that its a direct flight also he tells me that if you fly with Thai you can get internal flights for £40 return!

So any comments or further information will be greatly recieved.

Hi Darkman,

I would not worry about the 40 pounds internal flight.

I've justed booked a return flight with Air Asia, Udon Thani to BBK for 1,812B. About 26 pounds, the flight takes just under a hour each way and anywhere else internal is less than 40 p.

This price is for internet bookings only.

Cheers Doug. Just enjoying my first year in my new house in Udon, would not swap LOS for anywhere else. :bigsmile: