Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

I have much of my income, going into Lloyds/TSB, then have created a Direct Debit, for much of it, into the Bangkok Bank, here. and I have a BKK Card, to use in the ATM, whenever we need funds. My questions are this:- When we go on holiday, wherever, or whenever, I am fairly certain, this card, will NOT work in other Countries (including UK) and also If I remove bahts, I cannot credit to my other Lloyds accounts. . Is there a Bank here, which will do fund transfers into other currencies?

Anyone know the best way around this? please

I seem to recall that when I got my Bangkok Bank ATM card, there was an option of a more expensive card, which would allow withdrawals outside LOS. The card has a Visa and 'PLUS' emblems on it. If in doubt, pop into the bank and ask them.

I find it more convenient to only transfer sufficient funds to my Bangkok Bank acct, for living in LOS.

Any other place, I am drawing on my UK bank account. That bank account has 'Internet Banking' and I can send funds to any country and use the debit card worldwide.

That said, I do not believe you are restricted by Bangkok Bank from making transfer out of LOS, providing they are sure the money was brought into the account from overseas. I would not like to see what rubbishy exchange rate Lloyds would give you on receiving baht, hence get Bangkok Bank to convert it prior to transfer.

There is also the option of a foreign currency account which you can open in LOS (eg £ ,€ or $).

Since nobody offers interest rates these days, you only have to avoid charges and detrimental currency fluctuations.

Consensus seems to be that the baht will decline against £ in the future..... but don't hold me to that!

Edited by jacko
I seem to recall that when I got my Bangkok Bank ATM card, there was an option of a more expensive card, which would allow withdrawals outside LOS. The card has a Visa and 'PLUS' emblems on it. If in doubt, pop into the bank and ask them.

I find it more convenient to only transfer sufficient funds to my Bangkok Bank acct, for living in LOS.

Any other place, I am drawing on my UK bank account. That bank account has 'Internet Banking' and I can send funds to any country and use the debit card worldwide.

That said, I do not believe you are restricted by Bangkok Bank from making transfer out of LOS, providing they are sure the money was brought into the account from overseas. I would not like to see what rubbishy exchange rate Lloyds would give you on receiving baht, hence get Bangkok Bank to convert it prior to transfer.

There is also the option of a foreign currency account which you can open in LOS (eg £ ,€ or $).

Since nobody offers interest rates these days, you only have to avoid charges and detrimental currency fluctuations.

Consensus seems to be that the baht will decline against £ in the future..... but don't hold me to that!

From the time of arriving in Ubon ( Dec 2006) I have been on first name terms, with BKK Bank's finance manageress. I was attempting to buy things via Ebay, and had to use my lloyds/TSB, in order to do so. You cannot use the visa/BKK Bank card, for the simple reason, there is ablock on outside use, imposed by the five main thai banks. this is done via the security number on the reverse. I have visited many branches, of most banks, with the same failure. going to try the Siam Commercial. oddly, nor will they pay bills for you, by direct debit. maybe it can be done if you have abusiness. But hey! Thabnks for your input. Don

I seem to recall that when I got my Bangkok Bank ATM card, there was an option of a more expensive card, which would

PS. I forgot to mention, restricting the input of Pounds sterling, would not even be sensble, when being on a Retirement/ marriage Visa, I have to show a certain pile of Bahts! To do so.

I have premium account with HSBC UK and HSBC Bangkok,

as long as you have more than £50000 ,no transfere fees either direction.

I have £500 transfered from UK to Thailand every month

Thanks Dr Mick = BUt so do I - £1000 actually, but what I want to do, without changing the Standing arrangement, is try to save a little in the BKK Bank then use the Bangkok card, (not the Lloyds/TSB one), say to buy for the travel, maybe show the TW Spain, France or Italy, before reaching UK.

PS. I forgot to mention, restricting the input of Pounds sterling, would not even be sensble, when being on a Retirement/ marriage Visa, I have to show a certain pile of Bahts! To do so.
It would be sensible to me..... over and above the 400,000 or 800,000 you are required to show. You can even draw down on that so long as you build it back up in time for the renewal, and 3 months ahead of course.

I have plenty of neighbours who get all their bills paid while they are away, one has some arrangement, the other lets me take care of it. As to Ebay, well perhaps this is a bit of an exception. I actually use my UK accounts again and have the stuff sent to the address per the CC there.

I am also quite sure I was told I could use my BB ATM card to draw cash outside Thailand, but admittedly have not needed to test this. That would mean the money went through 2 currency conversions and I have this daft idea I am losing out. :thumbup Nor have I tried to use it to purchase goods outside LOS, that is where my UK cards come in. I do not trust using my UK cards inside LOS.

As to what you replied to Dr Mick above, perhaps buy airfares and travellers cheques in LOS. :D

Edited by jacko
It would be sensible to me..... over and above the 400,000 or 800,000 you are required to show. You can even draw down on that so long as you build it back up in time for the renewal, and 3 months ahead of course.

I have plenty of neighbours who get all their bills paid while they are away, one has some arrangement, the other lets me take care of it. As to Ebay, well perhaps this is a bit of an exception. I actually use my UK accounts again and have the stuff sent to the address per the CC there.

I am also quite sure I was told I could use my BB ATM card to draw cash outside Thailand, but admittedly have not needed to test this. That would mean the money went through 2 currency conversions and I have this daft idea I am losing out. :D Nor have I tried to use it to purchase goods outside LOS, that is where my UK cards come in. I do not trust using my UK cards inside LOS.

As to what you replied to Dr Mick above, perhaps buy airfares and travellers cheques in LOS. :thumbup

I agree with jacko. Just move one lot of cash over per year (9.50 one-time charge using HBOS online) and use your UK account for online payments etc and to withdraw cash when on holiday outside of LOS.

It . I do not trust using my UK cards inside LOS.

Re the above, I also have a Tesco Visa card, issued in UK, I have used both that and the Lloyds/TSB card in Tesco here, in the past, (but have not done so lately),with no problems In UK, you can also get ''Cash back''- but I dont think you can do that here. Also in the past, I was using the Lloyds/TSB to draw 25,000 Bahts at a time, to pay the builders their Wages, on a Friday. Did that for four months, while living in the Laithong. You see, because my Attorney looks after the rental incomes, too, some months, I have ''Bahts left over'' and it would be good to be able, to put that back into a spare A/C I have with Lloyds! Thanks anyway. I see the Pound has risen slightly. Don

It . I do not trust using my UK cards inside LOS.

Re the above, I also have a Tesco Visa card, issued in UK, I have used both that and the Lloyds/TSB card in Tesco here, in the past, (but have not done so lately),with no problems In UK, you can also get ''Cash back''- but I dont think you can do that here. Also in the past, I was using the Lloyds/TSB to draw 25,000 Bahts at a time, to pay the builders their Wages, on a Friday. Did that for four months, while living in the Laithong. You see, because my Attorney looks after the rental incomes, too, some months, I have ''Bahts left over'' and it would be good to be able, to put that back into a spare A/C I have with Lloyds! Thanks anyway. I see the Pound has risen slightly. Don

I see the pound has fallen back now.... Mr Darling and his pie hole!!!

I have used my CCs in LOS, and fortunately no issues. It is just that I did not like the 'security' of when they did it. Some try to go off into another room with your card, some write down the number etc. That and a few dire stories on internet forums, persuaded me to avoid doing so. Also drawing cash overseas on my credit card, no, since charges start immediately at their usurious interest rates.

My LOS account gave me some interest last December, and since my UK accounts are now offering near zero, might as well leave more over here. Probably start buying my airtickets from the LOS end!

Edited by jacko

This post has got my interest up - say I was to open a HSBC account in Australia, and someone else opened a Thailand HSBC account.

With internet banking would they charge me to make transfers from my Oz account to the Thailand one?

If they do charge any idea how much?

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE (Dr Mick @ Apr 26 2009, 01:41 PM)

Is that £5k in the UK, or Bkk, or both?

• 2 weeks later...
I see the pound has fallen back now.... Mr Darling and his pie hole!!!

I have used my CCs in LOS, and fortunately no issues. It is just that I did not like the 'security' of when they did it. Some try to go off into another room with your card, some write down the number etc. That and a few dire stories on internet forums, persuaded me to avoid doing so. Also drawing cash overseas on my credit card, no, since charges start immediately at their usurious interest rates.

My LOS account gave me some interest last December, and since my UK accounts are now offering near zero, might as well leave more over here. Probably start buying my airtickets from the LOS end!

I did say, Tesco, where you watch the card constantly. Not some back street shop. Also, since I live in LOS, I have no alternative but to buy Air tickets here, but the price is higher than if you were in the UK! Also because of the exchange rate, if you ever have to leave Thailand, and head home, how do you propose moving your funds back to UK?

Is there a Bank here, which will do fund transfers into other currencies?

Get a Bualuang Premier ATM card, works anywhere in the world, pretty well any machine.

Any bank will transfer funds in any (reasonable) currency - that's what banks do.

I did say, Tesco, where you watch the card constantly. Not some back street shop. Also, since I live in LOS, I have no alternative but to buy Air tickets here, but the price is higher than if you were in the UK! Also because of the exchange rate, if you ever have to leave Thailand, and head home, how do you propose moving your funds back to UK?

There's nothing to stop you buying your tickets to commence the journey in UK rather than LOS. Since many airlines offer a change of return date free of charge (or minimum charge) it's not as if you have to be certain of the dates for your next trip - only that it will be within the validity of the ticket.

Draw them out before I go maybe.....

Also I believe I can use the Bangkok Bank ATM card in other countries......

I could always come back to LOS unless I became 'non grata'...

I also live in LOS and up to this time bought all my tickets ex UK. No problem, I go 2 times/year and flight dates can be changed. My future ones will be ex-los as I came out one way this time.

Edited by jacko