Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 507 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Brazil Vs. USA in CONFEDERATIONS CUP

I got a chance to watch the second half of the USA V. Spain match. And (I know little about the sport) it seemed to me the USA played a sort of prevent defense. Looked as if they had two lines of defense that lived near the FK area, making it hard for spain to get anything going as far as offense. Fernando Torres had no break aways in the second half partly due to the 2 lines. I Follow fernando torres for the fact one co-worked talks up MAN United so much, we root for Liverpool just to spite him. We really dont care who wins. But Brazil is going to be a scary match. I really dont see anything changing from the first time these two met. We got by Spain because they were looking to Brazil and in their minds already beat us before stepping into the pitch. WOW SA just scored on spain!! I think spain is already on the plane.

It would be great if the States could really get into the sport but who knows. I know diving is a major turnoff. The one sport I can think of where deceiving the referees to win a game is part of play and so accepted.

Edited by Al_Davis

I think it is great fun and good for the sport. No matter what the outcome it has to be good for the sport in America.

Remember Lake Placid? The USA should have never beaten the Soviets in "ice" hockey (yes I know Joe Kicker). We should have gotten our butts kicked by Spain. That's why they actually play games for real and not on paper.

Gee I think that getting to the final match of a really major tournament isn't very embarrassing. It'd have to be something like 12-0 in the last game to be embarrassing now.

I don't buy this "good for the sport" doohickey, though, any more than Pele playing for New York was great or the US women winning the world championship was good for it or Beckham was.

Lots of people like soccer. There's all kinds of it on US TV - I noticed while quickly surfing past it that New Zealand-Iraq World Cup playoff was live on ESPN 2 a week or whatever ago - a very popular station where all the Wimbledon tennis plays. But soccer just won't get the numbers and notice and attention in the US that it gets in one-sport countries, most of which are in Europe. It will always have to share.

Remember Lake Placid? The USA should have never beaten the Soviets in "ice" hockey (yes I know Joe Kicker). We should have gotten our butts kicked by Spain. That's why they actually play games for real and not on paper.

Yeah, this is kind of my point. You can't get better than Lake Placid. But hockey didn't gain (or lose) because of it.

But we all love it when they play the game and the underdog wins, I think. It was a good day for the Americans against Spain, plus the US has a very good team at the moment. If the beat Brazil, it would be a real kick, no pun intended. One good deal about being the underdog is it's really REALLY hard to be embarrassed. The only team in danger of being embarrassed is Brazil.

ADD:

I just checked the US TV listings, and I see this final match is on live on the Numero Uno Top ESPN channel in about three hours (as I write). An hour after the game, there's a baseball game but good for the US ESPN people.

Edited by joekicker
Gee I think that getting to the final match of a really major tournament isn't very embarrassing. It'd have to be something like 12-0 in the last game to be embarrassing now.

One good deal about being the underdog is it's really REALLY hard to be embarrassed. The only team in danger of being embarrassed is Brazil.

THat's my point. 12-0. But I was more thinking 5-0. If we lose 1-0...2-1.. Right, nothing embarrassing about that, Brazil may be the best in the world. Spain v. SA turned out to be a great game. More games like this and maybe here in the states they'd have more fans of the sport.

Yeah, this is kind of my point. You can't get better than Lake Placid. But hockey didn't gain (or lose) because of it.

I think hockey did gain. Hockey tried and failed in the western USA prior the Olympics. The San Francisco Seals, for instance. I think the Olympics opened some eyes. I never followed hockey before but always kept an eye on those from the Olympic team that turned pro. Now in California you have the Sharks, Kings, Ducks and in Arizona you have the Coyotees. I think Lake Placid opened some previously shut eyes in the arid western USA.

Certainly the success of the Kings helped as well.

Okay, I don't agree. Hockey expanded, and actually the NHL hasn't done all that well. All you have in the west is the pros - the "triple A" teams and double-A teams and high school teams don't draw flies for all intents.

But you can make the argument you make, I understand.

USA 2-0 up after 30 minutes ,good on ye USA ,not a massive shock if they win(considering the overall comp,) but then again they would've took two of the biggest scalps in world football in the space of a week. :D

Okay, I don't agree. Hockey expanded, and actually the NHL hasn't done all that well. All you have in the west is the pros - the "triple A" teams and double-A teams and high school teams don't draw flies for all intents.

But you can make the argument you make, I understand.

And it never will get more than NHL level here. You have to go to the Sierras to find any winter sports. We do have hockey leagues for adults and youth but those are not at the school level. There has been some success by the Sharks here to widen the sport:

http://www.sjjrsharks.com/homepage.php

http://www.sjjrsharks.com/PlayerDev/philosophy.php

Hockey in the west will never be what it is in Canada, The northeast USA and Great Lakes region.

My point was simply that Lake Placid opened up the eyes of many as to the value of hockey as a spectator sport.

Halftime, I don't think the Norte Americanos need worry about being embarrassed no matter what happens now.

Mr Kaka and associates, on the other hand....

The second US goal was absolutely brilliant, as good as anything since Maradona, and the Americans actually KICKED the ball home. (Tempted to say "to boot" but it's so obvious).

i don't know why you would think the USA would be embaressed, i think the have a very decent team, the play to there strengths, and are very good in defence, they are a very hard team to beat.

2-0 at the end of first time. USA is playing with lots of heart. They're doing a good job of clear out shots and Tim Howard has played a great first half. But hey, its Brazil and they'll be out for arse second half.

2-0 at the end of first time. USA is playing with lots of heart. They're doing a good job of clear out shots and Tim Howard has played a great first half. But hey, its Brazil and they'll be out for arse second half.

I spoke to my daughter in the USA on the phone at half time and offered to bet her Brazil would win. They they scored immediately.

The US is in that lovely position of where it is virtually impossible to be embarrassed, whoever wins.

I spoke to my daughter in the USA on the phone at half time and offered to bet her Brazil would win. They they scored immediately.

The US is in that lovely position of where it is virtually impossible to be embarrassed, whoever wins.

should be 2-2 now, that ball was over the line.

Regardless of the final score this will be a tremendous result for US football (sorry soccerball as Beckham calls it).

A great advert for the sport & the US kids will be flocking to sign up.

Tim Howard is playing a blinder, but can they (US) hang on?

brilliant match so far.

Guess what!!! Brazil has just equalized 2-2

win win situation for everyone with this exhibition of top class soccer.

rogero :D

You're correct. Even though they gave up a 2-0 lead and will probably lose, they played very well. Brazil just keeps coming and coming, they look the fresher team at this point.

I can't watch the game with the sound on. It is like a million bees in that stadium.

it has been mentioned many times, over the last week i hope they get it sorted before the world cup starts, listening to that noise for a month, would drive anyone crazy. :D

Fatigue seems to taking its toll on the US team as the experience of the Brazilians is starting to show.

Nevertheless a wonderful showing by the US national team.

They will be regarded in a different light from now on.

Final whistle 3-2, Kudos to both sides for providing great entertainment.

rogero still :D

Brazil just keeps coming and coming, they look the fresher team at this point.

Relentless aren't they? The US was sort of mouth-gasping and the yellow shirts just kept coming as you say. Better team won, the other team did the game proud. I think there's no argument now the US are world class, if not world champs. The more top teams the better, bring on the World Cup.

A propos of that, FIFA is supposed to rule on those horns but the ridiculous Blatter person says it might be racist to ban them for an African tournament. WTF???

Further a propos of that, anyone planning Joburg next July better pack long johns and mufflers. The crowd did not look comfortable at all!

Go USA! i like the yanks at football they have come so far in only a few years . fair play to ya :beer

Yep, it doesn't seem like fifty-odd years since they beat England in the World Cup. ;)

I just recently read a good piece on the actual NorKors coming back to England and still getting a good reception. I presume it was a doco, the newspaper piece I saw was a little vague on why they had come back for a reunion of sorts.

I just recently read a good piece on the actual NorKors coming back to England and still getting a good reception. I presume it was a doco, the newspaper piece I saw was a little vague on why they had come back for a reunion of sorts.

They were the Giant Killers of '66 reaching the semis with Portugal. Very popular side here. They had a lot of local support at their games.

Well done America for the Brazil game and of course the Spanish one. Shame they ran out of steam. Pity they didn't have the fitness of the Basketball lads ! :rolleyes:

They were the Giant Killers of '66 reaching the semis with Portugal. Very popular side here. They had a lot of local support at their games.

Well done America for the Brazil game and of course the Spanish one. Shame they ran out of steam. Pity they didn't have the fitness of the Basketball lads ! :rolleyes:

THe USA was gased but in their defense, the basketball players on need run 94 feet to cover the entire playing area. A soccer/footballer must run, what, 100yards or more and no time outs?. I give soccer players high praise running 45 minute straight. I've seen fat basketballers but never anyone in soccer fat.(while playing atleast errr Maradona). But hey, that game may have grabbed more than a few new fans in the States and I think thats a good thing.

I watched KaKa. Is he really worth the money RM is handing out? Yes he's very good and looked good in play but for that prices?? I'd like to hear opinions.