Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

About 3 weeks ago i went to the TOT office and checked if i could have 4mb or a reduction to 490 baht as i have been paying 1,000 baht for 3 years now.

The lady was more interested to reduce my charge instead of upgrading me for 890 baht,lazy cow.Now i am getting a very slow service even though i have checked speeds again today and i have 1.5mb average download speed.

Any answers guys,as the 2mb @ 1,000 baht was much better unless theere are other problems.

As far as I know (and I might be wrong here) TOT does not have multiple package sets like TT&T does.

In other words, if you still have the 2mb service, you should not be seeing different speeds at all...

TT&T on the other hand has a "thai" set and "westerner" set... called "Indy" and "Premier"... The Indy customers share their small set of bandwidth with 20 others for all international traffic, and premier shares between only 10 (at least thats how they advertised it to me).

I got the 5mb "indy" to test it out... and get some strange results. For instance, if I load a popular website, it sometimes goes slow as hell (like MSNBC), whereas the Thai sites fly... but if I download using anything other than HTTP protocol (like FTP or NNTP), I get the full 5mb. (e.g. my newsbin binary downloads are flying!).

You might want to try to switch to a alternate DNS service as well, just to try it out. Change your primary DNS to 4.2.2.2 and your secondary to 4.2.2.1... these are Open DNS servers belonging to OpenDNS.org - they might work better for you than TOTs DNS.

Hope this helps,

Frosty

As far as I know (and I might be wrong here) TOT does not have multiple package sets like TT&T does.

In other words, if you still have the 2mb service, you should not be seeing different speeds at all...

TT&T on the other hand has a "thai" set and "westerner" set... called "Indy" and "Premier"... The Indy customers share their small set of bandwidth with 20 others for all international traffic, and premier shares between only 10 (at least thats how they advertised it to me).

I got the 5mb "indy" to test it out... and get some strange results. For instance, if I load a popular website, it sometimes goes slow as hell (like MSNBC), whereas the Thai sites fly... but if I download using anything other than HTTP protocol (like FTP or NNTP), I get the full 5mb. (e.g. my newsbin binary downloads are flying!).

You might want to try to switch to a alternate DNS service as well, just to try it out. Change your primary DNS to 4.2.2.2 and your secondary to 4.2.2.1... these are Open DNS servers belonging to OpenDNS.org - they might work better for you than TOTs DNS.

Hope this helps,

Frosty

Frosty...Can you please explain how to switch to an alternative DNS service for the technically challenged (me).

ok frosty... heres another TOT related question since you are in expert mode:

3weeks ago i done the same as th OP. Went to TOT and noticed new packages available. I was originally on their "cyber gold" package (2mb 1000baht). I liked the look of the new 4mb diamond package for 800 odd baht and signed up for that.

This is where it gets complicated. Up until now i have never had to log on or sign on for the internet to work. I did when i first installed the modem a few years ago but after i did that i did nothing. (i have since changed computers several times but never reinstalled the modem software and it has always conected automatically.

So the lady at TOT says you need to change your log-in and password diamond or the net wont work. True enough within 1 hour the service had been changed and all i got was mozilla redirecting me to the TOT site. On the site there was no password section..just telling me my service was suspended.

I then dug out the modem software and tried to install it. During the installation the software gets to a certain point and then throws a wobbler. (its usually when its trying to detect some settings on the modem). ....maybe the disk is fucked but it looks like its installing ok but the problem is when it runs the installation.

Ok so the read-me file says you can also do an online setting so i typed in this weird number in the address bar and up pops a TOT internet log on screen. Once i changed the user name and password, hey presto the net connected.

My problem is that everytime i switch the computer off the password always resorts back to the old password (i have tried asking it to remember it but it doesnt do it). So at the moment everytime i want to use the net i need to access this bloody site and change the password manually.

Is this just a TOT engineer slow to update the changed password or will i need to hunt down another install disk (assuming the modem software runs and kicks in on normal windows startup?

As i said before in thoery this new computer never has had any software for the modem installed.

over to you oh great frosty

Hope this helps,

Frosty

I would be very wary of recommending TT&T Indy at the moment! For international traffic, it has turned to shit, with abysmal speeds.

I was reading the bitching and groaning over on Thaivisa last night.

Rumours of problems with International gateway.

Rumours of deliberate choking of Indy service to force (farangs) to go Premier.

Rumours of TT&T Internet going bankrupt and a 'Jasmine' takeover...

Only thing that isn't a rumour, my speed is abysmal and I doubt I will be paying this month.

(Visits to office achieve nothing except being lied to)

As to changing DNS, well yes I have been trying that, can't be sure it help. It wouldn't improve speed that's for sure, but maybe connection time to the correct server.

I change mine by accessing my modem/router rather than within Windows.

Edited by jacko
I would be very wary of recommending TT&T Indy at the moment! For international traffic, it has turned to shit, with abysmal speeds.

I was reading the bitching and groaning over on Thaivisa last night.

Rumours of problems with International gateway.

Rumours of deliberate choking of Indy service to force (farangs) to go Premier.

Rumours of TT&T Internet going bankrupt and a 'Jasmine' takeover...

Only thing that isn't a rumour, my speed is abysmal and I doubt I will be paying this month.

(Visits to office achieve nothing except being lied to)

Ditto the above. As for the password thing ...... I am retarded when it comes to routers and all the DNS speak, so I simply take my router to the TT&T (or are they called 3B now?) office and the girl there hooks it up and does the password thing on it for me. When the Maxnet offer first appeared down here they said you were better off with the Premier package for P2P and VOIP stuff but now it appears that you need Premier simply to access sites outside Thailand. :D

Edited by CheshireTom
Ok so the read-me file says you can also do an online setting so i typed in this weird number in the address bar and up pops a TOT internet log on screen. Once i changed the user name and password, hey presto the net connected.

I've had this same problem and solution every time I've upgraded with TOT. How friggin hard would it be for them to provide instructions to do this? Instead they opt to force every upgrade customer to phone in...

Sure...

Or rather, let me direct you to articles that do (I am too lazy to retype it lol)

Windows XP: Instructions

Windows Vista: Instructions

Enjoy!

Frosty

Thanks Frosty. Your link worked fine but the info there bore little resemblance to what I found when I clicked on My Computer. However, with a little perseverance I was able to navigate to where I wanted to be. I've now changed the DNS addresses and will see if it makes much difference.

ok frosty... heres another TOT related question since you are in expert mode:

3weeks ago i done the same as th OP. Went to TOT and noticed new packages available. I was originally on their "cyber gold" package (2mb 1000baht). I liked the look of the new 4mb diamond package for 800 odd baht and signed up for that.

This is where it gets complicated. Up until now i have never had to log on or sign on for the internet to work. I did when i first installed the modem a few years ago but after i did that i did nothing. (i have since changed computers several times but never reinstalled the modem software and it has always conected automatically.

So the lady at TOT says you need to change your log-in and password diamond or the net wont work. True enough within 1 hour the service had been changed and all i got was mozilla redirecting me to the TOT site. On the site there was no password section..just telling me my service was suspended.

I then dug out the modem software and tried to install it. During the installation the software gets to a certain point and then throws a wobbler. (its usually when its trying to detect some settings on the modem). ....maybe the disk is fucked but it looks like its installing ok but the problem is when it runs the installation.

My problem is that everytime i switch the computer off the password always resorts back to the old password (i have tried asking it to remember it but it doesnt do it). So at the moment everytime i want to use the net i need to access this bloody site and change the password manually.

Is this just a TOT engineer slow to update the changed password or will i need to hunt down another install disk (assuming the modem software runs and kicks in on normal windows startup?

As i said before in thoery this new computer never has had any software for the modem installed.

over to you oh great frosty

Ya... this can get tricky.

The username and password she is talking about is located in the Basic WAN Setup section of your Router's configuration.

To access your router config, you need to first log in to its own little website by pointing your browser to your routers IP address. 9 times out of 10 that address is "192.168.1.1". If that does not work, you need to check your Local Area Connection inside "Network Connections" in your control panel, and on the "Status" page it will show you your "Gateway" The gateway address is the address you need to "browse" to.

Then... Log in with the default username and password for the ROUTER... which is usually "Admin" and "admin", but varies greatly based on the type of router. If you tell me your router type and model I can tell you what the defaults are.

Once in the Router Admin website, you will need to find the location of the user/pass for the DSL connection. it is usually under "WAN SETUP" or "BASIC SETUP".

Now... the important part.. once you change the user/pass, you need to update the router... click "UPDATE" or "SAVE" depending on what router you have.

I know this is vague, but without knowing what type of router you have its the best I can do. If you are still having issues, PM me and ill send you my phone number and walk you thru it in person.

Frosty

Per thaivisa some Maxnet users have lost the ability to use Open DNS. That would be me :D

A week ago Monday night I got a message saying I needed to reconnect to my ISP and also that I would have dynamic DNS (server varies each time the user connects to the Internet). I got error codes each time I tried to log on to Maxnet. Finally was told that I had the wrong password. Seems they changed it and didn't notify me. ^_^

Connects are slow and transferring is slow but at least I'm not getting ADDRESS NOT FOUND messages for the most part.

You can no longer pay your Maxnet bills at 7/11. I did so on 02 July but later noticed I still had a balance of 43 baht. Seems there are two bar codes on the back of the bill and you can only do a partial payment. Had to go to Siam Commercial Bank to pay the 43 baht.

I was considering upgrading from the indy to premier but I think I'll hold off for a few weeks and see if things don't settle. There's a table outside the TT&T office in Carrefour that has a stack of brochures from Triple-T offering internet - I think prices are same as Maxnet. I'm guessing this is part of the takeover by Jasmine.

-redwood

Per thaivisa some Maxnet users have lost the ability to use Open DNS. That would be me

A week ago Monday night I got a message saying I needed to reconnect to my ISP and also that I would have dynamic DNS (server varies each time the user connects to the Internet). I got error codes each time I tried to log on to Maxnet. Finally was told that I had the wrong password. Seems they changed it and didn't notify me.

Connects are slow and transferring is slow but at least I'm not getting ADDRESS NOT FOUND messages for the most part.

You can no longer pay your Maxnet bills at 7/11. I did so on 02 July but later noticed I still had a balance of 43 baht. Seems there are two bar codes on the back of the bill and you can only do a partial payment. Had to go to Siam Commercial Bank to pay the 43 baht.

I was considering upgrading from the indy to premier but I think I'll hold off for a few weeks and see if things don't settle. There's a table outside the TT&T office in Carrefour that has a stack of brochures from Triple-T offering internet - I think prices are same as Maxnet. I'm guessing this is part of the takeover by Jasmine.

-redwood

Hmm...

I noticed that I have "Triple T"... but didnt think anything of it, since "Triple T" is close enough to TT&T for me lol.

I am using Open DNS without a problem... but at times the speed is shite... but at some times the speed is great. Also depends on the protocol you are using a think... as I stated before, HTTP seems to be shite, but NNTP hauls ass almost all the time.

Frosty

hi frosty,

the 192.168.1.1 is the web page i have to log into every session. I change the password and i go to save/remember password but you guess it ...it always resorts back to the old user and password. Its as if TOT aint allowing changes and they might do it themselves.

My router is a speedtouch (cant remember model number and im in uk holidaying just now). Its the model with 4 output LAN and 1 wifi aerial (5 lights on front) The fifth light is red before i connect and then goes green when i change the router web page.

hi frosty,

the 192.168.1.1 is the web page i have to log into every session. I change the password and i go to save/remember password but you guess it ...it always resorts back to the old user and password. Its as if TOT aint allowing changes and they might do it themselves.

My router is a speedtouch (cant remember model number and im in uk holidaying just now). Its the model with 4 output LAN and 1 wifi aerial (5 lights on front) The fifth light is red before i connect and then goes green when i change the router web page.

Hmm.

Let me take a look at this tomorrow for ya... There has to be something very simple wrong... like a setting on the router itself that prevents changes, or restores a backup dailly... will research it tomorrow after the crawl, if I dont forget lol.

Frosty