Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Club Mirage, the old Lennies/ Shooters

Seems that the old Lennies/Shooters has closed. It was for sale, claiming ludicrously high profits that obviously werent true. Everyone said from day one that changing Shooters to a place with lasers etc was a mistake as its regulars didnt want that. They went ahead with it and only lasted a few months.

They opened it into the teeth of the airport closure and the economic meltdown and the red shirt ASEAN protests and the airport duty-free scam exposure and the H1N1 flu nightmare and a whole host of other misfortunes. I don't think anybody could have predicted that the last 6 months would consist of one problem after another for Thai tourism. Who knows if Shooters could have continued the kind of steady growth we were enjoying in these conditions?

They opened it into the teeth of the airport closure and the economic meltdown and the red shirt ASEAN protests and the airport duty-free scam exposure and the H1N1 flu nightmare and a whole host of other misfortunes. I don't think anybody could have predicted that the last 6 months would consist of one problem after another for Thai tourism. Who knows if Shooters could have continued the kind of steady growth we were enjoying in these conditions?

I remember you asked BMs if they thought it was a good idea for you to invest in the Club Mirage project, and I think it was unanimous that it was a non starter. Only the new owners didnt seem to think so. Same as if the The Cherry Bar/ RH turned into a laser lit, coyotee, smoke machine nightmare playing hip hop.

I can't say that I'm surprised.

As Lennies I liked it.

As Shooters, it was OK.

Both of these had a touch of difference.

As Mirage, it was just another gogo and stuck out on it's own away from the herd.

IMO Mirage's only hope was to build up a following among the expat/regular visitor community, but it didn't have anything special enough to make them pay Walking Street prices. Because of it's position the bulk of tourists, who are happy to pay those prices, would never have seen it at all.

Edited by Big_Brian

When it was Lennie's I went there often. Enjoyed talking to Manfred and Noi and many of the girls in the line-up.

When they hired an ex-flb girl as mamasan and she got nasty with some customers, that's when it started to lose it's appeal for me.

Ray, you make a fair point about the unfortunate timing, but the best conditions in the universe won't help if people don't want to be there. I enjoyed the old Lennie's and later Shooters and have many great memories of the joint. Did wander into Mirage a couple of times but didn't see anybody I knew (except some of the horizontal dancing partners) and it never really grew on me.

Edited by LadyDrinkKing

Can't help but think that if the place was still Lennies it would have survived.

Lennies was a popular place to hang, party, watch sports, etc. and had some good food.

RIP.

Yep, enjoyed the place when it was Lennies. So much so that I bought the T-shirt. Enjoyed it also when it was Shooters, but no T-shirt. Mirage? :clap2

I hope it will be re-born as a friendly place......as it was once.

Little Roy 2guns

bloke down the pub says it's been sold and broke even and the boys are on their next project

Good.

What bar are they ruining next? :cry2

Has anyone ever admited to a loss in Patts? :devil

IMHO Lennies should have stayed as it was. Paul should have continued there. It was a winning combination and had many regulars. Now mirage is closed and Paul is lost in huge emptiness

PS: No offence meant Paul...

IMHO Lennies should have stayed as it was. Paul should have continued there. It was a winning combination and had many regulars. Now mirage is closed and Paul is lost in huge emptiness

PS: No offence meant Paul...

None taken Mate.

See you soon.

Regards

Paul

:D

When it was Lennie's I went there often. Enjoyed talking to Manfred and Noi and many of the girls in the line-up.

Yep, when it was Lennie's stopped in almot nightly when in town for a few drinks. When it went to Shooters still popped in but less with each visit.