Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Faster Tinternet in Patts

Recently browsing the net I found that Google co-wrote a free DNS speed checker, so I DL'd it HERE and ran it. I'm currently on Maxtnet and use their default DNS settings. I was shocked after running the test that 'True's' was 114% quicker, so I immediately switched my DNS settings in my modem to theirs and BANG! page loads are LOTS quicker.

So my advise is if your not subscribed to True and you live in Patts then change your DNS settings (Google it!) to True!

Primary: 119.46.240.1

Secondary: 119.46.240.3

Or run the program your self where ever you are in the world to get the best settings for you :rolleyes:

If your computer has an edition of Windows from 2008-present (including Vista and Windows 7), you will need to install this quick update, if you get an error message that the program can't be executed.

Visual C++ 2008 windows update

http://code.google.com/p/namebench/issues/detail?id=37

Thanks for the links BigLeg

Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox

If you have access to private DNS servers, they are even faster. I have used my own private DNS since moving here, and its always made a huge difference. I'm sure TT&T's DNS server is probably a old 386 they had sitting around :wanker

Frosty

• 3 weeks later...
Just ran a check and my 2mb tot broadband was the fastest.

I have seen a marked increase of speed with my tot and i have downloades at 200kbs at times

:banghead

DNS speed will not change anything to your download speed !

And about DNS from Pattaya,

why not use the Google ones that are with a 40 ms ping only ? (8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4)

So my advise is if your not subscribed to True and you live in Patts then change your DNS settings (Google it!) to True!

That's interesting. I would have thought they would be boosting the new Google DNS service.

I'm not at all convinced that DNS settings have much to do with getting stuff done on the Net, though. There are horrible DNS servers that aren't properly maintained and updated (are you listening, True?) but all a DNS does is give you actual access to a web page -- it doesn't affect the download speed or even the showing of the page. So you can save, what? A second or two sometimes?

I have really found True to be horrible. But here's the deal. All Thai ISPs *cache* their DNS -- the reason being, that is how they censor them. So if you're only trying to get Yahoo.com or Twitter.com smh.com.au or whatever innocuous site, the Thai ISPs will actually serve it up faster than any other choice -- if and ONLY if they're current, up to date and have had proper maintenance. They serve it up fast so they can block it fast if you're evil enough to be trying to get to one of the 60,000-plus censored websites/pages.

For the IT dummies like me how do I change my DNS settings?
Well I would have to go into my modem/router and program it.

Getting a bit deep for the average Joe..... (not kicker, far from average)

Edited by jacko
I have found True to be superb, fast page loads, fantastic streaming and downloading movies at 1.4mb/s is awesome.

The DNS lookups and translations, Fondles, the DNS.

To be fair, True has got better over the past year. But they still have periods where you get total outages of "page not found" when it is obvious they are somehow effing with the DNS tables, probably rebuilding the censorhip caches. Early LAST year it was really horrible, when Ms Ranongruk took over and decided to be the nation's chief censor.

If DNS is working, True is fine or better, agreed about that.

I have found True to be superb, fast page loads, fantastic streaming and downloading movies at 1.4mb/s is awesome.

Hi Fondles,

Can I ask you in wihch area of Pattaya your are ?

and which True subscription you took.

I am in Center Condo, South Rd, and for more than 1 month True is very bad.

Many interruptions (10 minutes to 2 hours!) and download 300 mbs max :banghead

No way to look any YouTube or like... :allright

The DNS lookups and translations, Fondles, the DNS.

Have not had any issues, its fast, if its not fast it because I have dropped connection alltogether (Twice now since Oct last year)

Hi Fondles,

Can I ask you in wihch area of Pattaya your are ?

and which True subscription you took.

Soi Khao Noi (East Pattaya)... Im on the 8mb package (1149b).

Have not had any issues, its fast, if its not fast it because I have dropped connection alltogether (Twice now since Oct last year)

Then you have had two issues, just like I said I had.

If your browser gives you that "site not found" message, then it's the DNS, 100 times out of 99.

Then you have had two issues, just like I said I had.

If your browser gives you that "site not found" message, then it's the DNS, 100 times out of 99.

Yeah as i said, the two issues was NO CONNECTION as in nada, not a thing completely offline as in same same pulling the lan cable from the back of my PC...............nothing to do with DNS.