Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

"Screening Passengers By Observation Technique" (SPOT)

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Interesting article about airport security "behavior detection officers"

"Airport security: Intent to deceive?"

http://www.nature.com/news/2010/100526/full/465412a.html

TSA screeners trained to pick out suspicious or anomalous behaviour in passengers. There are about 3,000 of these officers working at some 161 airports across the United States, all part of a four-year-old programme called Screening Passengers by Observation Technique (SPOT), which is designed to identify people who could pose a threat to airline passengers.

Yet a growing number of researchers are dubious — not just about the projects themselves, but about the science on which they are based. "Simply put, people (including professional lie-catchers with extensive experience of assessing veracity) would achieve similar hit rates if they flipped a coin," noted a 2007 report1 from a committee of credibility-assessment experts who reviewed research on portal screening.

So what do you think?

Is this actually a real "science" that's making people safer,

or just another example of wasted money on bogus "feel good" security (while over 80% of airline cargo continues to go unscreened in passenger airliners to this day)?

And hey, why stop such a great idea at just airport screening? Why, the government could employ these "behavior detection officers" in all aspects of society, detecting & preventing all sorts of "deviant" behavior before it was done! :rolleyes:

And does this mean I need to start hiding my erection better on my outbound trips to LOS?

I won't vote since your choices are intended to prove your point and not ask for an honest opinion. Both answers demean the government or the people doing the job or both.

bye troll

I think if you actually spent a couple minutes to read the article and the facts it present, you'd agree that the "troll" is this asshole Paul Ekman profiting from the terrorist fear mongering and selling his fake "science" to gullible goverments

... thereby diverting funds & manpower from much more credible forms of security.