Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

I not opposed to bit of heat in my food so can you fellas suggest dishes & the places that serve hotter than usual thai food?

:allright

One time, in Bangkok, at a lunch counter, I had some Thai food that was so spicy I couldn't even put it in my mouth. I'm not sure what it was. Some Thai girl ordered it for me.

Pad Prik Geng Nua is a spicy one i've tried first hand, then of course you've got your BGs favourite dish, good old Som Tam. :allright

You'll find these dishes served up at most thai 'hole in the wall' style places.

Cheers

Sanuk Scouser

Edited by sanuk scouser

The dish Pad Kapow means Fried Basil. Add a gai (chicken) or nuea (beef) on the end. Even in Bangkok, this is a VERY spicy dish, served over rice with a fried egg. You'd have to be in a really wimpy-touristy place to get a non-hot version of this, it's quite dependably hot.

Then there are soup dishes where you add your own spices - from the "Chinese noodles" of kway teow to the curry-soup dish Khao Soy. These come with hot stuff on the table you can stuff your bowl with if you're up for it. In Pattaya you have to be a bit careful of the holes in the wall, because they might cook for "the farang taste".

"Phet dai, krap" will get across the very simple message to the cook that you can take it hot.

The spiciest thing I ever ate was Som Tam at the Issahn festival at the #8 school. Even the TGF said it was too spicy.

Normally seafood salad (Yam Talay) is the spiciest food I like to eat.

Overly spicy food is a waste as it spoils the enjoyment and flavour of the other components..... it's a bit like the drunk in Abduls Curry House after a Friday night out, proving how tough he is asking the staff to 'make the chicken Vindaloo spicy' they will take the piss. He will likely eat it, suffer doing so, suffer in the taxi all the way home, and most certainly on the can a few hours later.

I keep trying to get the TGF to cut back on the chilly (and I would say I can eat pretty spicy), but she keeps sneaking it back up.

Ah well, keeps me regular..... :allright

Edited by jacko

jacko I agree. The whole point of Thai cooking is the BLENDING of the four flavours - salty, sweet, sour AND spicy. Watch them prepare som tam, and all four are in there -- fish sauce, sugar (or similar), manow and chili. Knocking you over with any one of the tastes is considered poor cooking. You can make the spicy be the most dominant of the four without totally taking over the dish - that's what good cooks do.

jacko I agree.
That's me made up for the week........... :allright

just order kao putt everything, fried rice

it's almost never spicy & they put little bits of cucumber around the plate to help you if it does get spicy

it's almost never spicy & they put little bits of cucumber around the plate to help you if it does get spicy

Do you perhaps mean khao phat (whatever)....?

But seriously, there is so much more to Thai food than 'fried rice'....

Edited by jacko

Double post....

Edited by jacko
yep my wife's Som Tam is pretty dam spicy!!!

While it wasn't your wife's, looking over the menu at a BigC restaurant many moons ago I thought, hey, papaya salad sounds refreshing......... Wow, was I wrong.

But seriously, there is so much more to Thai food than 'fried rice'....

Like just about everything, considering that khao phat is Chinese.

Thais do have two original khao phat dishes, Fried Rice with Spicy Beef, which tends to be very spicy indeed not to mention really delicious when done well, and American Fried Rice. (Do not doubt me on this.)

Beware of the innocent looking sauce served with Khow Phad ! ! :grin-jump

Just called nam prik - literally water chili. It's cut-up chilies in fish sauce is all. Usually uses the little mouse-poop peppers, and you should use it sparingly on the khao pad, yes.

for me the best thing to do is ask for no sugar in the dish I'm having, sugar cuts the heat as I understand they are the same taste buds.

don't know just works for me as I like phet mak mak

chers

rb

You get try a small hole in wall type of eatery opposite euro asia bar on soi chaiyapoon.I grew up eating spice all my life & could handle spiceiness pretty well,but once i pass by & had those mix dish vegetable & chicken with rice,after 2 mouthful I break into sweat a feel more mouth my scalp is numb.Of course im unable to finish that plate,the old thaiman whos the boss broke into laughter,saying'see i warned u,this is south thailand dish which even plenty of thai cant handle this spiciness'My tounge is on fired to speak. :P

Sometimes when you just want 'HOT' I like 'nam tdok moo'... mai ow man khrap'...........'Waterfall of pork' without fat as the Thais love the lumps of fat but I like to watch my weight.

It's a different sort of 'hot' to curries or som tam.

I'll usually have it on the beach with sticky rice. My lips are swollen and throbbing by the end and I find myself bursting into a passable 'Brown Sugar'

However, the feeling soon passes and no problems next day........Unlike a 'Phal'....I only took those when I had flu. It would take my mind quite off the symptoms for a while.

The dish Pad Kapow means Fried Basil. Add a gai (chicken) or nuea (beef) on the end. Even in Bangkok, this is a VERY spicy dish, served over rice with a fried egg. You'd have to be in a really wimpy-touristy place to get a non-hot version of this, it's quite dependably hot.

Then there are soup dishes where you add your own spices - from the "Chinese noodles" of kway teow to the curry-soup dish Khao Soy. These come with hot stuff on the table you can stuff your bowl with if you're up for it. In Pattaya you have to be a bit careful of the holes in the wall, because they might cook for "the farang taste".

"Phet dai, krap" will get across the very simple message to the cook that you can take it hot.

Must have an asbestos mouth then as i pour chilli suace on this dish and dont find it too phet.

Must have an asbestos mouth then as i pour chilli suace on this dish and dont find it too phet.

Yeah, in the end any Thai dish can be cooked bland. And any non-Thai dish can be made so hot that it will burn the mouth. Pad Kapow is one of the dishes that is supposed to be quite spicy and it's available everywhere, only reason I specified it. It *normally* not always comes with cut-up mouse poop peppers in it.

It wasn't that the dish was so hot per se, but once I was eating some sort of Thai dish that had the little fiery chillis in it. I was doing OK -- it was hot but I'm somewhat acclimated to such things. Somehow, while chewing, I managed to drive a piece of one of those chilli peppers under the gum behind my front teeth. The pain simply exploded in my head and my sinuses instantly let lose a torrent of watery mucus as my eyes bulged and I gasped for relief. People at my table thought I was doing some sort of Linda Blair/Excorcist thing. Worst chilli experience I've ever had.

He asked for places to eat spicy food your dumb fucking gargoyle not food that isn't spicy :clueless

Pad Grapow is nice at the hole in the wall type places. The Kai dao finishes the dish up nicely. Just ask for ped ped if it isnt spicy enough for you.

I always like to eat a wee bit of somtam as well but I hate it when it burns the second time around!