Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Train Travel in Thailand

Everything you could possibly want to know about train travel in LOS .....

Dave Bernstein's Guide is easily the best reference document that I've come across. Simply choose to download, tell your printer what pages you want and away you go.

Online - The Man in Seat 61

Dave Bernstein's Guide to download (pdf)

• Upvote 3

Appreciated. I have been wanting to do the trip to Nong Kai but never had the courage. Also had the desire to do the one to KL or a side trip to Lankawi. I will read and learn.

Did the overnight to Chaing Mai.. Was nice,

Did the day trip back and it was a nightmare. Too much air con and the ticket claimed the journey was 2 hours shorter than what it was in reality. Too much to handle after 10 hours or so.

Highly recoomend the "Sprinter" train trip from BKK to Hua Hin that leaves around 1 pm and arrives just past 5 pm.

It's no bullet train but 2nd class is comfortable enough, great views of the Thai countryside and the beers flow.

Official train food is crap but every station stop some touts jump on selling decent tucker.

:chogdee:

Highly recoomend the "Sprinter" train trip from BKK to Hua Hin that leaves around 1 pm and arrives just past 5 pm.

And an absolute bargain at just over 100 Baht o/w! :thumbup

Edited by CheshireTom

Just went to Hua Hin from BKK FER 152

No aircon car available.

was 38 degrees and it seemed like a bicycle would've been faster.

Didnt try the squat toilet, 55555555555

Just went to Hua Hin from BKK FER 152

No aircon car available.

I think that only one of the dozen or so daily trains that run between BKK and Hua Hin is totally non-aircon (3rd class). Unfortunately, time-wise, it's the most convenient.

I think that only one of the dozen or so daily trains that run between BKK and Hua Hin is totally non-aircon (3rd class). Unfortunately, time-wise, it's the most convenient.

did seem odd that no aircon was available mid day.

for an aircon non sleeper ya need a DRC (deisel rail car) that leaves BKK @ 08:05 or 22:50.

This chart says there were sleepers available with aircon at 13:00 (S) but that wasn't the case and there was no restaurant car either (R.)

Train travel in Thailand - Train times & fares from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, Ko Samui, Phuket, Nong Kai etc..jpeg

2nd air con class sleepers have a squat and a western loo.....

That's what I thought.

Tom, I thought the 2nd class fare was a few hundred baht one way. Our "sprinter" car was airconned and had a "seated" toilet.

Another toilet option is the final carriage often opens up to nothing but the tracks so you could take a squat there. Just hang on FFS! :thumbup :bhappy

Tom, I thought the 2nd class fare was a few hundred baht one way. Our "sprinter" car was airconned and had a "seated" toilet.

The base fare is 102 Baht for 2nd Class. The various supplements are what add up.

Edited by CheshireTom

Based on what I had read in the forums and online, I was eager to take a rail journey in Thailand. I booked a trip from Nakhon Sawan to Chiang Mai for me and my girl.

It was horrible. The train was 4 hours late. Even if it had been on time, it took hours longer than a bus would have, The toilet was horrific.

Never again.

Edit: The worst part of all was it went exactly like my girl said it would, and she gleefully learned how to say "told you so" in English just so she could say it all fucking day.

Edited by alias
  • Upvote 2

It's great when it is over though isn't it!

I am one of the sad people that enjoy train travel. I have done the overnight train from Bangkok to Udon Thani in the 2nd class sleeper a few years ago. Then last month we did the train from Bangkok to Surat Thani in a first class sleeper on our way to Koh Samui. To be honest I prefer the 2nd class sleeper as you can talk and mingle with the other passengers. Both times we took the afternoon train from Pattaya to Bangkok and then only an hour or so to wait for overnight trains.

My wife has issues with catching trains as she says that Thais only think that poor people catch trains. After catching the train to Udon Thani and then going to her village people were asking her why she married a falang with no money.

I have traveled in trains all over Australia as I work for the railways and get very good discounts. I plan to do more train trips in Thailand. The wife said she will no longer be doing these train trips with me and she will fly and meet me at the other end. Suits me fine as I don't want someone being miserable with me on the train.

• Upvote 1

It's no bullet train but 2nd class is comfortable enough, great views of the Thai countryside and the beers flow.

Official train food is crap but every station stop some touts jump on selling decent tucker.

:chogdee:

Hi Greg,

Did you go up to Hua Hin for the golf ? if so was it worth it?

Cheers

Moby69

ps I am there for the whole of Aug if you get any time off

What a coincidence. The first link I have been studying for the last few weeks as I am planning to travel to Kuala Lumpur and Singapore the next time I am in Thailand.

What a coincidence. The first link I have been studying for the last few weeks as I am planning to travel to Kuala Lumpur and Singapore the next time I am in Thailand.

You should try the Jungle Line for a bit of a change. I'm setting off on the BKK - Sungai Kolok Express later this morning ... I'll let you know how it goes. :thumbup

You should try the Jungle Line for a bit of a change. I'm setting off on the BKK - Sungai Kolok Express later this morning ... I'll let you know how it goes. :thumbup

To be honest the logistics of my trip mean that I might not have enough time to travel to Singapore by train and back again as well because I will run out of time. I'm looking at flights with Air Asia from Surat Thani to Singapore and then perhaps getting the train from there to Kuala Lumpur for a look round before getting the train back to Surat Thani so I can get a flight to Bangkok. The jungle line certainly looks interesting too.

• 5 weeks later...

bangkok ... hua hin if anyone is interested there are luxury mini buses go from victory monument in bangkok to hua hin centre , very cheap, cant remember the price ,

but very reasonable, they park just of the victory monument in a side street near the hospital,