Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

JW Marriott BKK with Priceline

I have just booked 2 nights in January at The JWM Bangkok with Priceline. I payed slightly over the top because I didn't double check the value of GBP against the USD. Payed £41 plus tax/charges comes to £55per night still not bad for 5* The next cheapest I found was siam.net at £146 for 2 nights inc tax no ABF

If you bid start at 56USD per night plus tax /charges, you should get it, Breakfast extra.

Asking priceline for 5* in Sukhumvit will yield one of: The JW Marriott, the Westin Grande Sukhumvit (WGS) or the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit (SGS).

The SGS is often rated above the JW and the rack rate is higher. The WGS has receontly been refurbished (2nd/3rd qtr 2003).

Whilst the hotel you get is variable, recent successes have given the JW over the last couple of months.

Bidding in the UK or USA has problems that you cannot immediately rebid if refused. Bidding in Singapre or Hong Kong alleviates that problem.

One consideration though is that all hotels run promotions, particularly Marriott. To give an example, Gus has paid GBP 55, or USD 94. I recently had the JW, through their own site for USD 79 (USD 93 including tax) which gave me an exec floor upgrade, extra discounts on the spa, dining etc. breakfast for 2 (which is a full meal with chefs to cook what you want) and Marriot Rewards points.

Through HK, the market seems to give about HKD 450 plus HKD 65 per day tax, plus a fee of HKD 65 for the JW.

I've used Pricline HK twice now, without a problem.  Just be sure you can really go before you buy the room, or else you'll just be throwing your money away.  In July I bid on a room for four nights in November and got the Westin Grande Sukhumvit.  However, something came up and I couldn't get away, so I just lost that money.

Rex

You don't get to specify a hotel, but there are discussion group type web sites where people exchange their Priceline experiences.  They keep a list of participating hotels in each area, so, generally, you'll know that if you bid on a 5 star hotel in a certain part of town, you'll likely get one of the two or three participating hotels in that area.

Try this:  http://pub143.ezboard.com/bpricelineasiadiscussions

Rex

Lookn4

There is http://www.biddingfortravel.com/

This gives you all the priceline info you need. For my last 2 days I am going to spoil myself and go for the once in a lifetime stay at The Peninsula, they have a great 2 night package called River Retreat .

For HK bros check out Farrington Travel they have some great deals.

SO am I wrong about Priceline or do you get to specify a hotel. I wouldn't use them for a flight 'cause I didn't know how long the layovers would be.

Has anyone gotten the Marriott in Pattya thru Priceline ?

I don't want to upset your apple cart but maybe you should read the previous posts in the thread and do some of your own research first, before jumping in with questions which have already been answered.

Not really picking on you Lookn4Domi but it seems more and more newbies don't bother.

I went through priceline HK last month to stay at the JW in BKK for 2 nights. Couldn't be assed bidding etc so just emailed them and some sweet chick did the rest.

Cost me HK$500 a night ++ (minus $100 off total)

The Marriott at Pattaya is not up to usual standards (small basic rooms) but they do serve the coldest beer by the pool! 8)

Gus,

I talked to a guy who stayed at the Peninsula last week. He booked a double and they charged him a extra night room rate ($150USD) when he brought a girl back.

Gus,

I talked to a guy who stayed at the Peninsula last week. He booked a double and they charged him a extra night room rate ($150USD) when he brought a girl back.

And I bitch when I have to pay 600 Baht for a room !!!!

Gus,

I find that hard to believe. Not doubting what you post, but rather the information you were given.

I've stayed there and no problem.

Again, if you can walk the walk........ but seriously, I don't know where they find these people who pay "extras". Even if something was mentioned, I am sure that a few works would resolve matters. 5* hotels are not in the habit of fucking off their guests.

BigDUSA, That 150USD sounds a bit out of order, before I book I'll check it out with the Peninsula beforehand by e-mail, their customer service is usually pretty good.

I was originally thinking of staying 1 night after going to Samui so it wasn't paramount about bringing a guest back, but 2 nights thats too long without a nice TG.

Rgds

BigDUSA,

I sent an e-mail to The Peninsula Hotel asking what their policy was regarding guests, here is what they said.

"Kindly be advised that there is no additional charge for to bring a joiner"

I have it in black and white so I think I may treat myself to The River Retreat Package, whether I upgrade from the 'S' Class Merc to a Roller for the airport transfer I am not sure [smiley=grin.gif]

Couldn't be assed bidding etc so just emailed them and some sweet chick did the rest.

Cost me HK$500 a night ++ (minus $100 off total)

Roppongi who did you email , priceline or JW Marriott itself.? thanks.

from marriott website;

Check-in Date: January 23, 2004 (Friday)  

Check-out Date: January 26, 2004 (Monday)   Number of Guests: 2  

QUALITY ROOM 90.00 (USD) per night  Rate Rules    

LEISURE RATE * DELUXE ROOM (1 KING OR 2 TWINS) ROOM ONLY RATE * EXCLUDES TAX/SVCS

The rate for this room changes on 01/25/2004

125.00 (USD) per night  Rate Rules    

think i will book this at $90.00. couldn't get much better than that. just will go somewhere else for my final night.

Floyd,

Thanks for the update. I guess I should stop believing everthing BG and fellow travellors tell me. ;D ;D ;D

34 days

• 1 month later...

I frankly dont understand why a 5* is so necessary in bangkok anyway.

The 4* hotels you get through priceline are great.

In Sukhumvit...you most likely get the Novotel Lotus.

On the river you often get the Marriott bangkok resort and spa which except for not being "close to the action" I would choose over the Peninsula anyday.

Of course if you get the Peninsula...respect there is a two way street...be discreet.  Of course nowadays, priceline is putting 5* guests in the shangri-la on the river.

TinTin

I tried almost the same days Jan 23-27.

Could not get any Sukhumvit 5* I bid as high as $75 USD. This was two weeks ago.

I went back to $50 and got Marriott Bangkok Resort Spa (Riverside - Silom)

This works out great for me, I like the river and the resort. The location is a plus for me.

5* hotels are not in the habit of fucking off their guests.

Depends who the guest is. Never had a problem myself, but I don't think sex tourists are top of their list of most desirable patrons.

be seeing you

monkeyman

My wife used to be able to get me the JW Marriot for 64.00 a night Total through her employer a Very large Asian Import Export Company she is no longer there so no more deals

If you know someboby that has a corporate account 64.00 Tax included is a very good price.