Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

This is correct, my friend emailed to tell me it is now one person - one cart -m compulsory. Along with your caddie and green fee. It will set you back close to 3500 Baht. So, many expats are giving the place a miss and going else where. During high season it is not uncommon to see higher green fees at most of the golf courses, but at this place, they had announced they were going skint - so decided to raise all the fees. :clueless

I have heard they have increased rates by a huge amount and that it is compulsory to have a cart,one person one cart.Anyone know what's going on there ?

A lot has been said lately about the new "Phoenix Gold" Golf Course. In the name of research I participated in a four-ball last week to see what all the fuss is about.

Aside from new carts, new caddie uniforms and new pin flags it seemed to be the same ol' Phoenix to me. We started on the Ocean course which I was told had been renovated. I didn't notice much of any difference from the old Ocean course except for a bit more ground under repair. If changes have been made they are quite subtle. Our second nine was the Mountain course and it hadn't changed at all as far as I could see. On both courses there was loads of sand in the front of the bunkers and every one of our group had a ball that plugged. They couldn't roll to the bottom of the traps on a bet.

They are using drink coupons at the drink stations but only when the girl behind the counter decides she wants to do so. One member of our party paid cash for drinks and she happily took his baht, saying nothing about coupons. Another in our group tried to buy a drink with cash and was told he had to purchase 100 baht worth of coupons. He did so and gave me the rest of his, shaking his head. When I tried to use them to buy a round at another station the girl took one coupon and the rest in baht. None of it made any sense. On the upside we were able to get rid of all un-used coupons in the restaurant at the end of the round.

One plus is that there's hardly anyone playing the course. We didn't encounter another group until near the end of our round.

And the 3500 baht for the green fee, cart, and caddie are the weekday rates. Expect to pay more for weekend rounds. To me the place is not worth the money.

Thank you Slobert and Mick I have since learnt that the fees for members have doubled plus no one can walk,lots of guys walk for the exercise.They have also imposed a 200,000 baht transfer of membership from 20,000 yes you read that right 10 fold increase making membership worthless.I will not be playing there again,I believe there is a Facebook Phoenix protest group.

Well the land there must be worth a fortune.

I wonder if all the big expensive houses around there will hold their value if the course is in demise?

Edited by jacko

It is a nice coarse. There are a lot nicer coarses around though. If they try and charge the same as the nicer coarses they will have few customers. Now, someone want to go and explain that to the new Thai owners. Good luck.

It is a nice coarse. There are a lot nicer coarses around though. If they try and charge the same as the nicer coarses they will have few customers. Now, someone want to go and explain that to the new Thai owners. Good luck.

With the higher prices maybe the Japanese will flock there!

With the higher prices maybe the Japanese will flock there!

If the Japs and Koreans all go there then all the better...the last thing you want is to be in the group behind ....they can take almost 6-hours to play a round.

I always liked playing at Phoenix because it is so easy to get to and only 30 minutes away.

Walking the course is more important to me than the price as the exercise is one of the main reasons i play.....compulsory buggy is just another rip off.

But to double the price...it is not worth it...the course is good... but nothing special.

Still ..the good news is that there are another 20- odd courses nearby and reduced green fees if you are a PSC member.

Sorry.... but Phoenix is now off my must play again list.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest news the consumer people have declared that what Phoenix have done to members is illegal.They have asked the owner to come and answer to them.Meanwhile there is a large group of golfers members and none members boycotting the course.

Latest news the consumer people have declared that what Phoenix have done to members is illegal.They have asked the owner to come and answer to them.Meanwhile there is a large group of golfers members and none members boycotting the course.

Yeah, my golfing pal said the place was off the list!