Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Songkran 2014, what dates?

Songkran dates for Pattaya every year are April 13-19 (officially), but sometimes the water throwing starts early on the 12th.

Anywhere else in Thailand will have less days of Songkran.

Red days on my calendar are 14 and 15th April

13-15 Apr is Songkran, 16 Apr is an additional Public Holiday because the 13th is on a Sunday. The actual holiday period for the Thais will start on the afternoon of Fri 11th. The celebrations (if that's what they can be called) in Pattaya go on to the 19th.

Damn, and I'm planning on being there for my birthday which happens to be on April 15th. Is there something wrong with being there that time of the year?

As long as you don;t mind getting wet. Sonkran can be fun. Weather is warm. Just bring plastic baggies for your phone, wallet.

As long as you don;t mind getting wet. Sonkran can be fun. Weather is warm. Just bring plastic baggies for your phone, wallet.

... or, the alternative view, ...

I would guess that when they book a week or two in Pattaya. They don't have a clue on what is going on during Songkran ... Like many others on this forum. I've experienced songkran and I avoid Thailand during this period.

Edited by CheshireTom
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I used to use a condom to wrap my phone, very effective, but nowadays that doesn't work so well, bigger phones and touchscreens..

Coming from the U.S., an Otter Box [brand name] case may be a good bet. My Samsung 3G I am using to do this post was fully immersed and survived in an Otter Box. Not an intentional test!

Edited by nkped

It is not so much putting your wallet and phone in baggies. It is the crazy people spraying you with ICE cold water. A little bit of it was ok but as it went along it just got to be so annoying. Could not go anywhere as you would be soaking wet. And not all of the water is the cleanest. Did Songkran once and that is enough for me.

I used to stay in my room during Songkran until I finally broke down and bought the big water gun and joined the masses in the streets...lots of fun..kinda if you can't beat them...join them....I don't shoot anyone unless they have a gun too ...I do target Thai women in the back with cold water....biggest pain is storing the water gun for a year...

Reminds me of visiting movie theaters in the states...bring the biggest gun and shoot first if challenged :hijack

• Downvote 1

When it comes to Songkran, I’m a member of the ‘did that once, never again club’. My policy is to avoid being in Thailand 10 to 20 April. However, if you enjoy being subjected to large quantities of water of dubious origin, go for it.

... or, the alternative view, ...

LOL. Thank GOD the nitpicker spends so much time going through my old posts. For the first time visitor it might be FUN to endure a week of getting wet.

Thanks, its no good even if you get there in the middle of the week, taxi from bkk to pattaya once took me 7 hours plus due to hold ups, so unless you arrive before the festivities and go home after them, that week is a no no. Dread to think how early you would have to leave to get to swampy if you had a check in at, say, 18.00 hrs. Traffic all backed up in Pattaya, ok when you got out of town I expect.

I'm thinking of a trip for whole of April.

Never done and not really interested in songkran.

Hear a load of people run out of town during that week, where so people go.

is Philippines a good option, rough costs ? anywhere else people like to go ?

Pattaya is full of people whose only goal during this time is to cause as much damage as possible. i,e. Aim for the face with the water cannons (always banned but still very common) or blast motorcycles to see if they can knock you over… ALL great fun for the wankers.

Once you get out of Pattaya, the fun gets back to the traditional Thailand version. Water is thrown, but it is all in fun. I was out in the country once and it is an entirely different experience. To get away from the insanity, you could try to be in small towns..anywhere but Pattaya.

• 2 months later...

I was there and thougt it started earlier. I was there from april 10 -17. April 13-15 were very wet. But all girls told me to stay to april 18 and 19 as these were the big party days in pattaya. The days before were fun, nice and wet. Getting warm water over you was nice. Getting iced water was a bit colder. It really was a wonderfull experience for me. To be repeated next year.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9300 met Tapatalk

Edited by benijsbeer