Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Availability of Smartphone replicas

Hi Folks,

I was wondering if anyone can confirm the availability of replica smartphones. With the improvements being made with Chinese chipset technology, I have seen some really impressive "replica`s of iphone and galaxy S series handsets. On one trip I was in tukcom and witnessed staff on one stall sticking apple logo`s onto the first generation ipad, so I`m assuming that I will be able to buy a phone there no problem, I don't mind buying replicas as long as I know it before hand, so looking for a trustworthy trader in replica/fake mobiles.

A word of warning - Bazzap from this board just returned from Pattaya where he purchased a copy Galaxy S2 as he dropped his genuine one, which stopped working. He rang me yesterday and was complaining that the reception was really tinny and the phone in general was a piece of crap. So much so that he has already ordered a new genuine one.

Lots of copy smartphones available in pattaya, Tukcom probably best place but most of the malls also have stalls selling them. As Kuranda says best to get some idea of quality if you can from someone who has one before you buy as they don't want to know you if you have a problem after. most bg have copy phones so you could ask one or two.

Just an idea, you might get more bang for your buck buying a second hand original, always people wanting to upgrade.

I have purchased a copy before, never again.

Regards

And you would not run the very small risk of it being seized by customs when you got home.

Villaman

Another option is to buy a cheap phone. They are all made in China and are regular brands for China. Probably sold in the millions back home. Cheap but work ok where as copies rarely work very good or for very long. I have bought a couple of these cheap phones and they work ok here in Aus.

• Upvote 1

I don't know how much these copies cost, but you could consider the Nokia 520 series. In my opinion - supported by some sites that review phones - this is the best value in smart phones.

It was introduced last year and I bought one in the US for about $100. It was locked to Tmobile, and I unlocked it using an Internet site for $10 I think (posted the procedure at that time).

I had intended it to be a second phone to use in Thailand, but I soon abandoned my Samsung, which cost about 4 times as much, and started using the Nokia.

I think it costs between 4000 and 5000 in Tukcom.

The only issue you may have is that it is a Windows phone. I have no problem with it but some people seem to - there's a small learning curve as with all things new.

There are less apps than with Android, but Windows versions of Whatsapp, Viber and Evernote exist, and these are the ones I really need. And the camera is far superior to Samsung's.

Can anyone explain to me as to why on earth one would want a replica phone; something that you will rely on to work ?! I get the attraction of fake watches etc, which are little more than items of jewellry nowadays anyway! But mobile phones ....

Can anyone explain to me as to why on earth one would want a replica phone; something that you will rely on to work ?! I get the attraction of fake watches etc, which are little more than items of jewellry nowadays anyway! But mobile phones ....

Possibly the same reason people wear fake watches and copy shirts....... ....save money and pose a bit!

I am guessing that the fake phones work reliably enough, as a phone.

As Pope said, hope springs eternal in the human breast.

Without that you wouldn't be seeing all the women who flock to Pattaya in search of a farang, or a huge payday. And so many other delicious things.

Nothing wrong with looking for a good copy of a phone. It is their own money and they calculate how much risk they are willing to take. If, for a fraction of the original price, they can get away with a passable handset - maybe that's a gamble worth taking.

I have taken some gambles myself. The worst being a Chinese scooter I bought here. Worst piece of machinery I have probably ever bought. I managed to get my money's worth out of it and dumped it, but I learned also - no more Chinese machinery until the mainstream accepts them.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

just returned from Bangkok & Pattaya and purchased a replica Samsung Galaxy Note 3 smartphone. Brought it back into Australia with no issues and have been using it with no issues. The phone was unlocked.

Bought it from the MBK centre in Bangkok. Lots of phone dealers on the 4 th floor and strangely enough all fixed prices on display although they are negotiable as it turns out. My phone with cover and extra battery was 5000B.

The shop seller was telling me these copies are made in Sth Korea and not China and better quality. Maybe he is correct or telling me a lie, but you can't tell. I've a feeling these phones are actually made by Samsung in Korea but using cheaper components and less strict quality control and cater for the Asian market who can't afford the genuine phones.

My experience is to leave them alone.

1. Quality crap.

2. Found out that the phone would not work on my cell phone providers sim when I got it home.

I realise that there are a lot of phones out there and some that I have seen the girls with seem the part but take them out side Thailand and it could be a different story.

Just get a Huawei.

or go to

http://www.tinydeal.com/

Solve all your problems.

They are all made in two or three factories anyway.

This isnt a big secret: the factories will make you a phone and badge it with your brand.

They are all the same.

I have a 'kogan' and every BG I meet thinks it is a Samsung.

$100

Cannot beleive grown men worried about a phone. geez.

Edited by hugobronson

Don't waste your money on a copy smartphone they are all a pile of shite....! , leave your real smartphone at home and buy a cheapo " normal " phone while in Thailand or any where else for that matter , if it gets lost / stolen or stuck up a bar girls c**t you are not going to worry too much about it are you....! :thumbup

Edited by Nightrider

After my bad experience with a Pattaya copy I started looking at the on line sales sites at home. There were a lot of people buying phones direct from China and selling them with a short guarantee but at an excellent price for the features that I got. I bought one and when I had questions on operation I did get immediate response. The phone came with a wide rage of accessories and was guaranteed to work on all local frequencies so I really could not lose.

That was two years ago. At the time I didnt even know that I wanted a smart phone but I know now that I will never go back. I have an el cheapo phone and at the airport I swap the sim cards and leave my home phone on and in the safe in my room should there be any urgent messages. My smart phone does have a twin sim facility but I never use it. Losing one sim would be bad but losing two a disaster. Leaving my home sim in the safe in an old phone is fine by me.

The morral of the story is to look on the Internet at home fiorst for a copy rather than taking a chance in Thailand.

After my bad experience with a Pattaya copy I started looking at the on line sales sites at home. There were a lot of people buying phones direct from China and selling them with a short guarantee but at an excellent price for the features that I got. I bought one and when I had questions on operation I did get immediate response. The phone came with a wide rage of accessories and was guaranteed to work on all local frequencies so I really could not lose.

That was two years ago. At the time I didnt even know that I wanted a smart phone but I know now that I will never go back. I have an el cheapo phone and at the airport I swap the sim cards and leave my home phone on and in the safe in my room should there be any urgent messages. My smart phone does have a twin sim facility but I never use it. Losing one sim would be bad but losing two a disaster. Leaving my home sim in the safe in an old phone is fine by me.

The morral of the story is to look on the Internet at home fiorst for a copy rather than taking a chance in Thailand.

So you take your home SIM out of a smart phone and put it into a cheap one for the duration of your time in LOS.

I have often wondered if your SIM was assigned to 3G, and your plan was a 3G plan, and then you put it into a 2G cheapo phone, whether it would work OK.

Don't waste your money on a copy smartphone they are all a pile of shite....!

I disagree.

I am guessing that the fake phones work reliably enough, as a phone.

I agree.

Maybe I would not use them for my work in my country, but for your need in Thailand they are perfect. You can currently get in Tukcom phones "similar" to S3 or S4 for 1'500-2'500 baht, compared to about 12'000 for S3 and 16'000 for S4... :rolleyes:

Most of these phones are not a "copy" or a "fake phone". They are real phones, with no brand, and are rather similar to famous S3 or S4 (and iPhone probably too). They are sold in some Asia's countries under brand names you probably never heard about. They usualy have less memory/storage than Samsung ones, and the camera lens is not as good as the "reference" ones, but they certainly are enough for most BGs, most tourists and even most expats ;)