Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Foreigners in Thailand will soon be able to apply for a 10 year visa.

THought this might be of interest.

From Thai Visa site

BANGKOK:-- Foreigners in Thailand will soon be able to apply for a 10 year visa.

First proposed in November 2016 as a way to promote Thailand as a medical and wellness hub, Thaivisa understands the 10 year visa was this week formally approved by the Prime Minister.

The new Non O X visa will be available to anyone who is over 50 years of age and from one of the 14 countries listed below.

Applicants will need to have a minimum 3 million baht in a Thai bank account, or a combination of 1.8 million baht in the bank and income not less than 1.2 million baht.

The 3 million baht must be kept in the bank as a deposit for a period of one year but can be reduced to 1.5 million under certain conditions.

Criminal background checks are required on all applicants, who must also have valid medical insurance from a Thai insurance company for the duration of the visa.

Foreigners are not permitted to work while staying in Thailand on the visa and 90 day reports are still required.

The visa will cost 10,000 baht and will be valid for 5 years, before being renewed for a further 5 years.

The new Non O X visa will be available from 11 August, with an official announcement expected imminently.

The Non O X visa does not replace the current annual retirement extension.

Thailand 10 year visa in brief:

- Over 50s only
- 14 nationalities eligible: Japan, Australia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Switzerland, Sweden, Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Canada and United States of America.
- Minimum 3 million baht in Thai bank account
- or combination of 1. 8 million in the bank and income not less than 1.2 million
- 3 million baht must be kept in account for one year, can be reduced to 1.5 million under certain conditions
- Criminal background check from country you hold passport
- Health insurance provided by Thai company, Outpatient coverage minimum 40,000 baht, Inpatient coverage not less than 100,000 thousand baht
- Not permitted to work
- Unlimited entry valid for 5 years
- Fee is 10,000 baht
- 90 day report still required.
- Visa issued in two 5 year periods

So for the extra hoops you have to jump through,all it saves you is a trip to Jomtien once a year to

renew your extension.

I think i will stay with the old system.

• Upvote 4

So for the extra hoops you have to jump through, all it saves you is a trip to Jomtien once a year to

renew your extension.

+ 1 or more trip(s) for you re-entry-permit(s) ;)

Still not worth it IMHO...

• Upvote 1

I thi nk theyre getting a bit worried now as a lot more tourists etc are shifting to Cambodia and Vietnam where Visas are a bit easier to get

I don't think they are worried about anything... but are always prepared to chase more business.

This does not appear to be aimed at those already living here on retirement extensions..... although that is something I personally would very much like to replace. With something less onerous! As it is a Visa, I believe, like the multiple tourist, you will have to obtain it in your home country. It requires you to tie up 3 million baht, and the conditions allowing you to spend some of that are undefined. Also medical insurance from a Thai company, for 5 years. How on earth does someone currently living in the UK obtain that, and why would he/she prior to being granted a Visa? The same applies to putting £71,000 in a Thai bank account. Medical insurance is usually based on 1 year renewals.

If they turn up with an extension that is valid for 10 years, or 2x5 years, yes I will pay more for that , 10,000 baht is about the same as 5x1900.) And usually I pay more each year for Re-Entry permits. I am unlikely to want to tie up a small fortune for 5 years, but could live with putting it in an account to obtain a 5 year extension/visa, but want to be able to start living off it immediately.

I am afraid this could be another duck egg, like the multiple TR visa!

But let us wait and see. I was told the previous rumour of this was all BS!

Edited by jacko
  • Upvote 1

I thi nk theyre getting a bit worried now as a lot more tourists etc are shifting to Cambodia and Vietnam where Visas are a bit easier to get

Vietnam and Cambodia have the right idea. You just pay some money and you're in for a year. Retired people, especially, are usually there to spend money and goof around, not to work. Why give them a hard time?

• Upvote 4

The Philippines has a great system, similar financial requirements to LOS but it is in a bank term deposit so you cant use it. The good news is that it is a lifetime residency, no reporting, no re-entry permits. I have had mine for 7 years and never been to an immigration office.

• Upvote 1

The Philippines has a great system, similar financial requirements to LOS but it is in a bank term deposit so you cant use it. The good news is that it is a lifetime residency, no reporting, no re-entry permits. I have had mine for 7 years and never been to an immigration office.

With all due respect to you, I found nothing in the Phillippines that would make me want to live there. I admit there are some beautifull places around the coast but the sheer amount of corruption in the country shocked me. I was attracted to it in the early 80's due to the amazing amount of natural Gold in the ground (Apart from Yamashita's gold) and that did appeal to me, but after 3 days panning and pulling a few ounces of gold, the thugs arrived with their guns and bullshit demanding everything.

If youve found your little place over there that makes you happy then fair do's to ya and well done.

I wont even go back to the place any more, especially with that raving loony Duerte in charge.

I dont think he'll last long though.

• 1 month later...

If it still applies,a 1 year Business visa is available after you have already entered Cambodia. You don't need to have a business.I know for a fact it was available a few years ago.It was ~$280 IIRC.

Last year I applied for and received a 10 year visa for India. No strings attached or hoops to jump through.

India. That sounds interesting. I'll have to look into that. I'd like to see it some day.

India. That sounds interesting. I'll have to look into that. I'd like to see it some day.

You won't be wanting 10 years of it trust me!

• Upvote 2

You won't be wanting 10 years of it trust me!

Probably not. Anyway, it looks as though each entry on a tourist visa can only be for six months. The visa itself Is good for for five or ten? years.

Probably not. Anyway, it looks as though each entry on a tourist visa can only be for six months. The visa itself Is good for for five or ten? years.

I did a couple of trips for work and there and then decided I would never be visiting for tourism purposes. My sister went to Goa and spoke well of it. I believe it is a good place to visit for the younger back-packer types, which isn't me in the slightest.

Last year I applied for and received a 10 year visa for India. No strings attached or hoops to jump through.

Hi 4 Wheels . What sort of Visa was that and how can I get more information about it !!

If I could afford 3 million this visa would not be my to do list, still having to report every 90 days :wacko:

10 million which with the rate of exchange is about 238,000 pounds. Oh yes sure I have that under my mattress NOT and as for medical insurance in Thai I am 70 years old, tell me a company that would take me on. If the Thai government want to encourage people to settle here then get rid of the 10 million , go for a weaker currency something that is hitting us all hard with the current rate of exchange and do away with that stupid 90 day reporting especially when one has been granted a one year visa. So stupid here, they want more tourists and ExPats and they do everything to keep them away

Don't think this is for tourists but those of us who come and live here in the first place

Hi 4 Wheels . What sort of Visa was that and how can I get more information about it !!

Someone responded to your message saying about India and no strings attached. Here it is all hoops and strings attatched. Don't know who dreams up these things but I know they have no idea about encouraging people to come here. It is just all about money

10 million which with the rate of exchange is about 238,000 pounds. Oh yes sure I have that under my mattress NOT and as for medical insurance in Thai I am 70 years old, tell me a company that would take me on. If the Thai government want to encourage people to settle here then get rid of the 10 million , go for a weaker currency something that is hitting us all hard with the current rate of exchange and do away with that stupid 90 day reporting especially when one has been granted a one year visa. So stupid here, they want more tourists and ExPats and they do everything to keep them away

You may be able to get medical insurance from the guy at the Expats Club. He has been able to source some suppliers that will consider older guys.

As to the £238,000.. you are on your own!

What makes you think they want more Expats....? Not much money in them as far as immigration are concerned, Just 1900 baht p.a. for quite a bit of processing.

Edited by jacko

You may be able to get medical insurance from the guy at the Expats Club. He has been able to source some suppliers that will consider older guys.

As to the £238,000.. you are on your own!

Good thing you qualified the latter. I am looking for a sugar something or other.

So much to see and do there. From desert to Himalayas and literally everything in between. Amazing beaches and the most sultry women IMO. Otherwise,they recently made a single entry visa very east to obtain.

These folks were great answering questions. Very polite and efficient. They handle all aspects of obtaining the visa. You MUST start the process with these folks.

https://www.in.ckgs.us/visa/tourist-visa

Duration & Validity
  • Tourist Visa is generally issued with multiple entry endorsement.
  • Validity of Tourist Visa commences from the date of visa issuance and NOT from date of entry into India.
  • The Period of stay for each visit is maximum up to 6 (SIX) months from the date of entry.
  • Tourist Visa validity could be upto Ten years.

I picked mine up in Atlanta. And had lunch at The Varsity!

Edited by 4wheels