Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Dining at The Avenue (Updated Jan. 10, 2019

Excellent, informative and I will take a look soon.

Thanks for posting this EP.

I seem to remember the sign from my last visit a few months ago... I assumed it was advertising spaces in the part of the Avenue that has now been cleared and stalls moved upstairs. I wonder how those moved stalls are getting on, and how they feel about being moved to a quieter space, and different food stalls being opened downstairs...

Thanks for posting this EP.

I seem to remember the sign from my last visit a few months ago... I assumed it was advertising spaces in the part of the Avenue that has now been cleared and stalls moved upstairs. I wonder how those moved stalls are getting on, and how they feel about being moved to a quieter space, and different food stalls being opened downstairs...

I pass through there several times a week and was wondering the same; upstairs is more cramped and hardly visible if you're on the ground floor so I would imagine that some of the customers just passing through would not even know the stalls were now on the second floor. Seems that would seriously cut into their casual business. But I do see people coming down the escalator food in hand---possibly people who work in the complex.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Part of the back section of The Avenue that was previously filled with vendors' stalls has been boarded off for about six weeks. I heard that it would be converted into a food court, but that didn't make much sense to me as there is already an open-air "food court" in the front section close to 2nd Road. The food stalls that were formerly in the back area have been moved to the second level of The Avenue.

Last night I caught a glimpse inside the boarded area. Whatever the plans, it doesn't seem like much progress has been made.

IMG_00231.jpg

The rainy weather has worked against the open-air front section, but it seems to be increasingly popular on clear nights.

Evil

:devil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 1

It would appear they have too many Kitchens in Pattaya but with the cheap labor if you can get an average $10 USD per customer there is strong profit and with the popularity of Pattaya I see more profit in a Kitchen than selling tourist crap or a beer bar.

With a beer bar you need just one big night to pay the bills for the month but a kitchen it is a slow grind.

In the USA the labor cost, regulations, and taxes make any type of Kitchen a fools dream.

Evil you eat out allot what's your opinion on the profitability of most places you visit?

Evil you eat out allot what's your opinion on the profitability of most places you visit?

I have no way to judge the profitability of Pattaya restaurants other than what owners have told me. The biggest factor is rent and key money, which has strangled many start-ups and even long-running businesses in Pattaya. If the owner got a reasonable deal, he has at least a chance of making money. Otherwise, queue up the theme song from Mission: Impossible.

Pattaya suffers from massive over-establishment of bars and restaurants. There are just too many places in relation to the number of potential customers. The cut-throat competition keeps prices low, which is good for customers but extremely tough for business owners. Profit margins are razor-thin in Pattaya.

From my own restaurant visits and what I've seen while walking past, there are very few restaurants that have a lot of customers. Kiss and the Beer Garden are busy on occasion, as are the Thai mega restaurants like Mum Aroi. The food court at Central Festival often has a lot of people. Otherwise, I have seldom seen Pattaya restaurants more than one-third full.

Evil

:devil

Edited by Evil Penevil

From my own restaurant visits and what I've seen while walking past, there are very few restaurants that have a lot of customers. Kiss and the Beer Garden are busy on occasion, as are the Thai mega restaurants like Mum Aroi. The food court at Central Festival often has a lot of people. Otherwise, I have seldom seen Pattaya restaurants more than one-third full.

I would add Beefeater to the busy list.

• 5 weeks later...

Work continues on what will be a food court in the back section of The Avenue. I took the pics below two nights ago; this morning the ventilation units were gone, presumably installed. A half-dozen pickup trucks with construction tools or supplies were parked outside and work was going on full blast inside.

IMG_0069.jpg.404f1956eb24aed295e0a4eab2e

IMG_0068.jpg.56f0570c0a1823879f7e4106aee

Last week it had looked like this:

IMG_0191.jpg.98d72e67d85d32378faf72fa5b5

Evil

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...
IMG_20181231_164711.jpg.033ff7e64dc435446801dd6a45d1a7f0.jpg

Food World has been open about three weeks now, but it doesn't appear to be off to a rousing start. The total space is huge, probably bigger than the food court at Central Festival, but I never seen more than a handful of customers when I passed by, whether morning, afternoon or evening.  It's open between 10 a.m. and 10.00 p.m.

IMG_20181231_164609.jpg.afe7de7463d6fd74e1b83c38b75fe7b2.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg.9c2a6b074e850ee7ca0528170dcb7bb7.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg.799117fdfcf9ae4c8a034ee57453c9d1.jpg

IMG_20181231_164638.jpg.114c923a2f625fb07a126ef410c2bb84.jpg

The food on offer is what you'd expect at a Thai food court, mostly inexpensive Thai dishes, but at least one vendor has Western-style spaghetti.

IMG_0268.jpg.663446af69733a1abe0d348d8b9952a8.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg.d919350fd3a02108912bf5fe45c955ff.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg.d1f6911902a29cc1ccceb48507344488.jpg

IMG_20181231_162809.jpg.5987877b473c9cfbdf498fe71946a9b8.jpg

I've eaten there twice and wasn't impressed with the food, not at all.  I had the boat noodles with beef at 55 baht ...

IMG_20181231_162821.jpg.9521304583876904c1a93c935d77f9ab.jpg

and the fried rice with pork, also 55 baht.

IMG_0258.jpg.f29ffd874c244f1b4b0665dcea375216.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg.5f315e995b9b098dbffb66383749c80f.jpg

Both I would rank at mediocre as best.  Boat noodles are supposed to have a strong, rich flavor due to the pig's blood and various herbs and spices used in the soup, but the bowl I had was very bland.  It tasted like instant noodles out of a package.  The fried rice was almost flavorless and quite oily with very little pork.  I make better at home myself. The small food stalls that had previously occupied the rear section of The Avenue were much better, as are the stall in the open-air mid-section.

Bottom line:  Unless things improve dramatically,  I won't be back.

Evil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So this large place is in the Avenue? It is enclosed and has AC? 

2 hours ago, jacko said:

So this large place is in the Avenue? It is enclosed and has AC? 

Yes on all three.

• Thanks 1