Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Applying for METV - Embassy verify tickets & employment certificate?

Hi guys, 

I'm under 50 years old and I currently spend around 6 months per year in Thailand. I work in consulting in my home country, and I'm able to support this way of life (not more, not less).

As you might have heard it's getting harder to be granted Single Entry Tourist Visas from adjacent countries. And - to be straight - I'm not affluent enough that a Elite Visa for 500 k is reasonable.

(Just go give you some background). 

I'm about to apply for my first Multiple Entry Visa, as this will (probably) make my 6 month stay a bit more hassle free. I do meet the criteria of bank statements and current employment. However, I'm unable to produce an employment contract that says "which day you return to work in your home country" and I'm unable to produce a flight ticket to thailand (I will visit two other countries before making my first entry). 

So, I'm not proud - but: If I "fake" a document stating I will return to work at xxx-date (behind the original contract showing previous/current employment and "fake" an old air ticket (switching dates....) - will they call/e-mail my employer and/or do they have a system that they check the validty of flight tickets? 

To clarify the employment issue: my employer hires me on a project-basis and does not have any problem with stating that "mr john doe was hired at date-xxx with the salary of xxx" but he's not able to produce a document stating "he will return to full employment at date xxx". 

Here's the specifics from my embassy that I'm unable to meet: 

An employment certificate in English from an employer mentions the applicant's job position, salary, the purpose of visiting Thailand, and the date when the applicant is expected to return to work. For self-employed, Please submit the business license or business registration indicating the applicant's name. For a student, please submit an original certificate of student status in English from the school, college, or university. In the case of unemployment, you are not eligible to apply for this visa.

Copy of reservation tickets, showing arrival and departure dates for Thailand.

It's getting so complicated these days you'll probably be better off trying Thai Visa Forum.

I used to get a yearly ME O type TV based on retirement but they don't do them any more. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. But the way things are going I don't think I'll be spending as much time in Pattaya as I used to. Nor as much money.

I believe you can get a SETV for 60 days on the internet and extend it for 30 days in Jomtien. You can maybe do that twice a year.

But a friend of mine is a computer whizz kid and he could not manage it when he investigated the procedure. You need printers and scanners etc to do it, so it's not straight forward.

Thanks Yogi! 

Reading my post again, perhaps I wrote to much. The essence of my question is: do "we know" if thai embassies check the validity of the documents.

I guess things concerning citizenship and similar is scrutinized heavily, how it is with visas I'm not so sure. 

32 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

Thanks Yogi! 

Reading my post again, perhaps I wrote to much. The essence of my question is: do "we know" if thai embassies check the validity of the documents.

I guess things concerning citizenship and similar is scrutinized heavily, how it is with visas I'm not so sure. 

When I went to the London Embassy for mine they did not check the validity any of my documents. They just took them at face value and gave them back to me.

I had written proof of a pension, a bank account statement, the completed application form, the money and my passport. It was easy. But who knows now, that's why I suggested Thai Visa, they got some visa advisers on there. But it still sounds complicated.

But I dunno what tricks they're going to pull now to make it more awkward for us. The don't seem to want us in Thailand any more, they prefer the big spending Indians, Chinese and Russians.

6 hours ago, aldriglikvid said:

Thanks Yogi! 

I don't know. My personal feelings are that if you forge documents, you open yourself up to be caught doing it, and likely that will affect all Thailand Visa applications. The days of assuming you can live in Thailand while pretending to be a tourist are no more.

It might help if you can trim the length of time you stay in Thailand to just below 6 months in a year. 

Do you have any other circumstances that could assist in Visa application, for example a wife in Thailand?

The easiest might be, if you need the 6 month to be continuous, enter with a single Tourist Visa, do a single extension, then travel to a nearby country for another TV. Re-enter over land (exclude Poipet).  Visit the Thai Visa forum as suggested to determine which place will issue you another TV, some will only issue one, but I am unsure whether it is one from that Embassy, or only one allowed that year from wherever. 

If you have no attachments to Thailand, consider some time in perhaps Vietnam. 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/

Edited by jacko

I know London is not Sweden, but I applied for, and got, a METV from London back in Sept. Applying online was a pain, often because of my own misunderstanding of their website.

From memory I had to upload the previous 6 month bank statements showing 5k gbp balance each month (mine didnt, only 800gbp for 3 months, then 15k gbp for 3 months), proof of accomodation (agoda booking for the first week, cancelled after printing and scanning), copy of ticket (my departure date was 5.5 months after arrival), copy of my passport, copy of proof that I was resident in the country I was applying from (same copy of passport attached again), and a passport type picture. I dont recall having to supply any evidence of employment or retirement. Presumably your embassy is different. 

Visa was applied for online, payment made online, then receipt printed out, and this and passport sent to London. Returned 4 days later with Visa attached.

Not sure if this is any help to the op, but might help someone, sometime...

• Upvote 1