Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

can anyone recommend a good book?

I recommend a book called 'Shinju' by the author Laura Jon Rowland.  There are a few books in the series.  They are murder mysteries set in Edo (Tokyo) Japan in the year 1689.  I generally do not care for mysteries all that much, but I really did like these books. A previous poster mentioned Shogun, which I also liked, and this brought to mind the book Shinju which is much less well known. Sticking with the asian theme, I enjoyed in the science fiction category the series by Raymond Feist and Janny Wurts starting the book 'Daughter of the Empire'.

There are so many other authors that I enjoy. Moving to horror, I like Ann Rice.  For some reason I have found these to be good books for reading on the flight to Thailand. Of course, I love a good vampire story.  She has, however, also written other gothic horror stories.  In addition, under the name Anne Rampling and A.N. Roquelaure published erotic (S & M) fiction. These were not too bad if that is your thing!

I could go on but that, I suspect, is enough. Oh, but I will mention that a previous poster listed the book 'money number one' but did not know the author.  The author is Neil Hutchison.  The book was pretty good.  Too bad I read it on the way BACK from my first trip to Pattaya.  

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like true stories but I usually stay away from this type

They usually seem to come across as a little self promoting. However , I just recently read - FAITH OF MY FATHERS by JOHN MCCAIN and would recommend it.

I never had  a favorable impression of Mccain and was a little hesitant to read . It is actually about two thirds about his grandfather and father(both Admirals) and one third about his POW experience in Vietnam.

• 2 weeks later...

anything by chris moore,who lives in bangkok and is published very regularly and available in any asia books outlets.definately worth a try.also morgan mcfinn's 'year of living stupidly' ,'all over the map' and 'a night at the bamboo bar' are worth a shot. i saw there's some tip's for the warren fellows book but sandra gregory's is just as good and definately more tragic.

Just finished reading John Grisham's "A Painted House". A charming novel about life in rural Arkansas in about 1950.

I enjoyed it so much that I have bought a pile of his books to read during my 3 week trip commencing 12 May.

Have any of you observed the Thai girl's reading materials ?. In November I bought my last girl several Thai woman's magazines. The content seemed mainly to be comic book stuff and I've never seen any girl reading what seems to be a serious book. This seems to be borne out by the fact that as far as a know there are only two proper bookshops in Pattaya.

I wondered about tg's and books too when I was there. They did not seem to use books at all.

When I asked my LT tg, she just said "I don't read books" (She speaks fairly fluent English).

A bit hard for me to understand how anybody can live without books as I would go nuts without that source of input.  I guess the girls from the higher levels of society in Thailand are more eager readers.

Whaler

Check our my webpage for listings of a couple of hundred good books.  Most written about Thailand and other locations in Asia.

http://www.geocities.com/armyairlift/Kenan...ndLat/links.htm

IF you are interested on books about Pattaya try:

TIPPAWAN:  The Joy of Math

and

AFTERMATH

Both are written by Jesse Gump.  Math is the female lead charactor in these two books.

Ken Bower

kenandlat@sbcglobal.net

• 2 weeks later...

Pull up my webpage:

http://www.geocities.com/armyairlift/Kenan...ndLat/links.htm

There are about 200 Books on Thailand listed.

I espacially enjoyed:

TIPPAWAN: THE JOY OF MATH and

AFTERMATH

both by Jesse F. Gump.

(Math is the lead female character in his books)

Also always enjoyed Dean Barrett's works.  He is a long time expat who has lived more years in Bangkok and Hong Kong that most members here have lived.  You can buy his books at:

http://www.archer-books.com/webcart/prod6.htm

Ken Bower

kenandlat@sbcglobal.net

• 2 weeks later...

There's one called "Tin Tin in Thailand" a blag of the famous Herge series which is very limited in its avialability.

There's also one (non Thai) called "The Wrong Boy" by Willy Russel, which is highly commended regardless of subject metter.

And another, as yet unreleased called "Last Seen in Bangkok" by an unknown author. Please contact your publisher and ask him to publish it

Cheers

Anything by Clive Cussler, Ken Follett. Ideal for holiday reading IMHO as they entertain, and do not require too much thought. :)

Karma Sultra  :( ;) Big C sells it.  :D

• 1 month later...

You might like "the hungry caterpillar."

Apparently when asked what his fave book was, Bush Jr stated this was it.

It's getting a bit old now though. It was first published when Georgie was 17/18.

God bless America!

The Summons by John Grisham

A law professor chasing his own tail.

Also

Corruption of blood by Robert K. Tanebaum.

The Kennedy killing revisted.

Great bookshop at the Emporium in Bkk on about the 4th floor. Big selection of books. I got 2 paperbacks for the plane journey; Four Blind Mice by James Patterson and Fire Ice by Clive Cussler. 20% Savings on each. They would have cost me double the price if I bought them in Amsterdam at Schipol.  ;D

• 4 weeks later...

I also enjoy reading Clive Cussler novels - easy reading, good to relax to and agree, Private Dancer, Money Number are also good reads.  

On my last trip to Pattaya, found a book called "Working With The Thais, A Guide to Managing in Thailand", by Henry Holmes and Suchada Tangtongtavy at a book store on Soi Post Office.  I don't work in Thailand or plan to (like most of us), but found it gave some interesting information on Thailand's hierarchical social structure, social circles, kreng jai,..... and the 13 smiles that Thais have.  Shit, I only thought they had 3 - for when I paid too much, an OK amount or too little.

I would be curious if anyone has read this book and what they think about it.  No, I don't think you can apply too much of this book to dealing with Thai "working girls"!  That seems to be covered pretty good on the board.    

• 4 weeks later...

"Bangkok 8"  by John Burdett is a good murder  mystery.  Told from a Thai detectives perspective, it has plenty of action, twists and turns.  It  describes the city, bar action and Thai way of thinking/living versus falangs with some pretty clever humor.  Just got done reading it, only problem is, as it just came out,  so it's only in hard copy for a few more months.

I've got to agree with the Clive Cussler recomendations.  Especially for those who like adventure/suspense novels.  They are very easy to read and what people refer to as a "page turner".  I have read all his books, but if I had to recomend my favorite it would be "Inca Gold".

Zeus