Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Finaly plucked up the courage to post :fingers

Due to the really crap but well paying job I have am thinking of going to BKK for the weekend. I will be flying from Europe and I think it will help make my life just that little bit more pleasant.

If you think I am off my head please say so but an intelligent reason as to why you think this would be greatly appreciated.

If it is possible I think I might go once a month.

Cheers

LIA

Think you need an extra day or two off work

If you leave Friday after work you will arrive Saturday. Then some airlines have a flight around noon on Sunday getting you back to Euroland Sunday evening.

Taking 2 days off could give you 3 nights in BKK...

I am currently working in Frankfurt Germany and I can get the first flight out the Frankfurt after work which is at 20:55 and I arive at BKK 13:05

Then coming back I will get the 23:55 back and arrive back in Frankfurt at 05:35 restd and ready for work.

I have been to NYC for the weekend and I know it's further to BKK but BKK will have a nicer flight back. The flights I have listed are direct with Thai and will probably crazy expensive.

Up to you of course, but even following Dingo's plan you'd probably have less than 24 hours to really spend in LOS, especially when you factor in transfers, checking in 2 hours before the return flight, etc. Somehow I doubt you'd be in much state to really enjoy it after a gruelling 11 hour flight. Could you wangle a slightly longer trip initially (throw a sickie or something) to see if it's really for you, and sus out the possibilities for weekend breaks? Sorry if this seems a bit negative, but good luck whatever you decide. :beer

Sorry if this seems a bit negative, but good luck whatever you decide. 

More than more than happy to hear from people. I have been reading the boards for about 4 months now and most people do try to be helpfull.

The flights I quoted where direct FRA to BKK not been brave enough to look up the price yet :beer

Cheaper surely to visit a few FKK Clubs. :rolleyes:

Oh sure it's cheaper but I want to get out of town and get the job and place out of my hair. Just thought of it as an idea. But not had any good comments yet so probably not a very good idea. <_>

I live in Philadelphia, Pa and have taken a long weekend in Sydney, Australia. I was gone 4 days and had a great time. If I could get a flight to BKK for what I paid to fly to Sydney ($500). I would go in a New York minute.

I live in Philadelphia, Pa and have taken a long weekend in Sydney, Australia. I was gone 4 days and had a great time. If I could get a flight to BKK for what I paid to fly to Sydney ($500). I would go in a New York minute.

Thank goodness I knew I was not going mad :rolleyes:

I think I will start looking in to the prices and let people know how bad it is.

I've done a trip from London with a 3 night stay. Out on a Thursday night with BA, and back at around midnight on the Monday. Arrived at Heathrow on the Tuesday morning. Shower, shit and a shave at the airport; off to Paddington where I collected the suit I'd left from the left luggage. Changed in the bogs and in to the city centre for a 9.30am meeting.

All in, I was in Thailand from about 3.30pm on Friday afternoon and back at the airport just before 10.pm on Monday night. The flight was £390 last May (I see its £420 for April/May this year) and spent about £550 while I was there. I spent more per day than usual because I wanted to cram in as much as possible. Add in a few other expenses and it worked out to about £320 for each day I was over there. Well worth it, but I couldn.t afford to make a habit of it.

The big problem was when I got back I was a total fucking zombie for a couple of days, and I don't normally suffer jet lag. It took until the following weekend before I got it out of the system.

I'd say do it. But as has been said before try and take at least one extra day off so you a minimum of 2 nights over there.

Good luck!!

when i was in frankfurt (actually heildelburg) i'ld drive drive over mto the czech boarder and into pilsner and do some partying, it was a 6hr drive each way, i'ld get off duty at 1630 head out get there about 1130, shag for an 1- 1/2hrs and be back to work at 0800. if i could of afforted a plane ticket to LOS i would ofdone it even if for a few hrs. i'ld check into having alimo service pick you up that provides tg's, don't waste any time!!

best of luck

cheers

i could tell you of other trips you'ld never belive

LIA,

Excluding Jetlag which can be overcome if you sleep well on both of your filghts:

I'm not sure that this could done be too often, but in about 40 hours you can have a hell of a time in the Banger. Upon arrival maybe a traditional Thai massage would be considered to get you relaxed and prepared for the upcoming mongering. Eden Club, NEP and maybe Lolittas may the best places to spend your time (as it will be short). Maybe a final message will get you relaxed enough for your flight back to Frankfurt. I did a very quick fare search and you are looking at about 1,100 Euros (you can probably find better). If you make this trip a report would be appreciated.

Best of luck.

Bill

Just do it.

Many years ago when I was on big money a mate and I tried to do Melbourne --London for a weekend to see the Spurs play. Couldn't pull it off, but would have been a hoot.

I've done BKK--FKK and while I couldn't recommend Lufthansa, its a direct flight, so they shouldn'e lose your luggage like they did mine. But for sure try to incorporate it into a long weekend.

I've been having second thoughts about this, and if you're really keen and you can spare the dosh, maybe you should have your "One Night In Bangkok" after all. It would obviously need a bit of preparation to save precious time over there (ie pre-booking your hotel, transfers, maybe even getting your currency in advance) but I'm sure everyone here will help with the details. If you landed just after lunch on the Saturday, you could be checked into a hotel at Sukhumvit around 3.30, leaving plenty of time to rest and get cleaned up before starting to explore the NEP around 7 or 8pm. Back to the hotel about midnight, make use of Room Service and the "Do not Disturb" notice, and check out dazed but happy around 8.00pm Sunday. Heck, I think I'm talking myself into trying it... :D

Cheers to everyone who replied

Good to hear what everyone thinks and the ideas they have.

I have decided that it just has to be done. :beer

When working in Amsterdam I did around the world in a weekend. Although it was a total waste of money it was a great laugh. :unsure:

Not to worried about the jet lag as I survived the trip above with little problem.

One question I do have is it worth me going the Frequent flyer club of Thai or Lufthansa? I know it can make big difference where you join.

So any advice you guys and girls have is greatly appreciated.

2nd weekend in Feb is looking like my first trip over for the weekend :D

You need to pick one airline and try and fly them every time you travel. Check out their frequent flyer club and see which one fits you.

I try and fly United from Philly to everywhere. I fly over 50K miles per year and I'm a premier executive. I get double miles every time I fly and I get to use star alliance clubs when I fly for free. With double miles I pay for two and the third one is free. My frequent flyer miles are good on all the star alliance partners.

I understand that I have to pick on airline alliance and fly it as much as possible.

But I joined the BA FF in Holland and I get more miles than people who registered in the UK.

Just wondered if I should register here in Germany with Lufthansa or in thailand with Thai. Although someone did say that the Thai FF was not on the same level as the other Star Alliance members.

• 2 weeks later...

This one cumes late...

In the good old days you should have picked the airline in an alliance that you use most. But these days you might want to look at their rules.

You need tons of points to get into the Silver/Gold level with Lufthansa, IF you live in Germany. And Lufthansa don't give you that many miles anymore if you fly discounted monkey class. Think Q or higher is OK but I may be wrong.

Thai have the lowest level to Silver/Gold, and only 50,000 for gold. AND the welcum gift is a return upgrade.

Whatever you do, if you start flying to BKK monthly, go for a card. Go for the card of the airline you will fly most if you want to be considered upgraded. BUT, if it's Lufthansa I think it is more than 100,000 for gold, so pretty hard to get.

I would consider Thai.

All your answers are here... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...
Finaly plucked up the courage to post :grin

Due to the really crap but well paying job I have am thinking of going to BKK for the weekend. I will be flying from Europe and I think it will help make my life just that little bit more pleasant.

If you think I am off my head please say so but an intelligent reason as to why you think this would be greatly appreciated.

If it is possible I think I might go once a month.

Cheers

LIA

Do it man.

I once flew to New York on Concorde had a meal and flew back to UK

Used my ex wifes plat visa.

Cost me later in assett setlement but I got a great buzz from it.

Also done Rio Brazil for 3 day all round trip. Totally knackering but good fun