Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Airline baggage allowance re golf clubs

Hi guys,

I am planning an October golfing trip to LOS and will be flying with Thai from heathrow. Has anyone any experience of taking clubs on Thai ?

I haven't had a problem but have a baggage allowance of 30kgs due to my frequent flyer card however the 2 newbies with me will only have 20kgs allowance. I have been advised there is a one of fee of $75 if you go over the 20kgs but have heard other horrow stories of charges by the kilo if you are over the allowance. None of the stories have been about Thai but you can never be too careful.

Any info would be much appreciated

Stoace,

I cannot specifically advise about Thai Air but would assume that all airlines treat golf clubs the same way.

Singapore, Qantas and BA do not even weigh the clubs and they are not included in your baggage allowance. Because of this I always stuff as much as I can into the golf bag as it is an easy way of getting more through if you are close to the limit on your normal baggage.

:bj2

Steveo

The allowance is per bag, not in total baggage weights. Your clubs will be fine, just do us Airline Employees a favor and don't pack extra stuff in them

Intl weights are higher than domestic..

Edited by Greg_B

I know that at least on a few occasions my clubs have been MUCH more than 15 KGs.

Brought my leather tour bag once by mistake, and packed a bunch into the outer bag as well to save room and protect the clubs. Last year also packed a stone carving from northenr Thailand into the bag. Never had a problem.

Hub

Thai told me that the rules are:

1 normal bag

14 clubs

1 par of shoes

12 balls

In total max. 15 kg.

I don’t know if anybody check that.

Was that with no additional cost ??

I have now been told if you go over the 20kgs baggage allowance it will cost $75 (and I assume that is one way).

I know that at least on a few occasions my clubs have been MUCH more than 15 KGs.

Brought my leather tour bag once by mistake, and packed a bunch into the outer bag as well to save room and protect the clubs. Last year also packed a stone carving from northenr Thailand into the bag. Never had a problem.

Hub

Was that with no charge Hub? and with Thai?

There is no definitive answer to this as all airlines apply different rules. Steveo quotes the rules for BA/Qantas - it seems they carry a golf bag for free with no weight limitations.

Other examples being....

SAA - will carry a golf bag for free up to 15KG, anything over that is part of your baggage allowance. However your ticket/their computer system will still show you as having a 20K baggage allowance, assuming economy, and if you don't present a golf bag at check in then 20K is all you get.

SIA - if you contact them beforehand they will give you an additional 10K for "sports equipment". Whilst your ticket still shows 20K they alter their computer system to show that you have a 30K allowance which you still get if you show up without a bag. I've used this a couple of times when I knew I was going to be seriously over my allowance.

Quite simply the best route is to check with Thai airways or, better still, assuming you booked through an agent, get them to earn their comission and do it for you.

Cheers

Pie

P.S. Greg, if I'm reading you right you are suggesting that allowances are by the bag and not by weight. That applies to all flights to/from the states but all other flights are by weight not bag for ordinary luggage and for golf clubs it varies enormously. I have to think I misunderstood your post given you work for an airline !!

Cheers all

My usual agent has advised that there is a one off charge of $75 if the baggage allowance is exceeded irrespective of by how much. This basically works out as £70 extra for the clubs for the trip.

As I know things aren't always as they seem I thought I would try and get some first hand experience as the last thing I want to do is find out there is a by the Kg charge and it is loads of money !!

Thanks anyway for the info.

Hi stoace iam not sure with thai but most airlines i think will let you take golf clubs,skis any general sports equipment though skis not much use in thailand, and it does not come under your normal weight limit as long as you contact them first and let them know otherwise they might charge you i would phone thai myself to find out dont rely on an agent you booked it with as some lazy agents will just say yes that is fine without checking good luck :beer

Guys , you're making this harder than it actually is.

From the Thai Airways website:

Passengers in all classes of service, from First to Economy, are allowed two pieces of luggage. The sum of the three dimensions (length + height + width) for each piece cannot exceed 158 cm. (62 inches) and the weight of each piece cannot exceed 32 kgs. (70 lbs).

Now, check 1 bag, golf clubs and carry on 1 bag.. :beer

http://www.thaiair.com/Travel_Destination_...eck_in_faqs.htm

Guys , you're making this harder than it actually is.

From the Thai Airways website:

Passengers in all classes of service, from First to Economy, are allowed two pieces of luggage. The sum of the three dimensions (length + height + width) for each piece cannot exceed 158 cm. (62 inches) and the weight of each piece cannot exceed 32 kgs. (70 lbs).

Now, check 1 bag, golf clubs and carry on 1 bag..

http://www.thaiair.com/Travel_Destination_...eck_in_faqs.htm

Greg,

Lest any inexperienced travellers are innocently misled, I feel I should point out that you ommitted something VERY important with your extract from the Thai air website.....

"For travel To/from Canada and the U.S.A., the following regulations apply:

Passengers in all classes of service, from First to Economy, are allowed two pieces of luggage. The sum of the three dimensions (length + height + width) for each piece cannot exceed 158 cm. (62 inches) and the weight of each piece cannot exceed 32 kgs. (70 lbs)."

Stoace is presumably not travelling from the USA or Canada so these rules apply to him and all others that fly from anywhere other than North America (also from Thai website)....

"The luggage allowance for Royal First Class is 40 kg. (88 lbs.); for Royal Executive Class passengers: 30 kg. (66 lbs.); and for Economy Class passengers: 20 kg. (44 lb.)."

There are additional allowances for Royal Orchid Plus silver/gold members.

Basically your check in allowance is by number of bags to/from N. America but by WEIGHT to/from ALL other destinations.

Cheers

Pie

Pie...

Well, sit in the corner and call me a dumbass, after researching this I was shocked to find the difference in worldwide policies. I had no idea that the rest of the world was different than the US/Canada.

You're fucked, leave those damn clubs at home. Sorry, as an Airline Employee, Ive always wanted to say that.

I do stand corrected and appreciate your tact in pointing that out, Pie

:chogdee2

Pie / Greg

This is the problem - I am OK because I am a Royal Orchid member hence have 32-25kgs allowance in total however my two friends will be stuffed on 20kgs !!

The website also says there is a charge for exceeding this but helpfully doesn't advise what the charge will be :rolleyes: I have emailed them and will have to ring them monday - I will post what if anything I find out :chogdee2

Sorry to be late in responding to this post but I just got back from Thailand. I usually negotiate an arrangement when we have a group travelling with golf clubs so I am not sure what rule they will apply for an individual golfer. I will give them a call either today or tomorrow and get this clarified.

Most of our golf groups travel with Eva. Although Eva have the same baggage allowance, they are usually pretty flexible unless they have a full cargo load on the Combi.

I will post the Thai response as soon as I have it.

Doghaus

Guys,

for info I just got this from Thai's UK website which answers the question for me.........

Sporting Equipment

Golfing

One set of golfing equipment shall consist of one golf bag containing a maximum of 14 golf clubs, 12 golf balls and a pair of golf shoes.

Golfing equipment may be included in passengers checked baggage allowance. If the baggage weight exceeds the allotted amount, a special charge may apply.

A flat fee is established for the first 15 kilos on the following conditions:

USD35 - (or equivalent currency) for travel wholly within Europe, within Asia, within South America or within the South West Pacific.

USD70 – (or equivalent) for travel other than those mentioned above.

If the weight exceeds 15 kilos, normal excess baggage charges will apply.

Kindly note that for domestic services, a charge equal to 6 kilos of excess baggage will be levied for articles weighing up to 15 kilos. Any excess weight over 15 kilos will be charged at the normal excess rate.

Such charges are only applicable when the actual weight is not included in the normal checked baggage allowance. If included and in excess, the normal excess baggage rate or special charge, whichever is less, shall apply.

Don't know why I didn't look here before :clap2

Stoace

This fits with what we were told last year. I was offered the option of paying $70 per golfer for golf club carriage. We declined the offer and our customers are informed that this charge maybe applied at check in. In reality, the airline is flexible and they may waive the charge unless the flight is very busy.

Seems that nothing has changed so I wont bother to call them.

Doghaus

One set of golfing equipment shall consist of one golf bag containing a maximum of 14 golf clubs, 12 golf balls and a pair of golf shoes.

12 golf balls :D

Hardly worth dragging the clubs all the way there for one round. :bow

Cheers

Pie

Pie - :D :bow :bow more like 9 holes for me mate :beer

ps After all this effort trying to find out the baggage limits I have just reserved 3 tickets (London to Phuket - direct to BKK) for £550 which includes a special offer of 30kgs allowance on economy :frustrated :frustrated :frustrated

Anyway thanks all for the info its been very informative :D

When I lived in Korea and travelled here on Thai I always brought my clubs and never had any problems. I only brought ONE golf travel bag and put all my clothes, etc inside. It always seemed VERY heavy but they never said anything to me.

I don't think you'll have any problems, especially if it's just your clubs in the travel bag.

Cheers......gp :D