Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Retirement Visa

I have just received my shiny new 1 year retirement visa. When researching the necessary hoops to jump through, I found the info a bit lacking, even on ThaiVisa.com. so for anyone interested here's my experience.

I started off by going to Immigration in Pattaya to check what the requirements are. Here's the list -

You must be 50 or over.

You must have 800,000 baht in a Thai bank.

You must have a current Non-Immigrant "O" visa in your passport.

Usually you are advised to get the Non Im "O" in your home country but as I was already in Pattaya and did not want to go all the way back home I asked about getting one somewhere nearer. Nobody new if this could be done.

I decided to give Singapore a try so flew down there and filled in the form at the Thai Embassy. They asked to see proof of 800,000 baht in a Thai bank which fortunately I had with me. A letter from the bank and my passbook and a photocopy of each page of the passbook. That proved to be sufficient and next day I had my Non Im "O". They will not issue multi-entry visas in Singapore but three months was sufficient for my needs. I believe Penang is also good for this and it was my standby if Singapore crapped out.

Back in Pattaya I fronted Immigration with my Non Im "O", letter from the bank, copy of all pages of my bank passbook, and a passport photo. There has to be a gotcha of course and this time it was a medical certificate. They didn't tell me about that when I first asked but no worries. Off to a local clinic and back in 10 minutes with the requisite piece of paper.

After filling in a few forms they told me to come back the next day. Turned up bright and early and was handed my passport complete with 1 year visa. Mission accomplished!

Actually all the visa is, is a rubber stamp extending the Non-Im "O" for 1 year. You must report (with the appropriate form) your current address every 90 days and if you leave the country you must get a re-entry permit. Multiple re-entry permits are available. At the end of the year another 1 year extension can be obtained without leaving the country. You must once again show that you have 800,000 baht in a Thai bank, get a medical certificate and apply before the 1 year extension expires.

The fees are 1950 baht for the extension and 3,000 baht for the multi-re-entry permit.

I must say this is the easiest Visa I've ever had. I used to get Business Visas for one year but they were a major hassle, took weeks to come through, had to be applied for in Bangkok, cost a fortune and needed additional smoozing by my lawyer to get them done.

If you are over 50 and want to stay long term then this Visa is a no-brainer.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and if you are under 50 years of age and have 3 million baht in a thai bank account you are elligible for the same visa

If that is accurate then it is very good to know

now all I need is to get 3Million Baht

Anyone know a good bank to rob :D :cussing :D

So let me get it straight.

I'm under 50 and thinking about staying in Thailand for a longer time (a few years, maybe longer)

Can I apply for a Non-Immigrant "O" visa in my home country (Holland) and get a 1 year visa in Thailand if I match the requirements (3.000.000 bath in a Thai bank and a Medical Certificate from a local Thai clinic)?

Is it also possible to get a work permit if you have a Non-Immigrant "O" or 1 year visa or is the 1 year visa just for retirement?

Say I get bored after a while and want to get some kind of job, what are the possibilities an requirements (visa-wise) for that?

I assume I could also get from my embassy some sort of verification of my retirement income that would substitute for the 800,000 baht in a Thai bank?

And what about the so-called police report from my home country? Has that been done away with?

Rex

I applied for 3 visas because i work in a law office and in the last 6 weeks have had had 3 different customers who required this visa (so i did all the paperwork for them) etc etc

FreddieJ You require a non imigrant b visa for a work permit but if you have a non im o visa it can be changed in thailand in bangkok easy enough.

The 3 million baht needs to have been transfered from a bank account outside of thailand (in your name) to a bank account in thailand in your name. We fill out some paperwork saying that you are thinking of investing in some property and you have the money to do so. You enter the country with a non o or b visa for 3 months and the thai government will extend that visa a further 9 months making the "1 year visa"

With a non im b visa you can apply for a work permit. For point of interest you can actually apply for a work permit with a tourist visa using a wp2 form however the actually work permit even if approved will not actually be issued to you until you have a non b visa in your passport.

Law office

Sometimes the kicker is the requirements for getting the O visa to begin with. In the past, I have had no trouble getting an multiple enty O Visa through the Thai Consul in Denver, Colorado. But now they have a new lady and she didn't seem to be as helpful. I tried the Thai Consul on Portland as I am only a short time away from returning to Thailand and she wanted proof that I owned property in Thailand. It may just be because I'm in a hurry now but it seems like the qualifications for getting the O Visa are getting more stringent at least here in the States!

Cheers

Edited by irishman

Mike,

I can't understand Jan in Denver not being helpful as Myself, Bacon, Tingtong, and one other board member who's name slips my mind have gotten the 1 Year O from her with out a hitch and she was quite helpful. As a matter of fact Mine was turned around in 48 hours

Also much easier to get the Retirement visa in Thailand but like peter said you need to have the 1 year o first and convert it. I went down with a guy that lives in the same place I do he was there at 8 AM on Soi 8 and had all the Doc's. Med check form Bank Book with Balance and a letter from the bank as well stating that the 800,000 was transferred in from out of the country As well as a filled out Application in and out 15 Min's with his Retirement Visa.

Mike,

I can't understand Jan in Denver not being helpful as Myself, Bacon, Tingtong, and one other board member who's name slips my mind have gotten the 1 Year O from her with out a hitch and she was quite helpful. As a matter of fact Mine was turned around in 48 hours

Also much easier to get the Retirement visa in Thailand but like peter said you need to have the 1 year o first and convert it. I went down with a guy that lives in the same place I do he was there at 8 AM on Soi 8 and had all the Doc's. Med check form Bank Book with Balance and a letter from the bank as well stating that the 800,000 was transferred in from out of the country As well as a filled out Application in and out 15 Min's with his Retirement Visa.

I think the other member you forgot was Raylene. :rolleyes: . Denver helped me a lot before. I thought Dawn and Jan were very helpful.

I got the retirement visa last April and it wasn't to bad. Only problem I had, was getting a letter from the bank, showing I had over 800K in it. Whole process to get it, was about 1 day. :D

May I ask along the same subject. Does it make any difference if you are married to a Thai lady? Could that play any part in getting an extended visa? I've been married to a Thai Lady for 4 years now, and we've been figuring in 5 -10 years moving back to Thailand permenantly. I'm only 40 now. Am I going to have to go through this every year thereafter?

Thanks,

Marcello

I got my retirement visa a few weeks ago and so long as you have the correct documentation, it is very straightforward. I obtained my medical certificate one day and I was 2nd in the queue at the Bank of Bangkok when it opened at 8.30 the following morning. I then had to return home (opposite direction) for a toilet emergency and even allowing for that I had my extension stamped in my passport by 10.30.

One point, though - the multi re-entry permit is 3,800 baht. Single re-entry permits are 1,000 baht. I have still to apply for this but will probably go for the multiple permit to avoid having to go reapply every time I want to take a break elsewhere.

Alan

What is the typical interest rate that the Thai banks give to Farangs on the 800,000 baht ? Could be an opportunity cost there.

Gordon

Edited by Gordon
May I ask along the same subject. Does it make any difference if you are married to a Thai lady? Could that play any part in getting an extended visa? I've been married to a Thai Lady for 4 years now, and we've been figuring in 5 -10 years moving back to Thailand permenantly. I'm only 40 now. Am I going to have to go through this every year thereafter?

Thanks,

Marcello

If you are married to a Thai lady, go to your Embassy and apply for a 3 month O Visa based on marriage. Call them to find out what docmentatin they require (Marriage certificate, maybe a certified translation in case you have married outside Thailand, the wife's ID card and / or Passport, ....)

Then have 400000 Bt transferred from abroad into a Thai Bank Account in your name, and go to Immigration to find out what documents they need to apply for a 1 Year extension. It takes about 2 month, and then you should have the extension.

Sunny

From what I hear it is 0% - but you get the option of taking it tax paid or tax free!!!

Bill,

Bangkok pays interest on my account not sure how much but it is under 1%

From your recommendation many months ago, Soi 7, I got my Non Im 'O' multiple entry visa through the Denver office. Jan was my contact. She was extremely helpful. My claim was processed and turned around the same day.

I got mine on June 28th. Nice stamp in my Passport.

(smiles)

From your recommendation many months ago, Soi 7, I got my Non Im 'O' multiple entry visa through the Denver office. Jan was my contact. She was extremely helpful. My claim was processed and turned around the same day.

Chris,

And all the Info that I gave to you I got from LARRYST so it is a domino effect of people helping people let's have a group hug :D

Immigration told me its better for me to go over to a marriage visa but then of course i have to show money in the bank as well as not having the control i need over the business, I refused it and I am sticking with my non imm b with work permit which i've had for 4 years now, no visa runs or anything :P (but 6000bht in tax to pay every month) :D

Immigration told me its better for me to go over to a marriage visa but then of course i have to show money in the bank as well as not having the control i need over the business, I refused it and I am sticking with my non imm b with work permit which i've had for 4 years now, no visa runs or anything biggrin.gif (but 6000bht in tax to pay every month)

So another rise in drink prices soon there Dave :D