Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Insurance in Pattaya?

I am not familiar with the Sunshine plan, but I do have the Diamond plan. I am satisfied with it. Later I will probably upgrade to the Platinum plan. When I paid the premium for the Diamond plan it cost me about 29,000 baht for 1 year. :rolleyes:

Granted living in thailand health insurance a must but read the fine print on the BUPA insurance carfefully. Family member recently had an operation with policy for surgeons charges of of max 50,000 baht, surgeon charged 26,000 baht but BUPA would only reimburse 21,000 because thats what they say their table on the cost of that type of procedure is . The operation was performed at Bangkok Pattaya a BUPA hospital. So just beware that whats on the policy is not necessarily what will be reimbursed.. This is from the farang BUPA rep not the hospital. Another little scam in their is that after paying the bill I informed the rep that I would probably upgrade the persons membership to cover any future ops, well & fine but if that same op is required it can only be paid out under the lower of the plans. So part of your body insured under one lan & part under the older plan, woulkdnt have known if we hadnt asked.

I'm 60 years old. I pay about 17,000 baht a year to NSI for my health insurance. There is no deductible. A couple months ago I had an emergency appendectomy at a private hospital in Loei. That hospital is not on NSI's direct pay list so I had to pay the bill myself. It totaled about 49,000 baht. I turned in the bill to NSI and they sent me a check for all but 15 baht. I don't know what the 15 baht was for but I didn't complain.

I'm 60 years old. I pay about 17,000 baht a year to NSI for my health insurance. There is no deductible. A couple months ago I had an emergency appendectomy at a private hospital in Loei. That hospital is not on NSI's direct pay list so I had to pay the bill myself. It totaled about 49,000 baht. I turned in the bill to NSI and they sent me a check for all but 15 baht. I don't know what the 15 baht was for but I didn't complain.

Gary, does NSI have a web site?

The guy I always dealt with has unfortunately moved to Phuket. You can still talk to the guy. His name is Paul Chow and his mobile number is 01 893 0396. The name of the company is PCD International. They are located on Pattaya third road. I now deal with a farang lady in that office. The office phone number is 038 422 825. The NSI web site is down for some reason. PCD can also sell you insurance from a number of different companies BUPA included.

The guy I always dealt with has unfortunately moved to Phuket. You can still talk to the guy. His name is Paul Chow and his mobile number is 01 893 0396. The name of the company is PCD International. They are located on Pattaya third road. I now deal with a farang lady in that office. The office phone number is 038 422 825. The NSI web site is down for some reason. PCD can also sell you insurance from a number of different companies BUPA included.

Gary, thanks for the info. I went into PCD International site. I'll go to there office in Pattaya and check it out. :clap1

You dont need insurance in Thailand.......just buy a buddha pendant, and wear the white string on your wrist.

Or better yet, get a thai tattoo, and it will protect you from gunshot wounds and stabbings......recommended by my friend who is a monk :beer

• 2 weeks later...

A friend just returned from Thailand. He attended the Expats meeting and said they were talking about insurance. He said insurance was difficult or impossible to get when you are over 65. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Jim

I saw that tatooing of the Thai's on TV and it looked very painful to me. Think it would be easier to purchase the insurance. :P

Yep I believe when Ting Tong got the tat, I met him the same day and I do believe he did say it was not a pleasant experience. OUCH!

ite - If you join BUPA before you are 65 you can pay every year until you are 70 to get cover, but I'm not sure they will cover you after that. But you need to check. They have a BUPA/Thai website and an office on Sukhumvit near the Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital.

Patrick

In Sept. I posted this reply from a BUPA rep who stated:

"The member who join before the age of 61 years, and continuously

insured, are guaranteed renewal for life. Members who join after the age of 61 years are guaranteed renewal up to age of 70 years inclusive."

http://tinyurl.com/7gh49

-redwood