Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Digital Camera help

I know there have been some recent threads about digital cameras but I'm still confused!

I'm looking for a new camera and this is worse than car shopping. The models change so fast I can't keep up. I'm hoping to get some information from the real photo experts!

Price? I don't know how much to spend. I will mostly be using this camera while on vacation a few weeks a year so it is hard for me to justify spending more than $300 US. That being said, I want something I will still be happy with in a years time.

Portability is important. I would prefer something I can carry in my pocket.

Video is important. I won't be taking long video shots, just short clips, but I would like something that can take quality video.

I'm also considering one of the smaller digital video cameras but how do they stack up for still shots?

Rechargable battery? I'm thinking I would rather just be able to buy a replacement battery at 7/11 if need be. That being said I have never owned a camera that I could recharge so maybe they are better.

Zoom? I would like to get as much zoom as possible but I don't want to be changing lenses.

The more I shop, the more confused I get.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Sailfast

Edited by Sailfast

The pictures I post are taken with a Casio Exilim Ex-Z57. It's a 5MP camera that I bought about 3 months ago. It's small enough to fit in pocket, has a LARGE viewing screen that quite bright (very important), on a single battery charge it can take 600 shots with the flash and it also can take video clips. Each digital camera uses some type of memory card. It will come with one that is not sufficient as it'll only hold about 15 pictures. You want video clips and those take up alot of memory. Buy a large memory card. Example, on Ebay a 1GB memory card for this Casio runs $40 - $50. This will let you take several hundred pics or large video files wihtout worrying about running out of memory.

steves digicams is THE BEST place for info...and make sure the batteries are rechargeable...this is from experience - on about my 3rd camera now...and having to replace those odd-shaped, hard to find, expensive batteries is a pain. the one i have now uses regular AA batteries......i have a charger and it goes with me when I travel and work on 110 or 220.....and uses the hotel room's electricity!

I bought one for my last trip to Pattaya in November, and took it back for a refund when I returned to the U.S., as I was not happy with it.

It was a Nikon that took great quality pictures, but it had 2 fatal flaws-

1 It was not rechargeable, and the battery's would only last 30-40 shots with flash.

2 There was a delay, up to 2 seconds when you pressed the button. This delay was not predicable, sometimes flashing immediately, other time taking several seconds, and on one occasion, not taking the picture at all.

Edited by billrussell

I agree with yselmike - check out steve's digicams for the best info and comparisons - http://www.steves-digicams.com/ -

My opinion is to get the Nikon 4600 (4 megapix & video w/o sound)or 5600 (5 megapix & video with sound). They are the smallest digital that use AA batteries - have a decent zoom and a great close-up ability and a built in lens cover. Somewhat slow between pictures but there is enough internal memory to shot 3-5 pictures before the camera backs up (if you need 3-5 pictures in 3 seconds). I have heard complaints about poor dark location performance - but I have had no trouble in dark rooms (I suspect poor camera setup by operator). The worst point is the flash - it is slow to recharge - the amount of time it takes depends on how much of the flash was used on the previous picture since it only uses the amount of flash need for each individual picture (not all or nothing like old flashes).

My choice for using AA is that I like to travel to several different places that often use a host of different electrical systems. I like to travel light and I am not keen on carrying a bunch of electrical adapters and hoping one is right for my location. Plus I don't like to get caught short on batteries at a crucial time (you would not believe how many pictures you can take of Ankor Wat in a single day) You can get cheap AA just about anywhere in the world that has electric and if you are going to a place that doesn't have electric it is a lot easier to stock up on AA then stocking up on expensive propritary rechargeables that other cameras use.

I keep AA rechargeables for use at home, when I travel I bring one or two sets of Lithium AA on a trip. The Lithium's are pricey but last 4-5 times as long as alkaline AA making them cheaper in the long run (plus they weight half as much). :clueless

Edited by drpaul854

as far as speed goes...sometimes it is the memory card and not the camera...get the biggest, fastes memory card you can get....or get a couple - they are cheap...i have one in the camera and 2 spares - 1 Gb each...and always carry spare batteries...especially in pats...as they go quick showiing the pics to the girls

Hi Sailfast,

I bought a Nikon 7900 (7.1 mega pixel) for my visit in November, may be more than you want to spend but I live in rip off Britain and I know the US is cheaper. I paid around £235 online but upgraded to a 1GB memory card which can hold 500 pics. Make sure you get it at least few days before you go, I got mine the day before and didnt have time to practice with it, 90% of photos were very good, some of the close up stuff not so good but I have mastered that now, video was pretty good as well and the camera is very compact fits in the pocket nice and easy.

Have a good one

Baz

Thanks to everyone for the time spent forwarding sites and sharing knowledge. It has been very helpful. I still have not settled on a camera but I am much closer than I was a couple of weeks ago.

Now, how about a Steves-bargirls.com :D :D :P :P ??

Sailfast

I am no camera expert and my answer may be kind of bias as I just purchased a Cannon SD 300 earlier this year. The Cannon SD 400 has a higher MP rating however I heard all in all for the money the SD 300 is a better camera. The really impressive thing I like about this camera is the size. It is so small I'm worried about losing it. And one of the big reasons I made this purchase was for my trip in January. :lol:

i have a fuji 601 ,it comes with its own charger stand ,so you just put it in there every night and the battery will never run out. about 4 minutes video ,or 999 pictures , charges up in thailand , no problem, i lost mine in thailand and would you believe it , but a girl handed it in to the hotel, its true. buy more memory cards ,smart media type for more video . £20 each. good quality .

Just to add note on rechargeable batteries--bought a charging unit that operates on 110-240V from Radio Shack (would need plug adapter)--charges up to 1K times on AA and AAA batteries which can also be purchased (claim is 15 minute recharge on 3 or 4 each at a time). Not expensive--think I got recharger and 4 or 5 of each for about $50). Just a thought.

Depending where you live in most cases digital cameras in Thailand cost more

(much more than in the usa where I live) or so slightly less (uk and western europe) that it's not worth it to have the potential warranty hassle.

Even the "International" warranty's offered in asia to foreign buyers are not

always honored in their home countries

• 2 weeks later...

Take a look at something like the Samsung U-CA5; http://www.samsungcamerausa.com/productdet...105&imagenav=03

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_review...gimax_uca5.html

Don't take the review too literally, as you're not looking for the nth degree and the camera is sold at quite a discount.

It's well within your budget and takes decent quality pictures and video with sound.

Certainly good enough for your needs and won't be obselete in a year.

If you decide against....

Some points to look out for. If the camera you choose cannot shoot video at 640x480 pixels at 30 frames per second with sound, don't bother. Anything with lesser specificaton(lower numbers) is hardly worth watching.

Next, some cameras with this specification use MPEG4 compression for video in order to store more video within a given space.

The Samsung utilises this; ie. 34 minutes of video on a 512MB card compared to less than 5 minutes on the Canon IXUS 50.

You can view the pictures and video on the camera screen, television or a computer. All the relevant leads are provided.

The camera is small and light.

You're unlikely to be disappointed.

I recommend the purchase of this fully compatible travel kit; http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/in...oduct_uid=92344

The mini tripod is really cool, spare battery useful and the case indispensable.

Had a few beers this week, walked into Jessops, and go a Praktica DCZ 5.3.

£90 + 512MB card + charger with 4 AA's.

Camera 5.0 MP

3X Opticl zoom 4X Digtl zoom

Macro mode

Built in flash

Sound & Video etc, loads of features.

I have had a Praktice SLR since the 70's . Dragged it around the Middle east and the States, never had a problem with it. my Daughter has taken it over now. They are good value for money and don't get the media coverage of the bigger brands.

( You won't find them reviewed in many Mag's).

Thanks for all advise, now I have capacity for 1399 pics ! :D

Edited by nidnoyham

Also available at a similar price(£99.99 is the Samsung A6, at http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Home.htm Cat. no. 5603251

The Samsung U-CA5 would be the pick for the US market, as it's around the same price there.

The remote control is available in Bangkok for 321 baht.

The Praktica puts a tick against all of the main buttons. Good value.

Edited by valentinoxxx

When I was shopping for a camera before my trip in October the final selling point for me was the optical zoom. I wanted a camera that took good close ups but also had a better than average zoom for the scenic shots.

I got the Panasonic DMC-LZ2 with 6x optical and 4x digital zoom. I couldn't believe the difference just looking through the zoom in the store. This is a fit in your pocket camera with good video quality as well.

• 1 month later...

Thanks again for all the suggestions

This is what I ended up with:

Olympus 720 SW $400.00 (must be a brand new model, was not even out on display at Bestbuy yet or on their website yet).

7.2 mp

Shockproof when dropped up to 5 ft

Waterproof to 10 feet

3x optical zoom

Video/audio

The camera's audio playback is very shitty, but that must be due to the fact it is waterproof.

also picked up a 1 gig card

Good for Songkran and my sailboat.

More than I wanted to spend, but it is very small and seems like it will take a beating. When I bought my last new camera I was not eager to bring it sailing. This one I won't worry about getting splashed or dropped on deck.

I have not really tried it out yet, but, if it turns out to be shit I will be sure to post again.

Later,

Sailfast

I'm no expert when it comes to digi cams but i've just invested in a VERY nice piece of kit recommended to me by a good friend who is an enthusiast.

do some searches for SONY DSC-T9. 6.0 Mega Pix, this camera would easy fit into your pocket, which is what I was looking for.

I've just got mine for my next trip for April, so have'nt sussed it out totally yet, but it sure looks like the dogs bollocks. :banghead