Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Retiring in the "correct" location

Howdy,

B4 I moved permanently to Ban Sakanam, Chiayaphum Thailand this year, I had travelled to many places on this planet. Due to my work, (including installing Satellite Communications and Microwave Commo Stations, and working five years as a Personnel Administrator for McDonnell Douglas), I have worked in, lived in or visited 39 countries and all 50 United States.

For the last 10 years or so of my working life, I started looking around for where I might retire. I considered Florida, Texas and California in the United States, Thailand, Philippines, Portugal, Greece (islands), Cyprus, and Macau. At the time of my retirement I'd already made 30 trips to Thailand and it seemed the logical place to retire as I love the people here and the way of life.

Now, I'm NOT the typical expat in that I don't drink or smoke and really never did whore around as some expats do "occasionally"....lol

As luck would have it, on my first trip to Thailand after I retired, I met my present wife, (Jan 1995) and by Sept, we were married. We moved to San Antonio Texas and then Yuma AZ, then returned to San Antonio spending 10 years living in the U.S. B4 moving permanently back to Chiayaphum on my 36th visit to Thailand.

Truthfully, I could NOT have moved here even two years ago because there was not the "infastructure" in place for me to have enjoyed life here on a permanent basis.

But now, with the advent of having a mall in town that includes Tesco-Lotus, having Foodland here now, having many ADSL internet cafes available, and our village (Ban Sakanam) having reliable electricity, running water etc. it has become "quite livable".

In fact, I wouldn't think of living anywhere else. Now, that said, we do retirement a little different than most expats w/Thai wives. We spend about two weeks/month in Chiayaphum and travel throughout Thailand/Asia at will the other two weeks of every month. (Just returned from Christmas Shopping in Singapore) and we spend time each month in Bangkok, Udon Thani, Korat, Pattaya, and other locations at will.

I guess it took me so long (36 trips) to Thailand to make up my mind to actually retire here mostly because I knew Bangkok was NOT an option for retirement (love Thailand/hate Bangkok) and Pattaya Beach, where I spent the majority of the first 35 trips, also does not offer the lifestyle I wanted for my retirement years.

Sure would love to hear from other expats, who like me, decided to retire in Isaan. Would love to hear what steered them to that decision.

Ken Bower

Chiayaphum Thailand

http://www.mgnewman.com/kenlat/

Good to hear you made the move and are happy in your new town. Where is it and how big is the town?

We live in the small village of Ban Sakanam, about 12 km from downtown Chiayaphum. While Chiayaphum province has a total population of over 1,000,000 people making it one of the largest provinces in population, the capital is somewhat small. It just got a mall 3 years ago and just added Tesco-Lotus Dept. store last year. (it is doing a boom business btw, always overpacked).

Chiayaphum is 1 1/2 hours drive NNW of Korat or 1 1/2 hours drive SW of Khon Kaen, in the heart of Isaan. Almost everyone in the province is employed in the rice farm business. My wife and all of her brothers and sisters have adjoining rice farms, but they are ALL farmed by one sister and brother-in-law. One of her brothers moved to Udon Thani province and has a water buffalo and cow farm, another brother has his own rice and tapioca farm near Ubon, one sister lives up in Sakonnakorn, and her other sister not in the farming business lives with us and is married to a brit who is visiting here now from London for seven weeks. We get on very well and I really enjoy having him around to speak English with and have someone to watch all the NFL and BNA games with (even though I occasionally have to struggle through a soccer (fake football) game in return.

I do not think I could ever be happy living in Bangkok, even though I really enjoy visiting there a couple days/month, nor in Pattaya full time, but really am enjoying living in the "real" Thailand.

With us now having a phone line in at the house, allowing us to have computer hookup right here at home, and having UBC Platinum CCTV, along with a source of unending book loans, I have plenty of "activity" to fill each day here, without dealing with the hoards of people, traffic, smog, noise of Bangkok and Pattaya.

Our village, Ban Sakanam or Chiayaphum, Village II, has at best 100 families, and the largest of the 9 villages in our "barrio" has about 300+ families. We "socialize" with almost all the neighbors on a daily basis, and I like everyone in our neighborhood. All are hard working families, just working the fields for their existance.

In my 36 trips to Thailand, I'm glad Chiayaphum finally got the infastructore necessary for us to really enjoy life here (i.e. mall, Foodland, high speed internet cafes, a Danish Restaurant and a new American/Thai Restaurant that just opened next door to it, and just enough stores in downtown to provide us with our meager needs).

Retirement life is so much more fulfilling and enjoyable here than where I lived in the U.S. (that would include Lafayette Indiana where I was born and raised for 18 years, Denver Colorado, Ft. Walton Beach FL, Alamogordo NM, Kokomo IN, Dover DE, Glendora CA, Sierra Vista AZ, Springfield VA, Westminster CA, Fountain Valley CA, W. Covina CA, San Antonio Texas, Yuma AZ etc).

I feel I'm home to stay here.

Ken Bower

Chiayaphum Thailand

Ken,

Sounds like you've really hit that happy medium! Most people never find it, consider yourself lucky.

Seems you've spent some time in CA. I'm originally from Michigan but now from Long Beach, CA.

Cheers,

Mark

Yes, I have lived in SoCal during my lifetime.

First visited SoCal in the 1950's and thought it was Shangri-la back then. Then moved briefly to Glendora and Culver City while in the military, and spent some time at Ft. Ord while in Army Basic training.

Immediately upon retiring from the Army in Feb 1975, I moved to Westminster CA for a year, then into our new house in Fountain Valley CA until 1978, then to W. Covina, and Montebello, then Santa Ana for short periods of time B4 being transferred by the AAA to San Antonio Texas in 1981.

Returned to Fountain Valley and Irvine for short periods of time after I returned from 5 years in Saudi Arabia, while working for McDonnell Douglas in the late 1980's. Then lived in San Marcos for 3 years (1988-1991) while working at Tri City Medical Center in Vista/Carlsbad/Oceanside CA.

As all my kids/grandkids/great grandson live in SoCal, (son in Costa Mesa, daughters in Anaheim, Buena Park, and Oceanside, and granddaughter and great grandson in Fountain Valley, I do know Orange and San Diego Co. well. Would probably live there if it were possible on our retirement pay but all the info we streamed through indicated that it is impossible to live in Orange or San Diego Counties for less than $68,000/yr. and as I am nearing age 70 and my wife hasn't worked since age 21, we just cannot afford to live there.

And I truely believe that I am happier living here in Chiayaphum than I would ever be living in SoCal with all it's urban problems.

Ken/Rattana Bower

Chiayaphum Thailand

Always good to get reports from ex-pats who are living elsewhere in Thailand. I don't plan on making Pattaya my permanent home and will start making trips to other parts of Thailand to see where I would like to settle permanently.

I'm not sure whether I'd like to live in a village until I become reasonably fluent in Thai, which at present looks like being a long, hard struggle. :lol:

Half the battle is that I forget half the words I come across, especially those that sound similar with only the tone or a short vowel rather than a long vowel to differentiate between them.

Alan

Ken,

Sounds like you have everything you need. I'll be retiring myself in about 8 months, but I'm a little bit younger, at 54. I still don't know where to live, though. I've thought about the USA, or Panama, Belize, Mexico, etc. Thailand would probably be the most fun, though, and the least expensive. But where in Thailand? Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, Koh Samui, Issan? I'm used to having all the modern conveniences at my fingertips (high spped internet, 500 channel digital tv, shopping mall around the corner, sports car in the garage, etc.). So, I'm not sure how much I want to rough it. I suppose I could do without the TV, but the internet seems essential. I'm hoping to find somewhere to live where I can have DSL serevice, at least.

Rex

Rex,

They have ADSL available here, as well as Satellite ISP coverage IF you are willing to pay for it.

As time is what I have the most of and $$$ is what I have the least of, I chose to just deal with only having dial-up but then I rarely use the computer now for anything more than reading and answering e-mails so I find dial-up totally sufficient for my needs.

I had 500 channels available in San Antonio Texas B4 I moved here but seldom found any more channels of interest than I do here with UBC Platinum ( at a greatly reduced price from what I had btw).

I have a homephone line and a cell phone so I can call worldwide with reception far better than I ever dreamed when I started seriously considering living way out here in the deep boondocks.

And the best part of all is that IF I wake up in the morning and feel a need for socializing with other farangs, I can be in Bangkok in 5-6 hours or Pattaya in 7-8 hours. (But rarely get that urge anymore). I can also easily go to Khon Kaen or Korat in about an hour and a half or to Udon Thani in 3 hours.

With Tesco-Lotus already here and rumors of Big C coming (which I have yet to verify), and Foodland and many hi speed internet locations in downtown Chiayaphum, just 12km away, any needs not handled at home can be met.

Today, I bought a new refrig and new stove/oven at a local store with prices LESS than Tesco-Lotus btw.

My bedroom and bathroom are fully air-conditioned and as of today the giant living room is just cooled by fans. That IS sufficient now but in late March to the end of June (the hot, dry season), I may have to change the living room windows and put in air-conditioning.

We have a 20-30 ft. by 12-14 ft. cemented front porch which is quite nice for "lounging" during the day or just reading a book or listening to the stereo and nearing age 70, that seems to be enough for me. I don't forsee anytime in the future ever needing to stay up past midnite or sleep in after 6AM. But that's just me, everyone has their own lifestyle.

I have everything I need right here and NO MAN ever has everything he "wants" so....

Ken Bower

Chiayaphum Thailand

What a lovely post Ken, you sound truly contented. It is most interesting to note that you chose Thailand after having visited/worked in/become familiar with so many other countries.

I visited Thailand on my once-in-a-life time 6 month round the world trip back in 2002/03. It was so many years between deciding to do the trip & actually going, i totally forgot why the pin was in the world map on the wall in Thailand, so i just went anyway.

The ONLY reason I went to Pattaya was because i'd heard an old friend had a restaurant/bar business there. (& I did find him) I had absolutely no idea Pattaya was the biggest knocking shop in the world. (even though i'd had a very steep learning curve in just a few days in Bangkok!)

I'm considering moving there (I'm 47) & have a good business idea. I THINK I could happily live there (probably East of Sukhumvit Highway) but am concerned what friends back home in the know about about Pattaya would think.

Jonathan.

Hi,

Everybody has their own tastes, but I'd say no matter what my age I'd still be happy in somewhere like Jomtien, just a short trip into the fleshpots of Pattaya. :o I like to be near the sea, seems to have a relaxing effect on me despite all the craziness and noise around. Wouldn't mind living somewhere in Isaan for a while to see what it is like. Generally I think it's best to keep an open mind, but it's nice to have the option to move on. Wouldn't give a damn about friends opinion BTW.

IF I were looking into staying within "striking distance" of Pattaya, I'd only consider Ban Chang, Sattahip, Rayong, and Chantiburi as possible locations for living although I DID love Sriracha back in the 70's.

With the new hospitals completed near U-Tapao, and in Rayong and the one in Chantiburi being almost fully equipped/staffed, anywhere along the Eastern shore would be adequate NOW whereas probably not just a couple of years ago for full time living. I hear that there will also be a new hospital completed in Trat by next year's end. I always liked the Trat/Klong Yai area.

Ken Bower

Chiayaphum

Hi Ken,

Good to hear you have the quality life you want. My wife actually comes from Chaiyaphum and we will be back there for four days when we come for a trip in March/April. Her mumma lives in a small village just outside the main town as well ,not sure the name of it off hand. I will be buying her a washing machine this trip to ease her work load a bit.

I wish to retire in about 15 years (long way off, still a young 40) and also want to retire in LOS, where I haven't even thought about it yet but same as you I like the people and the way of life.

Anyway all the best for the retired life for you and your lady.

Cheers,

Kev

I wish to retire in about 15 years (long way off, still a young 40) and also want to retire in LOS, where I haven't even thought about it yet but same as you I like the people and the way of life.

Fifteen years is a long ways off. When I was in the military my wife and I were sure we would retire in Japan. We even bought a house. Because of the currency exchange we decided against it. He brother now lives in our house. and, we live between Hawaii and Thailand. We seldom even visit Japan.

Ken,

I have been reading your post for a very long time. I remember one of your main concerns was you health. I have very similar problems and like you am comfident I can get all the care I need in Thailand. I wish you the best of luck and good heath.

Hi Ken,

As one who is considering relocating somewhere outside to US where I can have a somewhat better lifestyle than here on my retirement income, I would like to thank you for your posting here. Like many others, have been trying to research world locations for my purposes but it's not easy and so much conflicting infomation from so many viewpoints it's unbelieveable, and not easy to get the straight facts. Now, I'm a coupla of years or so older than you and also don't drink nor am I one who needs the constant action, just want a quiet place to park myself and enjoy a laid back lifestyle. It sure sounds like your location is a prime candidate for doing that and would appreciate it if you could lay out some facts about the cost of living there in comparison to Pattaya(not on my list by the way) for example, you know, the basics such as housing, food, utilities, local transport, etc. I am retired civil service and have the Blue Cross/Shield gov plan for medical which would be primary there, and subj to their deductables as I know Medicare not good overseas(if you're retired military you probably have tri-care of life which is great and good anywhere from what I understand) so I will have at least coverage for the major medical stuff. Like you, I have lived overseas for several years in Japan/Okinawa and didn't get a chance to visit Thailand on a TDY trip until 1975, and really liked it; have been back a coupla of time since retiring and visited Bangkok and Pattaya, both of which are not for me. Thanks again for the lead about your location, and greetings from SV, AZ. Old Bud

P.S. You know what the old saying is about buying property, location, location, location; well, with me it info, info, info.

This caught my attention for a number of reasons, but the most prominent is one of

surprise. At age 40, aren't guys still thinking in terms of accomplishment? Not that one

cannot continue to accomplish things in "retirement', but I'm wondering just what the

mindset is at age 40 for such things. I haven't been 40 for a while, and I do recall that

when I was 40 I was counting money and projecting it with the intent to "change careers" ASAP, but I did not equate that to "retirement".

What's the thinking on this?

Hi Ken; I am planning to do similar to what you have done. I have bought a property just south of Korat and currently spend a few weks a year there. I will retire in 4 or 5 years time and spend my travelling around or relaxing at home. You are right when you say that modern amenities are reaching all parts now. In Korat everything is available; there are plenty of good restaurants; and it's easy to get to and from.

I lived in Bangkok for over five years. It wasn't by choice, it was where I worked. I did quite a bit of travelling throughout Thailand during that five years and decided that Jomtien was where I wanted to retire. The other westerners, the hospitals and the malls tipped the scale for me. I eventually bought a condo and still have it but no longer live in it.

I now live up country in Loei province. It is a beautiful scenic area and nights are cool. (Cold)! If anyone had told me that I would be happy living up country I would have told them they were crazy. It's certainly not for everyone but with the right woman it is great. No malls and very few farangs.

I use the highway 201 going back and forth from Jomtien to Nong Hin so I pass through Chaiyaphum. If my wife had not had the house here I would have chosen Nong Kai/Udon area. Not as scenic but more farang oriented businesses in that area.